Viewliner II Part 3: Bag/Dorm Car Production, Delivery, Speculation

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
west point said:
Good point.  The German air force was overwhelmed by a high ratio of P-51s that over whelmed the Germans that had too many different state of the art airplanes.  Too few ME-262s 
A German Squadron of Jets surrendered at a German airbase occupied by the Army Air Corps on a Sunday when my father happened to draw “Officer of the Day” duty even though he was a doctor.

The Commanding brought in his jet and explained that the Russians had overrun their base and were looking for a place to surrender.

The Commander radioed his Squadron under the guard of a Sgt. who spoke German and one by one they landed and surrendered (a total of six). The Commander explained that they had not been able to effectively deploy the jets against the Russians as they had little fuel and the little they had was saved to make their escape to the US lines.

Attached is a picture of the wings and shoulder cord of the Commander.

[attachment=10943:IMG_6015.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_6015.JPG
    IMG_6015.JPG
    604 KB · Views: 2
A German Squadron of Jets surrendered at a German airbase occupied by the Army Air Corps on a Sunday when my father happened to draw “Officer of the Day” duty even though he was a doctor.

The Commanding brought in his jet and explained that the Russians had overrun their base and were looking for a place to surrender.

The Commander radioed his Squadron under the guard of a Sgt. who spoke German and one by one they landed and surrendered (a total of six). The Commander explained that they had not been able to effectively deploy the jets against the Russians as they had little fuel and the little they had was saved to make their escape to the US lines.

Attached is a picture of the wings and shoulder cord of the Commander.

[attachment=10943:IMG_6015.JPG

[/QUOTE]
The attachment didn't work. :wacko:

The attachment didn't work.
default_wacko.png
Here it is again:

IMG_6015.JPG

If guest posts were still allowed in any forum, this wouldn't be as much of a problem. Just saying, admins...
I don’t think you understand what westpoint was referring to. The problem he was addressing has nothing to do with guest posts. I’ll just stop there since we have been adequately spanked and chastised by another Amtrak employee poster for even discussing the issue at hand [emoji57]

Maybe he can get some one here who can relay his information and not by the internet !
If guest posts were still allowed in any forum, this wouldn't be as much of a problem. Just saying, admins...
This has been discussed multiple times, and the amount of spam and non-restrictable content that comes through when guests can post anywhere really means that it's not worth it.

cpotisch said:
This has been discussed multiple times, and the amount of spam and non-restrictable content that comes through when guests can post anywhere really means that it's not worth it.
You weren't even around during that time, so as usual you're going on what others have said instead of personal experience. Maybe the admins and mods were really on top of things, but I can think of relatively few times where I had seen any major issues. And I'll admit I used the guise of 2 different guest accounts to make certain posts.
Obviously there's drawbacks to allowing guest posts everywhere, but to brush it aside as mostly negative isn't correct.

You weren't even around during that time, so as usual you're going on what others have said instead of personal experience. Maybe the admins and mods were really on top of things, but I can think of relatively few times where I had seen any major issues. And I'll admit I used the guise of 2 different guest accounts to make certain posts.

Obviously there's drawbacks to allowing guest posts everywhere, but to brush it aside as mostly negative isn't correct.
I've read *a lot* of old threads discussing this, so while I wasn't here back then, I think I've gotten a pretty good sense of what it was like. But I could be wrong so I won't speak to this any more.

To get back on topic, the bag/dorms and sleepers are basically cash factories which spew piles of cash.  Do we have *any* leaks regarding when Amtrak is going to get them and put them into service?  Because it should have happened years ago.

It really seems like CAF and Amtrak have jumped ship on the order. We still have one diner left, nine bag-dorms (and the one that has been delivered has yet to enter service), and all 25 sleepers. What a shame.

Okay,  now that the first sleeper is on the way to Florida, it's been just over six months since the single baggage-dorm went "south for the winter... ". At least it has not been sent back north to New York for repairs.  Does anyone have information about this car other than it's getting a suntan?

I would suggest to be prepared for another dearth of car deliveries. The 70 Bags and 25 Diners are all on the property (that Amtrak can't figure out how to use 'em is not CAF's concern).

Amtrak now has their "tinker toys" - Bag-dorm and Sleeper - that you can be sure every department, save maybe accounting, will be doing their tinkering.

it is receiving modifications. 
Thank you very much  for your information.  I look forward to when we can officially hear about the modifications.   While it's  almost a 50/50 coin toss, I would think that since the baggage-sleeper has been looked over and worked on for a while, that the next cars leaving the CAF plant may be more baggage-sleeper cars.  Time (and possibly a highway sign) will tell...... :)

Last edited by a moderator:
What modifications could they possibly be making? The prototype sleeper and bag dorm were delivered FIVE years ago, and I would have thought Amtrak made any modifications then before they sent them back to CAF.

One thinks it quality control issues.

As before you make a final payment on a house you need to crawl around and make sure it done, and works correctly.  Joints, baseboards, electrical, and HVAC issues.  

Sure think Amtrak is going over the quality of the railcar with a magnifying glass, as GBNorman stated above.

What modifications could they possibly be making? The prototype sleeper and bag dorm were delivered FIVE years ago, and I would have thought Amtrak made any modifications then before they sent them back to CAF.
There are modifications that are only done in Hialeah, like installing the WiFi.

Back