Amtrak Menu Page Update

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maverickstation

Lead Service Attendant
On the Amtrak website the page that discusses Dining car menus has finally been updated to
show the current Long Distance Dining Car Menu, and then only the other trains that have a unique
menu, Auto Train, Capital, Cardinal, CONO, and the Lake Shore. Prior to this it still LOOKED like
every LD train had it's own menu.

https://www.amtrak.com/onboard/meals-dining/dining-car.html

I think the current long distance menu is pretty solid and good prices. (Other than the $39 land and sea).

Still miss the ice cream, but at least they have the vanilla pudding for those who can’t eat the “specialty” desserts.

Looks like the Cardial is still the only LD train with French toast for breakfast. As I'll probably never take the Cardinal, there's no reason for me to bring maple syrup (the stuff from maple trees) just for use on the train. <sigh>

Well you can use your maple syrup on the pancakes if you want.... or you can just wait until they replace the pancakes with French toast again. Ha.

Looks like the Cardial is still the only LD train with French toast for breakfast. As I'll probably never take the Cardinal, there's no reason for me to bring maple syrup (the stuff from maple trees) just for use on the train. <sigh>
Yay! Woohoo! Railroad French Toast lives!!!

So looks like the cheese / fruit plates have been removed from dessert. The LD train menu design is looking like BOB menus in the seat pockets of airlines. :D
Someone's an idiot. They just killed the only dessert which can be eaten by people with serious dietary restrictions.

Someone's an idiot. They just killed the only dessert which can be eaten by people with serious dietary restrictions.
Although it was on the menu, it was rarely available. It was not a good choice for passengers who are lactose intolerant. People with "serious" dietary restrictions probably have a difficult time eating on a train, on a plane and in most restaurants.

You could always ask the dining car staff if they have any fruit available for dessert, if you can’t have another menu option. They may have some stocked for breakfast they would serve you.

I'm not the only nutcase that takes my own real maple syrup to restaurants and trains.

At least they have real butter. I take real butter with me when I know a restaurant doesn't have it and I need it (baked potato or biscuit e.g.).

I'm not the only nutcase that takes my own real maple syrup to restaurants and trains.

At least they have real butter. I take real butter with me when I know a restaurant doesn't have it and I need it (baked potato or biscuit e.g.).

Always good to be self sufficient, prepared for whatever happens. Nothing nutcase-like about that!

The city of new orleans has the same menu we had on a trip last fall. The food was the worst I ever ate about anywhere. My mom ordered the Cesare and it came plain lettuce and nothing resembling a Cesare salad. The sandwiches were so bad I left most of it. A soggy gooey mess of some kind of nasty sauce and some tough meat. Its one reason I am not tempted to take it again any time soon. I see on the opposite direction that they have a far more variable menu. They should do the same both ways.

Yay! Woohoo! Railroad French Toast lives!!!

Doesn't the Cardinal have those generic frozen French toast sticks? I don't think it's the same thing.

So looks like the cheese / fruit plates have been removed from dessert. The LD train menu design is looking like BOB menus in the seat pockets of airlines.

Airline BOB menus typically have fruit and/or cheese so if anything they're actually fresher and more varied than Amtrak's pantry menu. I've encountered cheese and fruit options on Alaska, Delta, and Japan Airlines in recent memory.

People with "serious" dietary restrictions probably have a difficult time eating on a train, on a plane and in most restaurants.

Airlines aren't exactly great at meeting special dietary restrictions but they're still lightyears ahead of anything I've seen from Amtrak.

I'm not the only nutcase that takes my own real maple syrup to restaurants and trains. At least they have real butter. I take real butter with me when I know a restaurant doesn't have it and I need it (baked potato or biscuit e.g.).

In my experience when you pour real maple syrup on pancakes and waffles mixed for corn syrup use it tends to make them soggy and unappetizing.

Back