PLEASE READ: How - to post, PM, mark read, and more.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AUAdmin

Admin
Staff member
Administator
To post a new thread

1. Find the forum you want to create the thread in.

2. Look at top of that forum on the right under the top ad for POST NEW THREAD

upload_2019-3-15_0-32-16.png

3. Fill in title and message

4. At the bottom of the message box you can now just use the Create Thread button. Or use the upload a file to add an image from your computer/phone/tablet, when uploaded best to choose Full Image, then use the Create Thread.

upload_2019-3-15_0-35-36.png

5. If you have an image somewhere else (like Facebook or a newspaper) you can do a right click copy and paste directly into the message, then Create Thread.

To get rid of the ads or the right sidebar.

Click on the little man icon on the top right:

upload_2019-3-15_0-36-55.png.

That will open up to the User Control Panel:
You are looking for Preferences

upload_2019-3-15_0-38-19.png

Click on Preferences and go to the very bottom of the page that opens up.
Opt out of ads and/or side bar and remember to save.

upload_2019-3-15_0-39-24.png

Private Messages are conversations:

Click on the envelope icon top right:

upload_2019-3-15_0-40-31.png

Once you click on that you will see:
A few old 'conversations' or the new ones will be in a darker font.

upload_2019-3-15_0-42-29.png

From there you can choose SHOW ALL or the START A NEW CONVERSATION.

This is what opens. Looks a whole lot like a forum post, so watch where you are posting.

upload_2019-3-15_0-44-24.png

You cannot delete a conversation, you LEAVE A CONVERSATOIN

upload_2019-3-15_0-45-37.png

You can mark one as unread or use STAR to make it stand out for later.

Also at the bottom of the index of conversations you can find this for search criteria.

upload_2019-3-15_0-46-55.png

upload_2019-3-15_0-49-3.png

This can allow you to change how to view the forum when looking for something. It cannot be done for the whole forum at once, but it can help you from one forum to another.

Marked a Forum as Read.

When in forum you wish to mark read, go to the top and find MARK FORUMS READ. Click on that and you will see.

upload_2019-3-15_10-50-20.png

From here you can mark the forum you are in as read, or the whole site. You will have to be in a forum, to be able to choose just that one.

This shows the posts that have happened since the last time you are here. It will not show your posts. Click on NEW POSTS you will see:

upload_2019-3-15_10-52-29.png

That Recent Posts will show the recent posts, including the ones you have made. And you can Mark all the forums read from the tab, or see new profile posts.

Watched Forums.

When you are in a forum, and want alerts when a new thread is started, use Watch Forum

upload_2019-3-15_10-55-43.png

You will have to do that for each forum you wish to watch.

Watched Threads:
If you want to Watch a Thread and get Alerts, when there is a reply go to the top left of the thread and find. Watch Thread.

upload_2019-3-15_11-6-56.png

You will get a box to set your preferences on how to get Alerts.
upload_2019-3-15_11-7-48.png

Once you have Watched Forum or Watched Treads set, you can find the ones you watch by clicking on Watched Threads or Watched Forums from the very top bar.

upload_2019-3-15_11-9-17.png

User Control Panel
Please take time to go through all the preferences and set them. Such things as allowing your birthday to be seen, or people allowed to post on your profile page or not. I have mine turned off as I never remember to check them, and everyone can see them. Check the alert preferences to set it to get emails or not for when you are alerted to a new post or thread or conversation.

Daily Emails - how to unsubscribe.

At the bottom of the email there is a Unsubscribe HERE. You can do that and it will unsubscribe you permanently.

Marked a Forum as Read.

When in forum you wish to mark read, go to the top and find MARK FORUMS READ. Click on that and you will see.

View attachment 12935

From here you can mark the forum you are in as read, or the whole site. You will have to be in a forum, to be able to choose just that one.
At the page listing every forum, most are in bold and a couple are not. I would expect that bold would indicate unread content, but that is not the case. Could the interface be adjusted so that a forum name appears in bold only if and only if it contains unread content?

Edited to add: the content indicator seems to be the bubble to the left of the forum title, rather than the bold or not bold. I'm still wondering why there are two forum titles are not in bold.

Daily Emails - how to unsubscribe.

At the bottom of the email there is a Unsubscribe HERE. You can do that and it will unsubscribe you permanently.

I don't expect to want to resubscribe, but if I did, how would I do that?

Last edited:
Those forums have subforums inside of them, I think that's why they're different.

Edit: It would probably make sense to break the "Where to do and what to see" out into a list of forums under that header. The three forums inside the "Miscellaneous" forum can probably just be promoted out of the subforum.

That would make the weirdness go away.

This is all very interesting but seems to be mainly directed at computer access and all I ever use is my iPhone or iPad so most of the complex stuff is not available but I don’t miss it.

Those forums have subforums inside of them, I think that's why they're different.

Amtrak Rail Discussion and Forum Members' Gathering have subforums, but the bubbles to the left of the forum names are not the same as the bubbles to the left of Where to Go and What to See and Miscellaneous Rail Forums, so it's not simply the existence of subforums.

There are two categories that are sub to that main category. Then the forums under that category are under that.
So the categories show differently than the forums. It was different on the old software too.

I've found that everything available on the computer is available on mobile devices.

Yes. It is recommended to use with a mobile browser as this software was designed to be 100% on a mobile browser since many people access forums by phone or tablet, rather than laptop. I prefer mobile browser over AU app.

Back