How many hours do you consider safe between train routes?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mitako

Service Attendant
If planning a trip that involves two routes, how many hours minimum do you consider "safe" to not worry about a late arrival meaning you miss your connecting train? For example, if I took the Capital Ltd from DC to Chicago, with an expected arrival time of 8:45 am, and planned on catching the Southwest Chief that afternoon, with an expected departure time of 2:50 pm, would that be a reasonably safe bet? Or do you think it's best to have even more hours between trains?

Personally, I will plan for a hotel stay between trains. The only time that I did not was between the arrival in Los Angeles on the Sunset Limited and the departure of the Southwest Chief that same day.

In March, I went to Seattle via Sacramento from Holland. The planned layover in Sacramento was 10 hours. As we entered western Nebraska on the California Zephyr, we entered into a blizzard/bomb cyclone. The conditions were so bad that our conductor got orders from the dispatcher to stop at every crossing with a signal, get off the train and direct traffic because the guard arms were not working correctly due to the high winds. We were down 12 1/2 hours as we got to Reno. The people who were scheduled to catch the Coast Starlight out of Sacramento were told that there was a van waiting to take us from Reno to Sacramento. If we'd continued on the train, we'd have missed our connection....instead we made it with 50 minutes to spare. Moral to the story, no matter how much time is allowed in the schedule to make a connection, mother nature may have other plans in store. This isn't the first time I've missed, and likely won't be the last, as much as I ride the train.

I'm comfortable making any east to west connection in Chicago. But from western trains to eastern trains, it's 'iffy' in my mind. I've missed connecting to the Capitol Ltd as well as the Cardinal (although we were bused to meet the Cardinal at IND). Given the wild weather these days, I'd feel safest booking a hotel in CHI for the night eastbound, although connecting to the Lakeshore Ltd should work most of the time.

I've got a 6 hour layover in Chicago planned in one direction (constructed own connection) arriving on the Wolverine. Arriving on a LD trip for the return, decided it was better to build in an overnight in Chicago.

Anything can happen but we have never had a problem connecting from the Lake Shore to any of the western trains and only one missed connection eastbound. We do not consider the risk to be significant enough to book a night in Chicago but that is an assessment that each person has to make on their own.

If planning a trip that involves two routes, how many hours minimum do you consider "safe" to not worry about a late arrival meaning you miss your connecting train? For example, if I took the Capital Ltd from DC to Chicago, with an expected arrival time of 8:45 am, and planned on catching the Southwest Chief that afternoon, with an expected departure time of 2:50 pm, would that be a reasonably safe bet? Or do you think it's best to have even more hours between trains?
I usually catch Amtrak out of Chicago with a departure time of around 1:45pm. How I get to Chicago is a different story as I live in Ohio. I Usually catch the Greyhound to Chicago. One time I had to stay overnight and the security guard at the bus station kicked me out. Never again. My bus usually has an arrival time of around 10:30 am when the train leaves at around 1:45pm. That has always worked for me even when train has been late.

Chicago is a great city to enjoy if you have the time and money, but personally, I always book the connections in Chicago.

In general I book travel expecting everything to go as scheduled, and if it doesn’t, I adjust my plan accordingly. I sometimes have caused some extra stress in my life because of this, but I’ve never missed a connection in Chicago! Ha.

Chicago is a great city to enjoy if you have the time and money, but personally, I always book the connections in Chicago.

In general I book travel expecting everything to go as scheduled, and if it doesn’t, I adjust my plan accordingly. I sometimes have caused some extra stress in my life because of this, but I’ve never missed a connection in Chicago! Ha.
Two months ago I had a 22 hour connection in Vancouver--and the Canadian was 17 hours late. Notified Marriott hotel day before scheduled arrival but no refund. However the extra night and meals, and the Rockies in daylight, was great. Glad I was on the evening Cascades!

Oh the Canadian is a different story!!!

Here’s a tip, if you book directly with a hotel brand (Marriott, Hilton, etc.) try calling the brands customer service and explain your situation and try to change your reservation. Once, due to an Amtrak scheduling change, I needed to change both cities and dates, and the holiday inn group (ihg rewards) said as long as I was staying with an ihg hotel they would take care of me. I was platinum with ihg at the time, and it was a pretty major winter storm that made the news, but they were able to change my “non-refundable” reservation.

Obviously this won’t work with Priceline and such, and it works best if you have status with the brands loyalty... but definitely something to consider.

unless its a protected change of trains (ie I'll be put on the next train without having to buy another ticket) I always ensure an overnight layover between trains and I would recommend this to anyone no matter where you are in the world. There was a number of passengers who recently missed their eurostar connection due to a late overnight train arrival in Paris from Milan and Venice and had to fork out £210 for another ticket. I myself nearly got caught out coming back from Brussels due to being delayed at border controlled and almost missed my connection backup to Liverpool. If I had missed it, my next train would have cost me over £190 and I would have had to find a last minute hotel in central London or sleep on the streets. You only make that mistake once!!

For me part of the joy of train travel is experiencing cities I wouldnt otherwise visit and taking a relaxed journey with no stress or worry about late arrivals or tight connections.

It depends on the route I’m connecting from. Going east to west I have no real problem with it. West to east is iffy especially in the winter. Anything with the Canadian has to be overnight. Other VIA trains generally aren’t god awful. In Germany I’ve done quite a few ten minute or less connections. The closest I’ve done was thirty seconds.

Notified Marriott hotel day before scheduled arrival but no refund.

Marriott requires a cancellation 2 days before arrival. If not, there is a one night's charge applied to whatever form of payment was made to hold the reservation.

I love Marriott properties, but I don't care for this change in their reservation policy.

Again.... if you have status with Marriott, try calling the brand, not the individual hotel and explain that you want to change the reservation, and why.

It’s worked for me for both ihg and Hilton. The individual hotels will always tell you no.

Again.... if you have status with Marriott, try calling the brand, not the individual hotel and explain that you want to change the reservation, and why.

It’s worked for me for both ihg and Hilton. The individual hotels will always tell you no.

I appreciate this information. I believed that the two day requirement for cancellations was Corporate policy. It would make no difference whether I called the hotel or the 1-800 number; the answer would be the same. I have not been in such a situation, but there is always the "first time"--which I hope I won't have.

It varies greatly by route and direction as well as destination. West to East is trickier, but it also depends on destination. I can miss a connection with the CL, but still get home on the LSL because my destination is NYP. If I made the CL and missed a connection in Washington, there is almost always another NEC train to go home on. On the other hand, 3 day a week trains like SL or Card can pose unique challenges.

Back