London to Baja California ~ across America

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Monday 1 January 2019 ... Day 19 ~ Pasadena Rose Parade - Part II

France ~ Sunday 7 April 2019

The second half of the Rose parade, a few of the floats and characters

s66628a.jpg

Next up is the Tree Frog Night float, the one we helped a little to decorate 2 days before. Unfortunately the fish we gave a gloss to was on the far side of the float, didn't get to see it... The good news was our wonderful float won 1st prize for a volunteer built float.

s66629a.1.jpg

For us this was the most impressive float, the scale was overwhelming

s66635a.jpg

s66641a.jpg

Never seen Mules before, impressive looking animals

s66643a.jpg

s66644a.jpg

s66649a.jpg

s66653a.jpg

s66659a.jpg

s66662a.jpg

To be continued...

Monday 1 January 2019 ... Day 19 ~ Pasadena Rose Parade - Part III

Third and final part of the Rose parade, at last a train connection too. This was the last but one float, to celebrate the 150th anniversary this year of the Golden Spike ceremony to be held at Ogden, UT at the end of this month. More importantly it was built to represent all the Chinese workers who had such a large part in constructing the coast to coast railways.
The float was based on a photo of the occasion, it was a brilliant piece of float building but had the bad luck to catch fire just as it started off, it wasn't allowed to proceed on the parade route. Feel very sorry for all the people connected with this float, most take up to a year to plan and construct.
Felt even more sorry for the float stuck behind the Golden Spike float. They were the last to start but couldn't move until the fire was put out, then the damaged float had to be driven to start to allow the last float to pass. Second photo is taken at road level, gives a different perspective to the size of these floats.

s66667a.jpg

n11784a.jpg

We would highly recommend the Rose Parade, and you are unlikely to get weather we had as this was the coldest Rose Parade for 17 years.
Couldn't leave for an hour as couldn't back out of our parking slot, when we could Milton whisked us back to the Canoga Park area then down to Mimi's for lunch. For the rest of that day we slopped around working hard at doing nothing, we were all very tired.

Tuesday 2 January Day 20 ~ Chez Milton's

We have a whole day to prepare for our next rail journey, the Coast Starlight from Van Nuys up to Salinas, then across to Monterey by Thruway bus. Rosie and I convinced ourselves that we needed fruit and supplies for tomorrow's journey, best excuse yet to call into the Mexican bakery around the corner for more cakes.

That evening Milton's nephew Peter arrived for a visit, he is the epitome of an enterprising American business man. Very personable, friendly and sharp, we had an entertaining 5 hours talking about all things, but the best was his insights into modern and future business practices, the trends in energy use and supply, and that 4 weeks later he would be in London and could we find time to spend some time with him.
His trip to London was to present ideas to the British Parliament, then give a couple of talks to relevant people either in power or business.
We missed him by one day, we were in central London the day after he left, our business took us within a 1/2 mile of Parliament too. What a shame as he was both enjoyable and fascinating company, still another time, another place maybe.

Big day tomorrow, we are all looking forward to our short break away from LA.

NOTE: re the Ogden, UT rail celebrations and the Big Boy engine.
A dear friend of ours, Hans from Holland is also an admirer of the US, and has decided to desert his wife and turn up in Ogden for the train events. His special interest is the Big Boy engines, he's already seen one of them in the workshops near to Denver.
He has a motor bike in the US, he stores it with friends and will use it to ride to Laramie, WY and follow the train(s) down to Ogden. He is spending most of the time on his own, so if you are also going to this event or see a biker on a red Honda ST it could well be Hans, could you give him a wave please as I know he'll feel a bit lonely.

He's a pretty good photographer too, if there is any interest in photos of these trains actually running just let me know and I'll ask if I can post some here for the forum.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the excellent photos and the explanation of the whole parade event, sorry if I asked a dumb question!
You always seem to pack so much into your trips and your reports, it feels like I am looking over your shoulder as I read.
Certainly any photos from your friend of the steam engines would be great!

Ed.

Thanks Ed, if the thread works it's by accident, but appreciate you thinking that.

The flip side is when you write about your India journeys I feel as though I can hear, see and smell where you are too, and I've never been there so thanks for the experience.

