Suggestions for Amtrak traveling in Michigan?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Michigan doesn’t fit on one hand; you need two - one for each peninsula. [emoji851]
The upper hand looks like a sideways hand and is connected to Wisconsin. I’ve always called it the Upper Peninsula of Wisconsin as the culture is less like the lower peninsula and more like the dairy state, especially the more west you travel.

Since I moved to South Bend I've gotten to know and spent a lot more weekend time traveling in Pure Michigan than in the Hoosier State where I'm actually a resident. 

Lake Michigan has great beaches, and I've had a great time exploring them from state parks to in St. Joesph. 

There's also nothing like swimming right in downtown Chicago which would be a very doable thing to do even on just a summer same-day Amtrak layover.

I’ve always called it the Upper Peninsula of Wisconsin...
tenor.gif

NO. It's bad enough everyone tries to give the U.P. to Canada.  ^_^

I remember a Michigander telling me about going to "the beach" for the weekend.  I was confused until I realized that she was talking about the shore of a lake.  Yes it's a very big lake, but it's also kind of tiny compared to an ocean or gulf.
That confuses a lot of people, actually. They know the Great Lakes are huge, but the word "lake" still conveys something rather small. Then they visit and say, "Wow. They really are... huge."

We definitely don't have anything on the Gulf of Mexico or the Atlantic and Pacific, but it's still really cool to live near such a large body of water. I grew up on Lake Huron, went to college on Lake Superior, and now live about 45 minutes east of Lake Michigan. :)

It's hard to comprehend their huge-ness until you're either standing on the beach or you see them compared to something else. My favorite comparison is where Lake Superior takes over the East Coast:

LakeSuperior-vs-EastCoast.jpg

And then there's this:

h0pwvlzmmxi21.jpg

That confuses a lot of people, actually. They know the Great Lakes are huge, but the word "lake" still conveys something rather small. Then they visit and say, "Wow. They really are... huge."
We definitely don't have anything on the Gulf of Mexico or the Atlantic and Pacific, but it's still really cool to live near such a large body of water. I grew up on Lake Huron, went to college on Lake Superior, and now live about 45 minutes east of Lake Michigan. [emoji4]
It's hard to comprehend their huge-ness until you're either standing on the beach or you see them compared to something else. My favorite comparison is where Lake Superior takes over the East Coast:
LakeSuperior-vs-EastCoast.jpg

And then there's this:

h0pwvlzmmxi21.jpg
Exactly...when you are sitting on the beach at the great lakes it definitely feels like you are at the ocean... and this is coming from an east coast girl!

Wow, I'm definitely bookmarking this topic! Not sure when I'll be in Michigan, but definitely some time in my life, and this will be incredibly useful.
For you and anyone else bookmarking the thread:

If you can fit Lansing into your itinerary, definitely plan to visit the Capitol Building (free tour) and the Michigan History Museum. They're about a half-mile from each other, so it's an easy walk or Lyft/Uber if you have trouble walking.

The Capitol Building Tour has two options - guided, and self-guided. I normally prefer self-guided tours, but I really enjoyed the guided tour. The tour groups are quite small, so you can hear the guide clearly, and they were able to answer everyone's questions. I'm sure I learned more on the guided tour than I would have if I'd done the self-guided tour. The tour takes 45-60 minutes, and there are plenty of opportunities to sit if you have mobility issues. The tour covers 3-4 floors, but there is an elevator for those who cannot climb stairs.

The Michigan History Museum's website says to plan for 90 minutes, but it lies like a lying liar. Plan on 2-3 hours EASILY, especially if you're the type who likes to read every display and play with all of the hands-on exhibits. It's great for kids, too. There's a really good mix of hands-on/colorful/interesting stuff for them to look at. Plus, the building is pretty neat. You walk through a lumber mill while learning about forestry, the mining section is set up like a mine, the "Michigan During the 18-Diggities" section is set up in a  (long, extended) Queen Anne house, and the Auto History area looks like a showroom from the 1960s.

I'm living in Grand Rapids again after a 14 1/2 yr long hostage situation in NJ. Quite a different place than when I left in in '04. Specifically I live in Alger Heights which is in the old Southeast Side and was historically the old Dutch neighborhood. But the town itself has truly turned into a beer lovers dream. Breweries and restaurants abound. And, so I'm told, there's actually a burgeoning "beer tourism" industry where people come simply to tour the brewery scene.

Railwise, yeah, the PM arrives/departs at ridiculous hours and a 2nd train would be most welcome later in the day. I've tweeted to MDOT to open the rail corridor to Detroit for passenger service. And I'd love to see passenger service all the way to Mackinac City. It would do boffo biz at least 9 months in a year. Problem in MI is the state has a hodgepodge of shortline roads that the state would have to work with. But MI is at least invested in passenger rail service much like NC. 

Yes, make Grand Rapids a stop plus the Henry Ford. Take home a case of Founders anything.

I'm living in Grand Rapids again after a 14 1/2 yr long hostage situation in NJ. Quite a different place than when I left in in '04. Specifically I live in Alger Heights which is in the old Southeast Side and was historically the old Dutch neighborhood.
Alger Heights is a lovely area. Didn’t know about the Dutch history. I grew up just north of there, near MLK Park. I still have family in GR and visit at least once a year. Seems like there’s a new brewery or downtown project every time I go back. What differences have you noticed since ‘04?
Take home a case of Founders anything.
Seconded. Whatever style of beer you prefer, Founders makes a really good one.

