Chicago Metropolitan Lounge Questions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We'll be in the Chicago Metropolitan Lounge next month and I have a couple of probably silly questions. After a night sleeping in Business Class I am going to want a shower. Will I need to bring soap and a hair dryer with me? If they have hair dryers it will be 1 less thing I have to carry.

Thanks!

Soap and towels provided--don't know about hair dryers since I don't use one. The soap (and shampoo IIRC) is in a dispenser on the wall of the shower. The women's shower room is spacious, accessed at the far end of the women's rest room.

You have to give the desk attendant your driver's license or ID which they retain as security for your returning the shower key. Then they give you the key and a package containing a towel and a washcloth. The soap and shampoo are in a dispenser on the wall just as Tricia indicated. I don't recall any hair dryers in the men's shower. The showers are very nice and if I have time between trains I will take a shower there instead of on the train.

You have to give the desk attendant your driver's license or ID which they retain as security for your returning the shower key.

In a time and country where identify theft is both easy and rampant this outdated requirement makes no rational sense. They should simply charge a refundable deposit instead. That way both parties can remain reasonably protected without having to expose themselves to unnecessary threats.

Photos...

IMG_6776.JPG
IMG_6777.JPG

It was clean, and very nice. Used it after a day of bike riding in Chicago. Took the Hoosier State (Business Class) round-trip on a Sunday in August. I was clean and relaxed for the trip home. Highly recommended – wouldn’t have done the trip without it.

Unfortunately, looks like something I won’t be able to repeat this summer.

Spacious shower!

A hairdryer has other uses besides drying hair; taking wine labels off of bottles, drying clothes that you wash in the sink that aren't dry when it's time to pack them up in the morning....

OK - I'll Bite.

Why would anyone want to remove a label from a wine bottle ?
For bottling home-brewed alcohol. My friends use old bottles for mead and beer.

Also, you can use them for various arts & crafts. I like to use them as candleholders, like you see in old Italian restaurants. I leave the labels on, though.

OK - I'll Bite.

There are wine logs out there where you can make notes on wines you try and you can remove the labels and then paste them in the book too.

OK - I'll Bite.

We're visiting wineries in every state. It's easier to bring home a label from a bottle of wine that we enjoyed than empty wine bottles. Wine labels are also easier to display on a wall than empty wine bottles.

Back