Totally different subject. Are you watching the BBC2 'Race Across the World' program series? Pleased to see that much of it is by rail and bus and it's all places on our to visit sometime soon list. The program is a bit naff in places, and has a few unanswered questions too, but the contestants in this game show are occasionally put into real life travel situations (as you will well recognise) and as the series has progressed they have learned they must rely increasingly on train travel to complete their journeys.

I think that it's possible to pick this up online if people outside the UK are interested, there are 6 episodes with the last one this evening, but all are on the BBC iPlayer if you have a VPN? to enable access to a region only programs.

Where you headed next Ed?

We have had 2 long journeys in our minds for the last 6 months, Argentina and Chile, and central Asia. This tv program has swung it for us as it is possibly the most varied area of the two, but after a tiny slice of visiting Mexico (will come later in this thread) and meeting people from other central and south American countries it draws us heavily too.
Your friend's overland journey with his son is always on my desk top, I re-read it from time to time.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iPlayer

Last edited:
It sounds as if Rosie's eye problem is fully resolved, if you are looking at long distance travels again?

I had a look at the "Race across the world", but didn't like the competitive tone of the programme, everything seems to be about winning nowadays, bake off, strictly come dancing, choirs, not to mention x factor etc.
Gosh I am turning into a moaning old man!
I will give the programme another try on iplayer, I accept that there is a clue in the word "race"... :)

No long distance travels planned at all, so far this year I have had a couple of weeks in southern Spain, a week in Torquay, and a fortnight in the Algarve, where my new avatar pic was taken. Looking at a few weeks in Turkey in May, but who knows, might get a bit drunk and book something further afield!

Ed.

Yes all clear for Rosie thank you, life is back to normal trying to dodge Brexit, work and settling on the next journey.

That Race Across the World episode last night was the worst in both our opinion, but in part agree with you as when we saw the odd gaping hole in the story we agreed to tell the other "it's only a game show". There is much more about train and bus travel in the first 5 programs, just remember 'it's only....... '

Flights from London to Buenos Aires are pretty good value when I last looked, and Argentina looks so interesting. Just an idea.

We have deliveries coming up in May including Scotland and the south west UK, maybe Zurich too but the clients said it could also be London. After that we are going to relax for 4 or 5 days down in the Landes department. Bit of cycling (it's totally flat) and a few great surf beaches there too (for us to just sit and watch have to add). Than back to work and Brexit while waiting our chance to travel again.

Thursday 3 January Day 21 ~ Coast Starlight northbound ~ Part 1

France ~ Saturday 13 April 2019

Amtrak 14 Coast Starlight - Departing Van Nuys, CA at 10:40am 3 January 2019 - Arriving Salinas Station 6:28pm same day ~ Business Class

Transfer to 3614 Amtrak Thruway Bus - Departing 6:35pm same day - Arriving Monterey Transit Plaza 7:25pm same day

All up early, we all three are looking forward to one of the great Amtrak rides, travelling right along the Pacific coast for much of the way from Van Nuys to Salinas. At Salinas Amtrak station there is a connecting Amtrak Thruway bus through to Monterey Transit Center, more or less door to door (which amazingly it turned out to be).

Norma turns up with a big smile bright and bushy tailed, no idea where she finds the energy at her age. She runs us to the station, we are dropped right by the platform and can see the new building works in different places. Train comes in on time, but no Business Class coach. Follow the Coach passengers and wait our turn, told we are at the wrong end of the train but attendant a bit sharp and grumpy. Head off for the other end and see a single car attendant, this must be it as no other doors open, but the car says Coach. Oh dear, we have missed something, but we can ask. "Good morning, where is the Business Class coach please?", answer in a not too happy voice "we'll here of course!" "but, it says Coach on this car" now feeling more and more stupid. "It's this car!"

Although we have never travelled business before we have seen the Business Class cars marked as Business Class but we are missing something obviously, what a grumpy crew though. "Upstairs and to the left"... "Ok, may we sit on the left side of the car?" (which we don't think is business anyway, it shows 'Coach') as that is the side for the ocean further along. "You're putting demands on me!". At this point we board with numbers for our seats, I am now feeling less polite than usual but lets wait and see.
Rosie and I get left sided seats, Milton is 2 rows back on the other side. Can Milton sit behind or in front of us as all the seats around us are empty? "No!", oh dear, something must have upset this crew before they started this journey, this isn't usual for Amtrak.
After Santa Barbara we change seats to sit together as no one takes any of the seats around us, we do this without asking the attendant. If she had objected I was ready for a discussion about her seating arrangements, but she melted away for the rest of our trip.