Alger Heights is a lovely area. Didn’t know about the Dutch history. I grew up just north of there, near MLK Park. I still have family in GR and visit at least once a year. Seems like there’s a new brewery or downtown project every time I go back. What differences have you noticed since ‘04?

GR really feels like the economy moved away from production to leisure and healthcare. Obviously the beer industry has led the way. Small biz everywhere. And the population demographic has skewed young. Many, many millennials are living downtown in lofts converted from empty factories & warehouses. Plus, MSU relocated their College of Human Medicine from Lansing to along Michigan St next to Spectrum Hospital aka Butterworth Hospital. A related place is Devos Childrens Hospital which has attracted true world class research talent. Michigan St is now referred to as the Medical Mile. Not enough people to fill the open jobs. Many places advertising signing bonuses and/or immediate hiring. 12-15 bucks/hr even in fast food joints along 28th St. Yeah, it's no longer fear of layoffs like it was. 

I got the confirmation when I was on 371 and the conductor said it was affirmed that morning. It was very successful last year. I actually was on 371 when we met up with 372 just south of St. Joseph.....definitely a first for me, witnessing a meet on that stretch of track. I think there was a meet too of 370 and 373, the following week, as I was on 370, but I wasn’t paying attention. I won’t be on the train this year, however, at Tulip Time. I’m hoping to do a U.P./Wisconsin road trip at that time.

He also confirmed that the extra golf tournament train to St. Joseph was a complete failure, with four people getting off/on at the course. He also speculated that Whirlpool paid for that train, but didn’t know for sure. He figured it will never happen again, obviously.

Traveling to Michigan in May this year will not work for me. I am now thinking September (which can be iffy getting out of Florida due to hurricanes). Michiganders: how is September (after Labor Day) in Michigan (weather wise; crowd wise, etc.)?
Thanks.

Traveling to Michigan in May this year will not work for me. I am now thinking September (which can be iffy getting out of Florida due to hurricanes). Michiganders: how is September (after Labor Day) in Michigan (weather wise; crowd wise, etc.)?
Thanks.

For about six weeks after Labor Day you should be fine. You may end up catching the colors at their peak possibly in mid-October. Temperatures should be anywhere in the 40s-60s during that period of time. Crowds are pretty much non-existent as the tourist season is pretty much over. Lower Peninsula snow is very rare in that time frame as well. You might experience a bit of wind/rain as the transition of seasons is in effect.

The new Siemens cars will come be coming out in January 2020. After testing and such they would hopefully be in operation for summer travel. Newer equipment with larger windows would be ideal for first time visit to Michigan.

This certainly is good news. I'm assuming that they'll reinstate business class on the Pere Marquette, if indeed those cars are headed to that train.

The new Siemens cars will come be coming out in January 2020. After testing and such they would hopefully be in operation for summer travel. Newer equipment with larger windows would be ideal for first time visit to Michigan.

I believe that was in reference to CalTrans’ cars, not IDOT’s. There are only 14 cars right now. That’s likely to go to California first.

I believe that was in reference to CalTrans’ cars, not IDOT’s. There are only 14 cars right now. That’s likely to go to California first.

Another day, another story. Rumors and speculation. Maybe someday there will be solid, accurate information available.....in essence, whenever whatever comes to fruition.

September stays pretty warm until the end, usually around 75-80 degrees, depending on the day and where you are. We've even seen 90s for a couple days in September (and I was NOT HAPPY about it). ;) It will be cooler by the lakes and at night, which makes up for the hot days. As a Floridian, you'll feel right at home. You may want a sweatshirt or jacket at night, especially if you come near the end of the month. The temperature starts dropping into the 60s and 70s during the last week. You may also want a raincoat. September is the second-rainiest month after June.

The Lower Peninsula doesn't see much color change until the end of the month, but the Sugar Maples sometimes change around the second week. Peak color is in early to mid-October. It really just depends on how cold it gets and when.

You won't run into any crowds after Labor Day. The kids are back in school, and many of the beach towns wind down. If the weather is still hot, the beach towns will be a bit crowded on weekends, but it's nothing like the summer. September is actually my preferred month for traveling within Michigan, as you avoid the crowds but still have nice weather. Many of the seasonal restaurants and such stay open through the end of the month, too.

I believe that was in reference to CalTrans’ cars, not IDOT’s.
Another day, another story. Rumors and speculation. Maybe someday there will be solid, accurate information available.....in essence, whenever whatever comes to fruition.

Hardly speculation when the file text clearly states the following:

“Asked by Chairman Curtit when Caltrans anticipates the first car to be in revenue service, Momo responded that delivery is expected by January 2020 with a summer 2020 timeline for revenue service (6 months testing after delivery).”

This isn’t some random news article either; it’s the Next Generation Equipment Committee’s April minutes. These guys are the people who put this project in motion.

http://www.highspeed-rail.org/Documents/305 activities report - monthly 4-30-19.docx

Back