Amtrak forum is an arm of Amtrak propaganda machine?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've noticed that any post that is critical of Antrak's poor performance and shameful customer service has been viciously attacked, deleted, or otherwise censored. Has Amtrak subscribed to the same culture that's governing North Korea today? It looks like amtraktrains.com does not believe in freedom of speech.

amtraktrains. com has no specific relationship to Amtrak except for the subject matter. So Amtrak has no control over what is or is not done at this website.

In my experience it is spurious trolls and political posturing on both sides that are looked down upon. People who have considered relevant material to present and discuss in a civilized way are usually encouraged. There are plenty of issues about what is wrong with Amtrak that have been and are being discussed here. What is discouraged is random undocumented rants, ad hominem attacks and name calling, involving other members or public personalities, including but not limited to the Amtrak (or for that matter, any other) boss.

So first question ... are you a troll or do you have something about Amtrak to discuss? ;) If the latter, what specific Amtrak related issue would you like to bring up for discussion? Please provide documented support for any claims made, pro or anti Amtrak.

Last edited:
I wasn't aware that Amtrak had a propaganda machine...guess I should've been paying more attention.

I agree with jis. Amtrak has plenty of problems (and we definitely discuss those issues and it can get heated at times, just look at any recent thread about the 5-year plans) but if you're gonna come in here and grandstand or act like a fool, you won't get anywhere. If you want a civilized debate like we encourage, then let's have that debate.

ThatOne, I hear you.

This Forum is largely comprised of Members who enjoy riding trains, especially those operating long distances and having sleeping and dining cars, for the relaxing experience they can potentially offer.

Although in retirement, I could well afford to travel on such (I did use Auto-Train regularly, until my "obscene price button" got pushed), I'm not aficionado enough to do so. Many of my postings do not reflect the mainstream thoughts of the membership, and as a result, I am the recipient of criticism such as what follows:

It appears you have some sort of agenda that drives you to keep posting this sort of thing, but instead of accepting and admitting your bias you keep implying that your own views are in some way distinct from the partisan and prejudiced articles you keep posting here. Have you ever posted even one single article that advocates for additional funding to provide more/better passenger rail? What is your motivation and what do you hope to achieve from repeatedly posting anti-rail diatribes on a pro-rail forum?

Last edited:
I am not the biggest fans of mods, but here they seem ok. But when it comes to being a mod, most are lazy and on a power trip, which means deleting a whole thread is easier than deleting offending material. Happens on Reddit, Facebook and other forums regularly. Or double fun, if its an algorithm doing it, those usually don't speak English, if Google's censor algorithms are anything to go by.

I’ve made numerous reports on here about poor service. There’s a post about the Texas eagle transition sleeper where I discussed one of my more over the top responses to poor service. I was not censored.

I was censored for arguing with people and making comments I should not have. A few of those times I knew my obnoxious post might be censored but I wrote it anyway.

We do tend to understand more what creates common service issues such as in time performance or poor service caused by understaffing which leads to poor employee morale. Thus we will explain in a manner that might sound like cheerleading or propaganda to some.

We seem to have a few members on here that get their rocks off to posting smug, hostile retorts and being The Correct One™ whenever they possibly can, and never get called out on it due to their high post count or otherwise “senior” status. You will find out who these are yourself in time by posting here. To be fair, though, I have yet to see a forum that does not have this issue - and I would say that amtraktrains.com is a bit less affected than many others. All around this is a good forum to learn more about Amtrak and to participate in thoughtful discussions.

Many of my postings do not reflect the mainstream thoughts of the membership, and as a result, I am the recipient of criticism such as what follows:

You incorrectly diagnose why you are criticized.

Thoughts outside of the mainstream are fine.

Passing off editorial opinion as fact earned you that criticism.

Feigning surprise when called on it, despite you yourself acknowledging that it was editorial in nature in your very first post on the topic earned you the ridicule you now complain about, demonstrating that you learned nothing from the exchange.

I'm wondering if the forum software can be spoofed to show an incorrect sign up date. In the past, it's been possible on some platforms.

