26 Years Of Billy Parker's Second Chance At Life

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CSXfoamer1997

OBS Chief
26 years ago today, Billy Parker, a now retired Amtrak engineer, was running the Silver Star from Jacksonville, FL to Miami. The train, running over 3 hours late, consisted of one locomotive (EMD F40PHR #385), a material-handling car, a baggage car, a diner, two sleepers, a cafe car, and five coaches. As he approached Cypress Creek Road just outside of Ft. Lauderdale, FL at 60 MPH, he saw two vehicles sitting on top of the tracks. He made a service brake application and blasted his horn. Both vehicles moved off the tracks, much to his relief. Shortly afterward, he saw one of his worst nightmares before his eyes. A gasoline tanker started easing over the tracks. Knowing the tanker was blocked in with nowhere to go, he made an emergency brake application and blasted his horn one last time. Not knowing whether it was full or empty, he ran into the engine room, knelt down on the floor, and said a quick little prayer. Shortly afterward, at 35 MPH, the train ripped through the back of the tanker, setting off a massive explosion followed by several subsequent explosions. The locomotive, the first three cars, and nine vehicles waiting for the train to pass were showered with 8,500 gallons of burning gasoline.

Amazingly, Billy Parker was unharmed, but the thick smoke inside the locomotive blinded him and he had to feel his way to the rear of the locomotive. When he opened the door, his hair was singed by the intense heat from the fire. He bravely helped the passengers off the train, but there was so much panic and pandemonium. People were screaming and running everywhere. Fortunately though, only 19 people on the train (8 crew members and 11 passengers) sustained minor injuries.

Six people were killed, including the tanker driver. The other five victims were motorists waiting for the train to pass. One of them was sitting straight up in their seat with hands still on the steering wheel.

Today, Billy Parker celebrates 26 years of a second chance at life. Very rarely to train crews survive collisions with gasoline tankers. After the accident, he worked with Operation Lifesaver for 10 years before he went back as an engineer in late 2003. He officially retired as an engineer after an accident on November 6, 2006.

In 2011, he talks about the accident at Cypress Creek Road here:

You didn’t post the second part of the video. No big deal, I found it on YouTube. His experiences are very sobering. I would wish for all motorists and pedestrians to be more cautious in regards to trains.

It's pretty scary that reckless drivers are allowed to drive *gasoline tankers* (or at least they were allowed to in 1993).

It's pretty scary that reckless drivers are allowed to drive *gasoline tankers* (or at least they were allowed to in 1993).

In part two, he mentioned something about another close call with a tanker. An inspector was on board with him. That was just before he retired for good.

In part two, he mentioned something about another close call with a tanker. An inspector was on board with him. That was just before he retired for good.
Yeah, he did. Hitting a gasoline tanker, or missing it by a few feet, talk about gut-wrenching!

You didn’t post the second part of the video. No big deal, I found it on YouTube. His experiences are very sobering. I would wish for all motorists and pedestrians to be more cautious in regards to trains.
Yes, indeed. If I were a conductor/engineer and had many near-misses and/or accidents, I'd want to share my stories of them with as many people as I possibly could. I'd want to educate people about the dangers of trying to go against a train and what can happen when you do.

What happened in that accident was the gate came down on top, and the tanker driver tried to move forward and back up to get it off, but ended up breaking it. And he continued forward, but there wasn't enough room. It was an accident.

What I was taught is that you don't enter a railroad crossing at all (i.e. the nose of your vehicle is well behind the gates) until you have enough space on the far side to put your entire vehicle on the far side of the tracks. And you don't enter if the lights are flashing, which starts happening before the gates come down.

If you follow these rules *strictly*, I don't see how the "accident" could happen. The gate might potentially start to come down on top of the tanker while the tanker was crossing the intersection, but the tanker would keep moving forward to the other side (and if it dropped right on the cab, the gates are designed to break off), and there would be time to get through.

I.e.: this is bad driving. Probably extremely common bad driving, unfortunately.

What I was taught is that you don't enter a railroad crossing at all (i.e. the nose of your vehicle is well behind the gates) until you have enough space on the far side to put your entire vehicle on the far side of the tracks. And you don't enter if the lights are flashing, which starts happening before the gates come down.

If you follow these rules *strictly*, I don't see how the "accident" could happen. The gate might potentially start to come down on top of the tanker while the tanker was crossing the intersection, but the tanker would keep moving forward to the other side (and if it dropped right on the cab, the gates are designed to break off), and there would be time to get through.

I.e.: this is bad driving. Probably extremely common bad driving, unfortunately.
And that leaves me scratching my head. Anyone for that matter. How could a 17-year truck driver have made such an elementary mistake?

Yeah, he did. Hitting a gasoline tanker, or missing it by a few feet, talk about gut-wrenching!

Missed it by a few feet. I watched the video while on the Coast Starlight. Not really a good idea. I’m not traumatized but after going through what I did on the Zephyr the day before (wind storm) it made me realize how disaster could’ve happened and can happen on the train. As seasoned passengers, we sometimes take it for granted just how much the crews go through and forget the danger they face getting us safety from point a to point b. After hearing his story, I don’t anymore.

These day he'd probably get sued and chastised by lawyers for not blowing loud enough, long enough, soon enough and/or not braking hard enough, soon enough, using too much brake, braking too soon, leaving the cab....etc.

These day he'd probably get sued and chastised by lawyers for not blowing loud enough, long enough, soon enough and/or not braking hard enough, soon enough, using too much brake, braking too soon, leaving the cab....etc.
You might be right. Lawyers are absolutely stupid these days. They come after you even if you did all you could.

Back