Chicago Union Station Beware (Ceiling Collapse)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seems about right. How much did they spend on the new lounges? Might want to make sure the structure is actually safe first.

Yikes. This brought to my mind a question. Are the tracks always or consistently used by a particular line? For example, does Lakeshore Limited always come in and exit on, (for example) 9 and 12? If so, what trains lines do tracks 5 and 7 (the affected tracks listed in this ceiling fall) serve?

The Amtrak trains don't ALWAYS come in on the same tracks but OFTEN do...but they certainly DO come in the same concourse always (North or South) in Chicago Union Station.

Yikes. This brought to my mind a question. Are the tracks always or consistently used by a particular line? For example, does Lakeshore Limited always come in and exit on, (for example) 9 and 12? If so, what trains lines do tracks 5 and 7 (the affected tracks listed in this ceiling fall) serve?

Don’t know which specific lines use 5 and 7, but those are north side tracks which are almost exclusively used by Metra. Amtrak uses 17 and 19 on the north side. The Hiawatha almost always uses 17 (except for the first train out and last train in, which come from the yard and use the through tracks; often 342 will pull through and unload on the south end, track 38 or whatever it is), and the Empire Builder will be on 19. Any numbers lower than 17 are used by Metra. Metra does typically use the same tracks for the same trains/routes on a daily basis.

Since the beam was rotten and others may be as well do this. Condemn the whole building above the problem and require immediate evacuation of all tenants. Talk abbot a political storm. Then maybe something will get immediately done. To prevent bankruptcy bail out seize all assets of building owner(s).
Criminal mischief charges at least against owners.

Don’t know which specific lines use 5 and 7, but those are north side tracks which are almost exclusively used by Metra. Amtrak uses 17 and 19 on the north side. The Hiawatha almost always uses 17 (except for the first train out and last train in, which come from the yard and use the through tracks; often 342 will pull through and unload on the south end, track 38 or whatever it is), and the Empire Builder will be on 19. Any numbers lower than 17 are used by Metra. Metra does typically use the same tracks for the same trains/routes on a daily basis.

Yes and I know the Michigan trains all use the South Concourse - 352 is almost always on track 18, train 371 often comes into track 30...

Seems about right. How much did they spend on the new lounges? Might want to make sure the structure is actually safe first.
Amtrak doesn't own "the structure" in question, nor is it Amtrak's place to spend so much as a ha'penny fixing it.

As west point's post hints at, the multi-million-dollar companies that own the lucrative air-rights office buildings over the CUS platforms have the responsibility, and the resources, to make sure their structures are in good repair. Amtrak can sue them to make them take their duties seriously, but it's their duty, not Amtrak.

Plus, as anyone who's been to CUS recently can tell you, repair work IS being done. There are construction beams, scaffolding, and construction workers galore on various platforms.

My bad. Amtrak shouldn’t have to think about keeping their customers safe as long as they can point the finger at someone else.

My bad. Amtrak shouldn’t have to think about keeping their customers safe as long as they can point the finger at someone else.
:rolleyes:Absent some clause in the air-rights contracts allowing Chicago Union Station Co./Amtrak to perform repair work on a structure owned by an air-rights owner, by what right (leaving aside duty for now) could Amtrak do the work?

If your building endangers mine, I can sue for nuisance, or ask the City to enforce its building laws, but in general I can't go over with a toolkit and start fixing someone else's building.

If your building endangers mine, I can sue for nuisance, or ask the City to enforce its building laws, but in general I can't go over with a toolkit and start fixing someone else's building.

Depends a great deal on how the agreement was written when the building was erected.

In my case, I own a house that is supplied with water by a shared well. The well is on their side of the property line - but if my tenant's water is out, the shared-well agreement says I can legally trespass on their property, repair the well, and send my neighbor half of the bill.

I would expect that something similar is written in to air rights contracts if the person with air rights causes harm to the ground level owner. (That is, it's probably NOT the same as simply having a neighbor with a hazard on his property; there is some asset the air and ground rights people have a joint interest in / responsibility for.)

Back