The car was a Business Class car, apparently converted? from Coach but without new signage. We learn this a few weeks later from a crew on a Pacific Surfliner, they were a total delight, fun and very pleasant too.

Apart from the initial staff attitude the rest of the journey was wonderful, we are not easily offended so laugh it off. How can you not have a good time in a spacious, comfortable and luxury car with amazing scenery going by. Leave the rest of the journey to the photos, are these too many?

And here she comes into Van Nuys, on time...
1-n11791a.jpg

The Ventura Highway I believe
2-s66673a.jpg

People just love a train...
3-s66679a.jpg

How close to the ocean do you want to get
4-s66687a.jpg

5-n11799a.jpg

6-n11801a.jpg

7-s66706a.jpg

Even closer
8-s66707a.jpg

To be continued...

Last edited:
Never too many photos, Jamie--especially of the lovely ocean! (Even if the Pacific is on the "wrong" side to those of us who live on the east coast!:D)

A crew member said "You're putting demands on me"? That is a first, I believe. Good grief. I can think of many snarky remarks as replies, but of course you and Rosie would be much too polite to use them (plus of course no point in tempting them to throw you off the train--"Look, I just got rid of more passengers--let's see if we can empty out the whole car so I don't have to do any work at all!":D)

Nice ocean photos, Salinas valley is a great view from the train. Too bad you didn't have time to check out the John Steinbeck museum before going on to Monterrey an area of many sights and tours. Hope you was able to enjoy some of them

Never too many photos, Jamie--especially of the lovely ocean! (Even if the Pacific is on the "wrong" side to those of us who live on the east coast!:D)

A crew member said "You're putting demands on me"? That is a first, I believe. Good grief. I can think of many snarky remarks as replies, but of course you and Rosie would be much too polite to use them (plus of course no point in tempting them to throw you off the train--"Look, I just got rid of more passengers--let's see if we can empty out the whole car so I don't have to do any work at all!":D)

Had never heard of the phrase before but thought we understood it nevertheless, it's why we both remember it with such clarity. We are visitors and as visitors it's not our place to say certain things. I've handled far worse than this in my time, but she was the third person in this crew that wasn't on top form so guessed there was a problem through-out the train. At the end of the day we just ignored the attendant on the few times we were in proximity, and it didn't spoil our journey at all. Have to add this behaviour was the first time in more than 25 Amtrak journeys, so just a blip.
I did ask Milton who has travelled from upper New York to LA by train for more than 60 years if this was ok what was happening, but he's an extremely mild mannered man and just raised his eyebrows a couple of times, obviously it wasn't the end of the world or he would have said so... I think?

Nice ocean photos, Salinas valley is a great view from the train. Too bad you didn't have time to check out the John Steinbeck museum before going on to Monterrey an area of many sights and tours. Hope you was able to enjoy some of them

Thanks ano, more down to the cameras than us. We were in Salinas a year ago, and visited the Steinbeck Center. As he is possibly my all time hero the center visit is one of the highlights of my life. If the ocean train ride wasn't such a draw we would ride the San Joachin more often. Steinbeck painted the picture of the central valleys and we have travelled it once, it's just such a superb journey.

Rosie and I agree that if we were ever to live in America then central California would be in the top 3 places we would choose, in particular the town of San Luis Obispo as it's not too big or too small.

Thanks for the comments, I'd agree with all that you wrote if someone is looking to visit California.

Thursday 3 January Day 21 ~ Coast Starlight northbound ~ Part II

France ~ Sunday 14 April 2019

Amtrak 14 Coast Starlight - Departing Van Nuys, CA at 10:40am 3 January 2019 - Arriving Salinas Station 6:28pm same day ~ Business Class

Transfer to 3614 Amtrak Thruway Bus - Departing 6:35pm same day - Arriving Monterey Transit Plaza 7:25pm same day

Passing the huge Vandenberg Air Force base on our right side, plenty of strange shaped buildings and rocket launch facilities to gain our attention over mile after mile. As Milton is a retired rocket scientist he has some great snippets of information to pass on, what a great train ride this is for us.