We're seeing some interesting coincidences. Two very similar articles, one right after the other, by (apparently) young-ish writers describe how decrepit and dated Amtrak looks through their eyes, plus posts here and on Train Orders that are consistent with professional trolling. All coming out at the same time as the white house and Amtrak release budget proposals with language that runs along similar lines.

Just because I'm paranoid doesn't me everyone isn't out to get me :).

I disagree with the current race to the bottom that Amtrak is seaming to be running down. And the separation between the NEC and the National Network. Everyone here has their own opinion and that’s what’s beautiful about this forum. We can all discuss something we’re passionate about civilly and that’s great. If only all discussions in the country were like that.

And I’ve always thought our mods have done a good job at keeping things under control.

I'm wondering if the forum software can be spoofed to show an incorrect sign up date. In the past, it's been possible on some platforms.

We're seeing some interesting coincidences. Two very similar articles, one right after the other, by (apparently) young-ish writers describe how decrepit and dated Amtrak looks through their eyes, plus posts here and on Train Orders that are consistent with professional trolling. All coming out at the same time as the white house and Amtrak release budget proposals with language that runs along similar lines.

Just because I'm paranoid doesn't me everyone isn't out to get me :).

An interesting observation. It probably isn’t the government because Amtrak is a significant part of the budget compared to the military and some other things.

But it could be an individual or individuals with too much time on their hands.

I've noticed that any post that is critical of Antrak's poor performance and shameful customer service has been viciously attacked, deleted, or otherwise censored. Has Amtrak subscribed to the same culture that's governing North Korea today? It looks like amtraktrains.com does not believe in freedom of speech.

I wouldn’t say that at all. Typically the most controversial issue related to Amtrak, as I’m sure you know, is the national network and Amtrak’s federal funding. I’d say there is a pretty good distribution of different views here between those that support such funding and keeping the long distance trains going and those that either oppose it entirely or would like to see changes in how it is spent (a shift to corridor service, etc.) Don’t think people are generally silenced unless they are belligerent. Not all rail fans are fans of Amtrak and passenger rail in general. There are some people that think trains are cool and are fans of using it for freight but feel passenger rail is less or not at all necessary in 2019 (or that should only be used in certain types of corridors) and that the federal funding is inappropriate (or that the way it is spent is inappropriate.) There are plenty of people including on this board (at least from my observation) that like trains as a whole but vastly prefer airlines (and other forms of travel) than rail (or at least Amtrak) for passenger use. Everyone has a voice from what I’ve seen and it’s always better to have diverse opinions. After all if everyone agreed exactly the same what’s the point in having a forum or discussion?

I have made thousands of posts that are critical of Amtrak, especially their long distance coach service, for nearly a decade now. I'm personally pro-rail but I am not pro-Amtrak. Some of my posts have been hidden or removed over the years, but the vast majority (99.99%) remain right where they were when I first made them. Comparing Amtrak Unlimited to North Korea implies a surprising amount of confusion and/or indifference to the facts.

Always suspicious myself of folk who join AU and their very first post is anti Amtrak! :D
I LOVE Amtrak, even though a Conductor tried to uncouple me in 15 Below Zero in Ogden Utah in January 1978 and leave me on a rail siding alone in an unheated coach

If this site was North Korea, wouldn't your post have been deleted and your family told to forget all about you as you vanish in the night?

If this site was North Korea, wouldn't your post have been deleted and your family told to forget all about you as you vanish in the night?
Maybe the reason those poster spaces in the dining cars have been going empty is to accommodate murals of our Dear Leader Anderson.

/s

You must have thought I was kidding?

No. That was the point of the "joke". It is a moment of levity, poking fun in an irritating manner after a serious event.
Mrs. Lincoln had just seen her husband, President Lincoln, murdered at Ford's Theater and the reporter asks her, "Other than that, how was the play?"
You almost got dumped onto a siding in the deep freeze section of the West with no heater...
Anytime you have to explain your joke, you have failed as a jokester. ;-)
Mea Culpa.

Back