“What Would You Add?” Infrastructure Edition

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey, they aren't off schedule, well, but about six weeks. But at the risk of getting this further off the rails than it already is... Chicago has always elected our mayors in the spring - since the 1850's. The State is the one who forced the "primary" to be in February. We're having massive run offs on April 2nd since no one candidate got 50%+ of the vote (17% was the highest out of 14 candidates) and I think about a third of the wards have run offs for Aldermanic races as well.

Another thing I thought of, and it kinda ties into my above post:

If a Northeast Regional ever were to run between NFK and RNK, set the schedule so that it stops at LYH to connect with the Crescent.   That would be a second way for people in the Tidewater area to take the Crescent without having to go all the way to WAS.    

Now that I mention it, I remembered that a NER train runs between LYH and RNK.   So, I suppose a Regional could run between NFK and LYH, and could serve a dual purpose; to allow a connection to the Crescent or for passengers to continue on a NER to RNK.   

Oh, in the department of infrastructure: I'd add a curve and a revised platform at Charlottesville so that the Cardinal could take the same route as the Crescent north of there -- the Crescent route is substantially faster.

Added tracks/platforms at CUS.
cus_tracks_platfoms.png

If expanded service out of Chicago is going to be a thing, then Amtrak has to increase available capacity to support it. Potentially, you could put all the LD trains onto the through tracks and use the extra space on the stubs for increased corridor service. I created an Excel table that organizes both LD and Corridor by arrival and departure times...I think it could work. Unfortunately I can't find a way to upload it to the site.

If you are going to rebuild Union Station on that scale, make it a through station on all tracks which benefits Amtrak and Metra (Metra more of course).

The current plan is to convert the former mail platforms to HIGH LEVEL passenger platforms (since they are already high-level platforms) and run *single-level* trains to those platforms. So it would start with the Lake Shore Limited and whichever corridor trains are using single-level equipment. It also solves a bunch of ADA problems.

Metra's mostly running low-boarding-only bilevels (except on Metra Electric) so it would stay on the existing tracks, unless it got bilevels with traps.

There are two low-level platforms on the through tracks (though one requires crossing a track at grade) so Metra could still run some through trains.

The picture you posted is from Midwest HSR Association, which has a really excellent plan to convert the "St. Charles Air Line" to allow trains to run through from Metra Electric into the through tracks at Union Station, and onward onto the Milwaukee District West lines. Unfortunately it hasn't got much traction. It requires a flying curve off the "air line" down into Union Station, which is the single biggest piece of construction, plus a flyover of the Rock Island Line.

Last edited:
Okay, so we all have a route or two that we want Amtrak to bring back, whether it be the Desert Wind or the old 20th Century Limited. But the reality is that with our nation’s railroads operating as private entities, Amtrak’s ability to expand current services, let alone start new ones, is incredibly limited and subject to many hoops.

The goal is this thread is to provide a place to compile the various ideas for infrastructure improvements across the Amtrak network, including stations, MoW, etc. I’ll stay in my Midwest stomping grounds to start:

The section of the NS Chicago Line between Porter and Chicago is one of the biggest causes of delays for Amtrak Michigan Service trains traveling to and from Chicago. More often than not, trains are halted by a lift bridge in northwest Indiana for boat traffic. Project #1 would be to rebuild that portion of the line in a manner where it would be possible to run trains without the interference from barges. It would likely require a grade, but it would certainly be more efficient for both NS and Amtrak. Project #2 would be to allow Amtrak to rebuild the two main lines between NW Indiana and Chicago that would be exclusively used for passenger service. This would help to eliminate NS-caused delays on one of the most congested sections of track in the Midwest.

Post yours below!
I agree - the Desert Wind and the Pioneer both out of Salty would be a nice add to connect the west again.

The last time in CUS watched a carman try to work on a Superliner top, Was difficult as there appeared to be only 6 " clearance. So how is METRA electric going to string CAT there?

The last time in CUS watched a carman try to work on a Superliner top, Was difficult as there appeared to be only 6 " clearance. So how is METRA electric going to string CAT there?

Clearance varies according to track. The through tracks are on the far east edge next to the river, and it's possible to get the clearance there. (You might have to use solid overhead contact bars like the Swiss use in some tunnels rather than hanging catenary wire, but that's fine.)

It's SUPER cramped on the west side.

1. I would absolutely move all Detroit Amtrak trains to Michigan Central Station back as an active Amtrak station as soon as it is rehabbed by Ford.

2. I would completely gut & rework the entire train / bus passenger area at Indianapolis Union Station. Great city, gorgeous old main building, abomination of a passenger waiting area.

3. I would start a campaign with small municipalities to replace every Amshack currently in service with a small but functional train station manned by caretakers. Best example I’ve seen is Waterloo IN, although theirs was a “move & preserve” station effort, not building new.

Last edited:
Another thing I would add in California is a rail connection to Oakland and San Francisco Airports. Although we wouldn't have train services that could cover those runs though.

A more likely one is reopening the NCRA as far north Willits. And think about a rail bridge between San Rafael and Richmond.

But both of these require us to have more train services. For both Amtrak and maybe a region wide Cal Train.

Back