Viewliner II Part 4: Sleeping Car production, delivery, deployment

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
CP:

JIS' list includes the renamed VLI .....by the time all the VL2 are all in service some of the rivers may have run dry.....some folks may not have followed the link you posted because it says VL2 in the title, and that list is already visible in the post....

Last edited by a moderator:
Nobody has responded to this question so far, so

The profile in question  is what you see on an engineering (mechanical, not railroad) drawing of the shape of a steel wheel. Viewed at right angle to the axis of rotation.  Like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Train_wheel f you look at the angle to the rail outboard of the flange - getting the conical angle right (and actually that part of the wheel tread isn't conical it's more refined where the metal meets the metal, wheel meets the railhead, which is also more refined and engineered  and accounts for normal wear and tear.

Steel wheels on steel rails - less than two hundred years of engineering refinement.

The wheel profile is where the metal (wheel) meets the road (also metal - special steel)

The details I dunno, but I know there's a lot of serious work done in the last centuries on every last millimeter of that profile.

Like tiny changes of tread slope and such.
I guess I will be the first to respond cannonbal! Unless physics/math was a major, most people on this site would not understand what you are saying and quite naturally would not respond. I personally wondered about these things back in 1976 when I hired out as a brakeman in Buffalo on Conrail after my discharge from the US Army. I was attached to a combat engineer unit and had a license to operate a ton of heavy equipment and nothing scared me until I made my first trip on the head end of a TV train out of Frontier Yard to Collinwood Yard.. I panicked (other crew never knew) every time I saw an approaching train on a curve because the headlight would shine directly on the rails we were on and I thought we were on the same track.. I eventually got over that and I started wondering how in the heck these monster locomotives could go around a curve on top of wood ties and missing spikes and not come off the rails. That's when I became a true railroader I think. I looked at train axles and realized that they had angles that made sense. I understood what flanges were for, I understood why rails had those rounded edges.and I realized that I was hooked!

Personally I'm disappointed there's no Housatonic River on the list. I'd suggest it's a larger, more known river than some of those shown.

The obvious solution is to exercise the 70 car option so more sleepers can be delivered and they can name more rivers.

The obvious solution is to exercise the 70 car option so more sleepers can be delivered and they can name more rivers.
Nice as it would be to have the extra equipment, I suspect we are a bit too far downstream for that to happen.

He was just going with the flow.

Seriously, I was partly joking, but yes, I do think Amtrak SHOULD take advantage of the option, but I don't expect them too, especially under this administration.

Seriously, I was partly joking, but yes, I do think Amtrak SHOULD take advantage of the option, but I don't expect them too, especially under this administration.
Even if they did, it would probably be in the latter half of this century that they will finally arrive. :lol:

Even if they did, it would probably be in the latter half of this century that they will finally arrive. :lol:
Truth!

Actually... at this rate, if the option is still available, they'll be in place to exercise it right after the 2020 elections. That could be convenient :)

E826761B-BC2D-4D4A-8593-F7B1CD7DB3E7.jpeg While passing through the yard in Hialeah (on train 97), I’m pretty sure saw the Rapidan River sleeper hanging out.

Rapidan River, 62502, is headed back to Florida on 97(03).
That explains my double take when I saw it go by tonight heading into WIL. Had I known 97 was running 40 mins late I would have been prepared to get a pic or video of it even though I did not know the new sleeper was on it.

Was it in revenue service? I thought I only counted four viewliners. And I don't think there was sleeper behind the baggage car, but I could be mistaken as there were trees and bushes blocking some of my view.

3D4BD7B9-8727-4E89-B2BF-B60303540B9A.jpeg
Rapidan River, 62502, is headed back to Florida on 97(03).

Rapidan River was behind the engines. I was able to get a quick photo as it passed me on the platform. I was unable to walk up to the car and get a better shot. It seemed like hundreds of passengers were detraining from coach in Orlando.

View attachment 13339

Rapidan River was behind the engines. I was able to get a quick photo as it passed me on the platform. I was unable to walk up to the car and get a better shot. It seemed like hundreds of passengers were detraining from coach in Orlando.

Ah, I missed it on the front of the train. Thanks for the clarification.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back