First Class Lounge at Gateway Station - St. Louis?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Forgive me if this has been asked before. Is there really a First Class Lounge at the Gateway Station in St. Louis? For the many, many times that I have had a layover in St. Louis I have never known for there to be such a room as this, although I have not been in and out of Gateway for about a year.

As I will be traveling (Coach) thru Chicago, Washington DC, and Philadelphia this summer, I decided to redeem some AGR Points for 5 Single-Visit Station Lounge Passes for my layovers. On the back of those passes, St. Louis is named as having a First Class Lounge. I want to know if using one of my passes will be worth it in St. Louis for another trip I am taking.

I simply cannot place where this lounge is located in the station...if there really is one at Gateway. Where is this room in relation to the Ticket Window? Are there snacks and beverages? Is it staffed? Will I be able to "check bags" and sight-see a little? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Forgive me if this has been asked before. Is there really a First Class Lounge at the Gateway Station in St. Louis? For the many, many times that I have had a layover in St. Louis I have never known for there to be such a room as this, although I have not been in and out of Gateway for about a year.

As I will be traveling (Coach) thru Chicago, Washington DC, and Philadelphia this summer, I decided to redeem some AGR Points for 5 Single-Visit Station Lounge Passes for my layovers. On the back of those passes, St. Louis is named as having a First Class Lounge. I want to know if using one of my passes will be worth it in St. Louis for another trip I am taking.

I simply cannot place where this lounge is located in the station...if there really is one at Gateway. Where is this room in relation to the Ticket Window? Are there snacks and beverages? Is it staffed? Will I be able to "check bags" and sight-see a little? Any information would be greatly appreciated.
I recall using it several times, so it is there. I don't exactly remember where it is in the station but vaguley recall that it is adjacent to the corridor leading to the trains, though don't quote me on it. The ticket window folks will be able to guide you there, like they did for me. It is unstaffed and has no snacks etc. As a matter of fact it is so unstaffed that sometimes they forget to inform you of the boarding, so you have to be on the alert.

It's basically just a private waiting area, similar to the Magnolia Room in New Orleans although not as large nor as nicely furnished. I do believe it has a private restroom, though, and I also think I remember a coffee pot and water dispenser. Could be getting this mixed up, though; I've only used the room once (May 2017).

Its too bad Amtrak never tried to return to the magnificent restored St Louis Union Station there. That place is now a hotel but the grand hall is perfectly restored to its original appearance and has a 60' ceiling. Tracks still run to it but the only train there now is a short tourist line.
Union-Station-Exterior_1280x800-1280x640.jpg

bg_home-20160921.jpg

Too expensive because of the wye movement necessary. It had been part of the original station renovation plans, but I believe the Terminal RR Association wanted their crews to do the wye, and were charging accordingly. That's why those tracks are there.

Oh, the Eagle was on time, and there were maybe 20 people waiting for buses and the train, so I didn't bother. The conductor did open the lounge door to check before opening boarding, and checked tickets before boarding.

Back