Baltimore Penn Station Questions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello,

My Wife and I will be taking a cruise out of Baltimore in November. We have decided that instead of driving from Florida we will be taking the Silver Meteor to Baltimore. I was trying to find out if there is a specific area to wait for a ride share pickup? From looking at google maps there appears to be a proper taxi stand but I can't find info on anything else.

Thanks for your help.

There are some good web articles on the subject. It isn't very far from Baltimore Penn to the cruise terminal. Funny, I was just looking at cruises out of Baltimore last night, my sister and brother in law are flying in for a wedding in Sept and we were thinking I might meet them (trin from NYP) so I scoped this out 12 hours ago....

We'll be taking a cruise out of Baltimore next week after arriving on the Carolinian the night before. We plan to take rail to the Sheraton then Uber to Cruise Port. I'll try and remember to post any info of use.

If I recall correctly, another option from Baltimore Penn Station is the light rail that runs from it to the harbor. I’ve never taken it for a cruise connection, but I have for a Convention Center event. Not bad at all.

There is no designated area. There's one lane for taxis (the taxi stand you mention) just outside the doors and the lane outside that one (it's actually a circular drive) is for private vehicle pickup, including rideshare. It can be a bit of a zoo during busy times, but it's not too difficult finding yours with the license plate and app.

There is no designated area. There's one lane for taxis (the taxi stand you mention) just outside the doors and the lane outside that one (it's actually a circular drive) is for private vehicle pickup, including rideshare. It can be a bit of a zoo during busy times, but it's not too difficult finding yours with the license plate and app.

A "bit of a zoo?" Tell me about it. The best part of being retired is not having to deal with it every day. In fact, about a month before my last day, my wife finally got so sick of fighting the traffic in the circle that she told me to drive down myself, even if we did have to pay for parking. (The lot on Lanvale St. is cheaper than the garage.)

That said, I think the mess is worst for the evening rush, and unless the Meteor is spectacularly late, you will avoid that. I think it's scheduled to come in at 8:30 or 9:00 in the morning, and if you're lucky, it might be a hour or so late, so you shouldn't have any problem with traffic. At 8:30 AM, there will be traffic getting through downtown Baltimore, as it's still the rush hour.

I wish they could do something about the traffic mess. Maybe extend the concourse to bridge over the tracks and conect to the parking lot on Lanvale St., proving a cell phone lot for people picking up passengers. Or something.

I was figuring it would be something like that. Thanks for the info!

A little more background for the original post. Will will be arriving the day before we leave on our cruise so we have some time to sight see in Baltimore. I had wanted to try to take the light rail or subway to our hotel the morning we arrive but the line that serves our hotel does not go to the train station and would require a couple connections. We are going on a 14 day cruise so dragging all that luggage on and off the metro sounds like a pain. Likewise the light rail would drop us off about 4 blocks from our hotel and again I don't want to drag all that luggage through downtown. So a ride share it will be.

wish they could do something about the traffic mess. Maybe extend the concourse to bridge over the tracks and conect to the parking lot on Lanvale St., proving a cell phone lot for people picking up passengers. Or something.
They're eliminating this lot as part of the redevelopment, so no such luck. I park at the Meyerhoff/Lyric garage which is a few blocks away but cheaper than either, at least monthly.

Partially on the subject. Does Baltimore have luggage storage. And what is the best way to reach the B&O museum from Penn station. I’ll be coming in on 79 and leaving on 171 in a few weeks.

In large cities, I’ve found it much easier to hop in a waiting taxi than call an Uber and try to figure out where I’m supposed to wait.

Partially on the subject. Does Baltimore have luggage storage. And what is the best way to reach the B&O museum from Penn station. I’ll be coming in on 79 and leaving on 171 in a few weeks.

There is baggage storage for a fee. Taxi /car service about 2 miles to B&O museum or less expensive option light rail to Camden Yards then 3/4 mile walk/taxi or bus. I have done all three. From B&O museum I waited for bus but walked while waiting and beat the bus back to Camden station.

The OP was looking for options to get from Bal-Penn to the cruise ship terminal area, and another poster asked if any of us who are familiar with Baltimore could chip in with info on Bal-Penn to the Museum since he was going there in the near future....

The OP was looking for options to get from Bal-Penn to the cruise ship terminal area, and another poster asked if any of us who are familiar with Baltimore could chip in with info on Bal-Penn to the Museum since he was going there in the near future....
Did that post get edited or deleted because I'm not seeing it. I had looked before I asked and I just looked again. (or am dealing with selective seeing - which happens a lot when I'm debugging my code :eek: )

In large cities, I’ve found it much easier to hop in a waiting taxi than call an Uber and try to figure out where I’m supposed to wait.
In NYC I always take yellow cabs but in Baltimore I always use Lyft. Why? It's cheaper, the cars are cleaner and in better shape, and I do not get someone telling me a sob story towards the end of my trip so as to elicit a larger tip.

That's what I did when I arrived in Washington. My Nephew was planning on picking me up, but I couldn't determine where it would be best to meet him given the chaotic traffic situation at Union Station. I got a taxi and it worked out well with less stress for both us.

This probably won't work for the original poster, but I'll put it here for future searches of this thread. When I was in Baltimore a few years ago, I used the free Charm City Circulator buses to get around -- Purple Line from Union Station to my hotel, Orange Line from my hotel to the B&O Museum. I wouldn't recommend it with a lot of luggage, but it worked fine for me.

Back