9-s66713a.jpg

Possibly my favourite ocean shot of this trip
10-s66724a.jpg

Sculpture
11-s66738a.jpg

Busy small station, San Luis Obispo (SLO)
12-n11817a.jpg

13-s66758a.jpg

A smiling face at the window
14-s66761a.jpg

Did I mention we like SLO, perfect setting for a station
15-s66762a.jpg

Roomy and comfortable Business Class
16-s66774a.jpg

Not too long after this last photo we arrive in Salinas, but not before we are stopped for an hour just outside the town. A bicycle had been seen on or by the track, the engineer stopped the train as there was the possibility there had been an accident. The police held the train while they checked under the train and in the brush and bushes along side the tracks. Conclusion, it was a hoax.

Arrived late in Salinas, but our Thruway bus was still sitting there waiting for us 8 in total passengers headed to Monterey. The driver was great as he appeared to know all the passengers apart from us strangers. As conversation flew around the bus there was a lot of laughing and obvious camaraderie. In the words of a certain B Dylan, 'a jolly saucy crew'.
The driver went out of his way to make every one including us feel included, just what we needed. When each of the other 5 passenger got off at their various stops they all made a point of saying goodbye to us too . We were the last 3 to get off as our stop was the end of the line, we were scheduled for the center of town at the transit center. The driver asked where we were headed and when told our hotel said it's only 1/2 a mile from the transit center and it was on his way home, so he would be happy to drop us off outside our hotel. How nice is that, what service.

So after another special Amtrak train journey we ended on a high, can't ask for more.

Friday 4 January Day 22 ~ Monterey, CA ~ Part I

France ~ Monday 29 April 2019

Back to the journey...

Warm bright day and we're soon off to the Monterey Aquarium by bus. $1.25 each, and a smiling, happy and helpful driver which seems to be the norm around here. Short queue and we are in and are being asked by volunteers if we need help, but we can see from inside where we are headed, to the decking over the ocean. Controlled natural rockpools are a feature of this large aquarium, plus the views across the bay vary between interesting and beautiful.

Someone mentioned there can't be enough photos, so here they are... starting with our favourites, jellyfish

s66791a.jpg

s66796a.jpg

s66799a.jpg

s66808a.jpg

Not sure what this fish is, but impressive would be a description
s66814a.jpg

s66819a.jpg

A happy face
s66820a.jpg

s66821a.jpg

s66827a.jpg

Lovely setting for an aquarium
s66834a.jpg

To be continued...

Friday 4 January Day 22 ~ Monterey, CA ~ Part II

France ~ Monday 29 April 2019

Few more photos at the aquarium...

Not sure what's going on here
s66844a.jpg

These two were inseparable
n11855a.jpg

... but you wonder why
s66854a.jpg

s66855a.jpg

s66858a.jpg

They looked almost metallic
s66859a.jpg

My hero, Steinbeck being pooped on
s66865a.jpg

Another recommendation if you have never visited, Monterey Aquarium is far more varied than shown here, it also has research and educational purposes too. It helps we very much like Monterey out of season, a very friendly place that is so laid back with a lot to do too.

After walking back to town along the sea shore we get a bus across to the airport (75 cents each), with yet another friendly driver. Must be something in the water here. It was the last bus of the day to the airport and we were early for our car collection, our car wasn't even in yet. To our surprise they offered another very suitable one so we "didn't have to wait". Thanks Enterprise, very good service.

That evening an enjoyable Vietnamese meal just along from our hotel and an early night so we can get away early tomorrow for our drive down the 'Big Sur', the coast road Highway 1.

So, you were in Monterey in early January. Good time to go as far as tourists/crowds etc.? Also, curious where you stayed while you were there, hotel, B&B? I have been trying to plan a trip there, traveling south from Seattle, basically to spend a couple of days at the Aquarium and hanging out at Cannery Row. Any specific recommendations would be appreciated. Great pictures by the way, and looks like you had a great time!

So, you were in Monterey in early January. Good time to go as far as tourists/crowds etc.? Also, curious where you stayed while you were there, hotel, B&B? I have been trying to plan a trip there, traveling south from Seattle, basically to spend a couple of days at the Aquarium and hanging out at Cannery Row. Any specific recommendations would be appreciated. Great pictures by the way, and looks like you had a great time!

There were no crowds in January although the area around Cannery Row and the aquarium had more people there than in the town. The previous year we were there for whale watching in I think early/mid March, that was a little warmer in the evenings and a little busier, but still not busy.
Could imagine that during public holidays and vacation time it could get really busy, but don't really know that.

