FlixBus In the Southern U.S

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seating looks a bit tight, especially on knee room. Is it on par with Amtrak coach?

Did the seats in the earlier photos have leather trim, and the latest ones not, or was it just camera angle? Did it make a difference in comfort?

And was that a trash bag hanging from the seat back? I wouldn't want to be in the seat behind it!

Have you been on MegaBus or RedCoach? How do they compare?

So far, GL has not changed service to directly respond to Flix. but over the past several years they have been working to rid themselves of intermediate stops and large terminals, while upgrading their website sales and putting new buses into service. This is an indirect response to the "curbside" carriers. However, having stations that can handle walk-ins puts them first in line when authorities or charities want to move people. For example:

GREYHOUND ADDS SERVICE TO HANDLE MIGRANT RUSH

Greyhound Lines service changes in recent years have mainly been reductions,
but now the flood of migrants being dropped off at Greyhound stations has
resulted in a build-up of the already well-served transcontinental corridor
through El Paso, Texas. Following a pattern previously seen during energy
and other crises, the biggest demand increase has occurred on the heaviest
traveled routes. Amtrak's sporadic service through El Paso and border towns
is showing random effects, while the new Flixbus service in the Southwest is
not showing a spillover.

Since March 6th, the veteran bus operator has added:

* Dallas - El Paso - Los Angeles round trip
* Dallas - Atlanta round-trip
* Dallas - Nashville round-trip
* Dallas - El Paso - Phoenix two round-trips
* Dallas - El Paso round-trip

Atlanta, Dallas, Los Angeles and Nashville are hubs in the Greyhound Lines
network offering numerous onward connections.

Seating looks a bit tight, especially on knee room. Is it on par with Amtrak coach?

Did the seats in the earlier photos have leather trim, and the latest ones not, or was it just camera angle? Did it make a difference in comfort?

And was that a trash bag hanging from the seat back? I wouldn't want to be in the seat behind it!

Have you been on MegaBus or RedCoach? How do they compare?

Legroom was pretty comparable to Greyhound. Less than Amtrak, though.

Yes, actually all the buses I’ve been on had different seats. All of the seats themselves were very comfortable with a good seat cushion. Biloxi - San Antonio was 10h20m and I was not uncomfortable at any point in the trip.

The drivers put those new trash bags out so people can dispose of anything they have with them. The buses were very new and clean so I guess this a way of trying to keep them that way.

I’ve been on Megabus a few times. I think FlixBus is a more comfortable ride. Also the drivers I think are more professional on FlixBus. I’d say they are kind of similar, but I prefer FlixBus.

Curious to see where they’ll expand next.

Take NOL-HOS. Amtrak does it 3X weekly, and it takes 9 hours if on time, for $45 one way. You now have FlixBus, up to 3X daily starting in June, with 5h30m trip times and prices starting at $5.

I think we’ll see further eroding Amtrak market share between these cties.

The same can probably be said of San Antonio-Dallas. 8 hours, $29 on Amtrak. FlixBus is 5 hours for $5.

The train will be a tough sell for most in markets like this unless you just can’t stand bus travel.

If we see more regional adds by FlixBus in areas that only see long-distance Amtrak service, I think that will be a problem for Amtrak.

So, a few things:
(1) FlixBus doesn't have any on-board catering (something that's an issue on longer trips).
(2) What's the seat pitch?
(3) Does FlixBus stop anywhere en route (pax stops, not possible food stops)?

The tipping thing is interesting, but the drivers didn’t announce it. Maybe it’s more common in Europe?

In my experience there is no place on earth that is more in love with arbitrary tipping culture than the USA.

2) What's the seat pitch?

Yeah, "comparable to Greyhound" doesn't really mean that much to those of us who never rode Greyhound in the first place.

Thanks, NativeSon for those nice photo's...did you ride? How about a brief trip report?
I am curious about the seats that can be "adjusted toward the aisle"...how does that work, I've never heard of anything like that...wouldn't that restrict movement in the aisle?

Also of interest...the note promoting tipping the driver. I have never heard of such a suggestion by a bus line before.

That part about tipping the driver strikes me as super weird, what the heck? I've never once seen or heard of any bus drivers tipped, myself. And this is coming from someone who understands why you tip wait staff at restaurants, as they're paid less than the minimum wage.

Thanks for your writeup on Flixbus, though. Sounds like they're operating in a way, that's similar to Megabus(low cost, and few intermediate stops to pick up passengers on the way if any, i.e. Baton Rouge).

"The aspects where Mexico differs aren't really tips so much as bribes and kickbacks." Cab drivers, service personnel. Come on!
Cab drivers what? Service personnel who? No tiendo innuendo. When I visit Mexico I tip the same as in the US and never ran into any problems. If they were unhappy or expected more they never let on about it.

Last edited:
Back