Storage lockers at NYP and/or GCT?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pere Flyer

Lead Service Attendant
I’m traveling to NYC next week for a brief overnight trip, and I have plans during the Airbnb’s check-in period. I know Chicago Union Station offers/offered luggage storage lockers to the public (other than the Met Lounge service). Does Penn Station or Grand Central offer a similar service?

I'll often get an AcelaClub pass, simply to store my luggage.
Very useful when I'm arriving in a city early in the morning, and won't be checking in until late at night.
Or I might be just day tripping, and hoping on the train to the next city.

I used Schwartz luggage storage on 37th and 9th Ave near Penn station on Easter Sunday so I could go to church after checking out of an Airbnb. Price was $10 for the day, might be less if you just need a few hours. They used to have another location by Grand Central but that is closed. There is another luggage storage place over that way but I have had good luck with Schwartz the times I used them.

I'll often get an AcelaClub pass, simply to store my luggage.
Very useful when I'm arriving in a city early in the morning, and won't be checking in until late at night.
Or I might be just day tripping, and hoping on the train to the next city.

The lounge in NYP is the only lounge that I won’t use to store luggage. There isn’t a decent place to store it and the one place that is available is a short walk from the door. The amount of foot traffic in the lounge plus the chance at a quick getaway is a no from me.

$10 to store your stuff for 24 hours at the baggage desk. Same place that checked baggage would go before boarding a train. I do it a lot and it works very well. It's $10 per bag, so I always try to consolidate if I can. Good luck!

Thanks for all the responses. Things ended up working out with our Airbnb, but I’ve compiled your recommendations into a list that will hopefully help the next traveler passing through NYC.

Luggage storage near Penn Station:
NYP ClubAcela, free w/ lounge admission
NYP baggage desk, $10
Schwartz Luggage Storage (37th and 9th), $10
Macy’s coat and package check, lower level elevators (35th and Broadway)

Luggage storage near Grand Central Terminal:
CBH Luggage Storage (46th, b/w 5th and 6th)

Let me know of any corrections or additions to the above info, and I’ll happily include it.

Last edited:
9/11 kind of threw that out window.

The vast majority of luggage lockers were removed by the end of the 1980's as transit areas were converted to retail focused shopping spaces that employ transit as a means to promote purchases. General access showers and observation decks were removed or repurposed for similar reasons. The terrorism security myth only accounts for the last 1% or so of mop-up work.

Back