We stayed at a Days Inn, 1288 Munras Avenue, Monterey. $65 per night including breakfast for 2 people. It's basic, clean, everything worked including heating for the evening and the breakfast was better than basic. Close to the center, bus stop (important for us) outside the door. Non chain eateries (Vietnamese) 200 yards away in the same street and a small mall across the road with 3 or 4 other eateries one of which we tried and was good too. Plenty of parking at the hotel for a car.

In town there are a lot of cafes and restaurants, one in particular was heavily recommended but doesn't open until evening and we missed our chance.

Just a thought. Parking close to the aquarium is very expensive, even if you arrive in Monterey by car it may be better to take a bus from your hotel.

The fact that some of Steinbeck's life was lived in Monterey drew us initially (there's a fair bit about him and his friend 'Doc' near Cannery Row), and the fact that people obviously visit for all sorts of reasons, but doesn't feel like a holiday town. It feels like it's where laid back people live rather than visit, and we enjoyed the atmosphere of an easy going place to be.
The highlights for us are the wildlife that is in and around the harbour and Fisherman's Wharf, the whale watching, the walks along the coast out to the point, and the aquarium. It has some great beaches but we aren't very attracted to endless beaches unless there's something on them (as in this travelogue in the next report, still to be written) or surfers or such. There are large kelp beds between Fisherman's Wharf and the aquarium, quite a lot of scuba diving there due to the wildlife it attracts.

To sum it up it feels like pleasant small town California by the sea.

My favorite at the Monterrey Aquarium was the sunfish. A big fish that was really slow. They were feeding the fish and all of the other fish were darting about grabbing all of the food. That poor thing would get lined up with a piece of food, moving very slowly. Either another fish would grab it or he would be too slow and totally miss. But he kept trying. Took several passes but finally he was able to grab some food. The whole place roared with a cheer and applause from the audience. ;)

My favorite at the Monterrey Aquarium was the sunfish. A big fish that was really slow. They were feeding the fish and all of the other fish were darting about grabbing all of the food. That poor thing would get lined up with a piece of food, moving very slowly. Either another fish would grab it or he would be too slow and totally miss. But he kept trying. Took several passes but finally he was able to grab some food. The whole place roared with a cheer and applause from the audience. ;)

Excellent!

There were no crowds in

To sum it up it feels like pleasant small town California by the sea.
It's a great place. Never lived there, but spent some time in the area. Specifically, Ft. Ord doing basic training. Quite a few yrs. back.
I'm excited to find out I'll be doing some traveling in your neck of the woods in June. London to Bristol then to Brighton. Also Antwerp Belgium, through France to Vitirio Spain. My spelling may be incorrect. Just now making plans.

It's a great place. Never lived there, but spent some time in the area. Specifically, Ft. Ord doing basic training. Quite a few yrs. back.
I'm excited to find out I'll be doing some traveling in your neck of the woods in June. London to Bristol then to Brighton. Also Antwerp Belgium, through France to Vitirio Spain. My spelling may be incorrect. Just now making plans.

Major tip for any UK visit. If you enjoy heated discussion then mention Brexit, if you prefer a quiet life pretend it isn't happening. hahaha.

Like any major city there is a lot to see and do in London, best pick a small number of favourites and stick with those as you'll get drawn in to other things along the way too. Don't know your finances but if you are on a budget then find a hotel up to an hour's train ride from say Westminster, it will save you a fair amount and you'll get to see how the commuter rail and tube work.

The other 2 cities are interesting picks, may I ask why them? I would recommend both if you like being with people, just don't hear of people from overseas wanting to visit them.

Also why Antwerp, it's not an obvious pick but a lot going for it. Do you mean Vitoria in northern Spain?

How are you travelling? What do you want from your journey? How long will it be? What can't you miss? Have you ever been to Europe before?

If you have any specific questions just ask, always pleased to help. If you can flesh out what you intend or even imagine on your vacation Rosie and I will try to make recommendations based on what you want.

Sounds exciting

Thanks for the interest and information. I'm just tagging along with my son and the band he's in. Going to have about 4 days in England before first show in Brighton. Then on to the rest of the locations I've mentioned. They travel in a comfortable van type vehicle and keep the mileage down between shows, so there is some time to explore. My son and I plan on renting a car to drive across France from Belgium to Spain. For me it's a trip to see a few places and get a feel for hopefully traveling to Europe with my wife next year.

Back