RFP issued for Amfleet I replacement

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Everyone will be competing, too big of a order not to.  Of course Siemens is the to beat.
Unless they go the EMU/DMU route, I can't imagine anyone else but Siemens. You can add the ACS to one end, the SC-44 to the other and you FINALLY have one company handling your fleet.

It HAS to be Siemens.

Unless they go the EMU/DMU route, I can't imagine anyone else but Siemens. You can add the ACS to one end, the SC-44 to the other and you FINALLY have one company handling your fleet.

It HAS to be Siemens.
Would not want one OEM supplier unless I got one heck of a deal.

Anderson for all his faults was one shrewd and cagey customer at NWA and Delta.  He wasn't the first to order the latest Airbus or Boeing plane but he got the best deal on them when it came time to order.

If Siemens does get the order, I hope they are able to get the designs for the California Cars and builds more of them. Having one supplier would simplify things, but if there is one thing certain besides death and taxes, its Congress don't like simple!...unless its them...

While I'd personally prefer Siemens to get the order, I can see a reasonable case for Alstom as well, since they're building the new Acela 2/Avelia Liberty trainsets for the NEC. Having cars that share components with the new Acela would be advantageous.

I'd be curious to see if CAF or Nippon Shayro will be bidding on this as well.

peter

CAF would probably be a good pick for Superliner 3 assuming long distance service actually survives Anderson calling Congress's BS on Amtrak. 

I always wondered if express or limited stop service would work on other corridors outside the NEC. Specifically out of Chicago, LA-San Diego or Oakland-Sacramento and the like. But more corridor service means less LD and somehow advocating for both is heresy. 

Given how much of a dumpster fire the Viewliner IIs have been, I don't think CAF is going to want ANYTHING to do with any future Amtrak order. :unsure:

Everyone will be competing, too big of a order not to.  Of course Siemens is the to beat.

It HAS to be Siemens.
I asked this in another thread but it sort of got buried: how does an electric locomotive like an ACS-64 control a moving train without overhead power? Like how are the gauges and electronics able to work? And do the wheels roll (I imagine there's a fair bit of resistance from the motor)?

I asked this in another thread but it sort of got buried: how does an electric locomotive like an ACS-64 control a moving train without overhead power? Like how are the gauges and electronics able to work? And do the wheels roll (I imagine there's a fair bit of resistance from the motor)?
AFAIK gets power from the HEP line. That is all that is needed to run the control stand and related stuff like various PTC gears, and also keeps the necessary batteries charged. This has been done many times and was used regularly on the ACES Express between New York Penn and Atlantic City, and is also shown as a possible configuration in the Equipment Plan slide set. So there is no deep innovation involved there.

Last edited by a moderator:
AFAIK gets power from the HEP line. That is all that is needed to run the control stand and related stuff like various PTC gear, sand also keeps the necessary batteries charged. This has been done many times and was used regularly on the ACES Express between New York Penn and Atlantic City, and is also shown as a possible configuration in the Equipment Plan slide set. So there no deep innovation involved there.
Thank you! And how do the wheels keep rolling (and avoid flat spots) with the resistance from the traction motors?

Thank you! And how do the wheels keep rolling (and avoid flat spots) with the resistance from the traction motors?
What has wheel rolling got to do with anything. Motors with no power supplied will spin freely. That is why engines can be towed dead. So why would this be any different? Are you suggesting that locomotives cannot be towed dead without them getting flat spots? Clearly that is not true.

MODERATOR NOTE: This discussion started 4/22/19 was merged into the current discussion on the same topic.

https://www.railwayage.com/news/after-40-plus-years-amfleet-i-replacements-sought/ I saw a few articles about replacements for Amfleet 1s on the NEC, what do you guys think they'll be? Something similar to CALIDOT? Plus, do you think the Downeaster will use them, seeing as they are a frequent intercity route? Interested to see what the replacement may be. For those of you who don't know CALIDOT:download-4.jpg download-5.jpg

Attachments

• download-4.jpg
    download-4.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 25
Last edited by a moderator:
If they make cab cars, for visual appeal they'd probably make them similar to the front end of the ACS 64s, just as they did with the CALIDOTS. The cab cars are visually identical to the front of an SC 44. Case in point:
:cco_caltrans_train_ext_oakland_medium.jpg

It is also the least expensive way to get a cab car. Get a standard cab module that you already have and bolt it onto a car frame at one end, instead of crafting a totally new cab. Incidentally you also get the cab end to look the same as an existing locomotive for which the cab module was originally designed.

Their Pullman, American Car & Foundry, and St Louis Car Company cats are in incredible shape. They ride good, and have quite a few good years left in them.

Back