Fatal collision in Chesapeake, VA

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey everyone,

Just wanted to share that a fatal car/train collision occurred in Chesapeake, VA, not far from where I live. Here is the news story:

https://www.wavy.com/news/local-new...rash-involving-train-in-chesapeake/1889305316

There are no gate arms at this crossing currently, and there is a petition going around to have them installed there:

https://www.change.org/p/chesapeake...nstalled-56e4fa07-8d75-4826-b8f7-81c3b6827280

People should always watch out for trains at crossings, whether there are gates or not. For all I know though, the driver could have been looking out. It's hard to say, but it's a tragic situation all around.

Its always tragic when someone is killed at a grade crossing but on freight lines the trains do not travel at high speed so there is usually ample warning that a train is approaching. The old warning to stop , look and listen is still applicable today. Do we blame the railroad that has the right of way or the carefree motorist?

The current crossing warning signs aren't enough: they should at least face the road and there should be painted markings on the pavement.

Condolences to the family and to the crew, but this is in no way the railroad's fault. It rarely is. A look into incident history at this crossing is needed before knowing whether additional protection devices like lights and/or gates are needed, as those are unfortunately prohibitively expensive. The train already sounds its horn four times before entering the crossing.

The three E's of Operation Lifesaver are Education, Engineering, and Enforcement. IMO education and enforcement are the most effective methods, not to mention near-zero cost.

In this case it's hard for me to blame the driver. The pavement markings are all but completely faded away or washed out (potholes, etc). There are no arms or even lights, and the "RR" sign is partially obscured by a tree. Add to that the time of day and the fact that outbound trains on that track are traveling probably close to top speed, and that crossing was a disaster waiting to happen. And of course, CSX and VDOT are pointing the blame at each other which is a big red flag that somebody at both organizations knew that crossing needed at the very least to be repaired but it got lost in bureaucracy and/or the bean counters kept pushing it aside.

I live along this track and for every busy crossing (Victory Blvd, High Street, etc) that has lights and crossing arms, there are a half-dozen crossings that have nothing but faded signs and are mostly obscured by trees so even if you stop, you can't see more than a few feet down the tracks. Whether CSX, VDOT, or the cities of Portsmouth and Chesapeake are responsible for them, they all need to be addressed.

Back