California Zephyr detour from Omaha to Chicago?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone know why the tracking of 5 and 6 does not show up the CHI - OMA points except for those on the MKE route and a few northeast of OMA? If that showed persons who wanted to see the train along the route could get a good idea. It used to be that detours showed up.
This would have to confirmed by the experts but the UP CHI-OMA ex-C&NW Main has ATC (Automatic Train Control), a 1920's form of PTC that has both a train stop and a cab signal system. I am not sure how PTC has changed or replaced it on this line. This system has always required special equipment on the Engines being operated from, lead but not trailing units. to the reads in Chicago then near Omaha, perhaps the UP Power is added at the Western Ave., when it jumps from the CP/ Metra to the UP and then the ATC ends/ begins at Fremont Jtc. at those points the UP power can be dropped? I agree in my observation on any other Amtrak detour we would still get the GPS reads, so the UP Unit in lead is my theory.

Help with info please.

Our elderly friend Milton was due to board the 6 California Zephyr this past Monday 25 March heading for Chicago. Does anyone know if the train went and if so did it stop at Denver or continue? Where is it now if it continued?

Thanks for any help but he doesn't use a cell phone and doesn't carry a laptop so he's completely out of contact.

Help with info please.

Our elderly friend Milton was due to board the 6 California Zephyr this past Monday 25 March heading for Chicago. Does anyone know if the train went and if so did it stop at Denver or continue? Where is it now if it continued?

Thanks for any help but he doesn't use a cell phone and doesn't carry a laptop so he's completely out of contact.
Jamie:
Amtrak is showing the Status of #6 (25) as Unavailable???.It did run,latest info I found showed it arriving into Salt Lake @243am today!

The #6 (24) from Sunday is currently shown as 6+ Hours Late in Lincoln,Nebraska heading for Omaha.

Not sure if the Flood Detours between Omaha and Chicago on UP are still ongoing??

Sorry I cant help, best to you and Rosie! Jim

Train 5 went by the Rochelle web cam at 5:03pm EDT today. So it is still running to and from Chicago. If you look at Amtrak Tracker it shows #6 at Omaha with a destination of Chicago. No intermediate location or times are given by Amtrak for some reason for either train.

Per the app on my phone, this week’s #6 is only going as far as Denver.
Per Amtrak app on my phone, train 6 today arrived in Omaha 3:31pm and departed for Chicago at 3:57pm. That's East of Denver and 10 and 1/2 hours or so late. Not a fun trip regardless of endpoint.

Per Amtrak app on my phone, train 6 today arrived in Omaha 3:31pm and departed for Chicago at 3:57pm. That's East of Denver and 10 and 1/2 hours or so late. Not a fun trip regardless of endpoint.
Sorry, I should have said the 6's that originate in EMY starting today for the rest of the week.

This would have to confirmed by the experts but the UP CHI-OMA ex-C&NW Main has ATC (Automatic Train Control), a 1920's form of PTC that has both a train stop and a cab signal system. I am not sure how PTC has changed or replaced it on this line. This system has always required special equipment on the Engines being operated from, lead but not trailing units. to the reads in Chicago then near Omaha, perhaps the UP Power is added at the Western Ave., when it jumps from the CP/ Metra to the UP and then the ATC ends/ begins at Fremont Jtc. at those points the UP power can be dropped? I agree in my observation on any other Amtrak detour we would still get the GPS reads, so the UP Unit in lead is my theory.
I finally found a Picture of #5 going through Rochelle on the 25th and it does have UP Power on the front.

So is the train stopping for passengers some place on the new route in Iowa or do they now need to board in Illinois? And how is the SW Chief through Iowa? It runs a little further south.

So is the train stopping for passengers some place on the new route in Iowa or do they now need to board in Illinois? And how is the SW Chief through Iowa? It runs a little further south.
The Chief's only Iowa stop is in Fort Madison, which is on the fringe southeast tip of the state, barely passing through. Only issue is the MS River downflow.

Service Adjustments continue following Midwest flooding
March 31, 2019 12:00 PM
California Zephyr to operate on a modified schedule; Missouri River Runner service restored

Amtrak train service was expected to resume to Chicago on two Midwestern routes affected by historic flooding, however, extenuating circumstances due to flood damage have altered that plan for the California Zephyr. The following adjustments are currently scheduled:

California Zephyr, Trains 5 & 6

Train 6, which originated on Saturday, will terminate at Denver with no alternate transportation. Customers can continue to Denver or detrain at Glenwood Springs, Colo. or Grand Junction, Colo. Customers may also choose to return on train 5 back to Emeryville or their origination point.

Train 6 of March 31 and April 1 will terminate in Denver with no alternate transportation. Train 5 of March 31 through April 3 will originate in Denver with no alternate transportation.

Missouri River Runner, Trains 311, 313, 314 & 316

Effective on April 1 with the eastbound originations of Trains 314 & 316 from Kansas City and the westbound originations of Trains 311 & 313 from St. Louis, Amtrak train service is restored across Missouri.

Anyone planning to travel should check their train status on Amtrak.com or our smartphone apps prior to departing, allow extra time to get to the station and be extremely careful in stations and on platforms.

Customers with reservations on trains that are being modified will typically be accommodated on trains with similar departure times or another day. Amtrak will gladly waive additional charges for customers looking to change their reservation during the modified schedule by calling our reservation center at 800-USA-RAIL.

Anyone can subscribe to automated email or text message notifications if Amtrak trains are behind schedule at specific stations. Notifications can be given for up to six trains and stations by either text or email and delivered when you choose - on a single day, every day, or just certain days of the week. Create a subscription at Amtrak.com/DelayAlerts.

Customers with travel plans can review refund information on Amtrak.com. Service Alerts, Passenger Notices and other announcements are posted at Amtrak.com/Alerts.

Amtrak regrets any inconvenience. This information is correct as of the above time and date. Information is subject to change as conditions warrant.

Back