Parking at Winter Park, FL Amtrak Station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KSOC

Train Attendant
My wife & I are planning a trip to NYC. Possibly departing at Winter Park,FL Amtrak Station, catching the Silver Meteor. At this time I have no one to drop us off/pick us up. I know some of you folks are familiar with WPK, is parking a vehicle Saturday to Thursday possible? I'll likely call a cab or ride share, but did notice there is plenty of parking in the lot. And getting there on a Saturday means plenty of open spaces.

This isn't about cost, it's about convenience. We'll each have luggage. When we fly we usually just pay to park. I'd take my oldest vehicle & doesn't matter if it sits outside. Being a Saturday means Sunrail is not running or I'd grab a ride to the nearest station (about 1 mile from me & 1 stop from Winter Park) & return that way too. I guess DeLand is an option too, but don't see much parking there & it's a bit further away.

Orlando Station?

Just curious if anyone else has done this.

Thoughts?

The WPK Amtrak station has a small parking lot for Amtrak customers, however, it is often full. I believe you would need to get a parking pass to park there overnight (if you managed to snag a spot). The large lot is run by the City of Winter Park and there is a time limit on parking (I think 3 hours). There is a farmer's market on Saturdays very close to the station and large lot. The lot is often full.

The Orlando Amtrak station has more parking spaces, but sometimes that is full. When I am going away for one to two nights (and SunRail is not an option), I drive to the Orlando station and park there. I try to arrive in plenty of time just in case the lot is full and I have to drive home (2.5 miles) and take a ride service. I have been lucky every time. When parking in the Orlando station overnight, a form must be filled out and presented to a ticket agent (with ticket information). The Orlando station is not in the best neighborhood (no where as good as the WPK station) and once I have seen many cars vandalized. When I park at the station, I try to park on the platform side of the parking lot as opposed to the street side (even though there is more shade on the street side).

I live between the ORL and WPK stations - closer to ORL.

Thank you pennyk. Sounds like a car service is in order. I didn't even think about the farmers market. That would not be good having to turn back toward home - at least an extra hour down & back!

Back