32 hour trip - Bay Area to Eugene?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BCL

Engineer
I was thinking of doing a multi-day trip to Portland on my points, but I'm about to start a new job and probably should make a quicker trip.  I've done a one day trip on the CS from EMY-SNS and thought of maybe an overnight on the CS to LAX, but then Eugene seems to be a good choice as long as there's no delay (I know).  I know Eugene is kind of cold this time of year, but I've got the proper clothes.  Looks like 14 arrives at 12:36 PM and 11 leaves at 5:10 PM giving about 4 hours to get something to eat and no need for an overnight stay.  Any suggestions?  I like McMenamins pubs, but not sure of the ones in Eugene.

Normally I'd book from Emeryville but I haven't used it in a while and I'm not sure about their parking situation.  That was my station of choice because of the free parking.  I'm thinking maybe Martinez?

If you end up with enough time, and the weather is decent, I'd recommend walking through downtown (south from the station), then east through the UofO campus.  If you have time, you could then walk north from there, across the Willamette River to Autzen Stadium, then west back over the river to return to the EUG station.  This would be about 4mi total.

McMenamins is always a safe choice, but their beer is usually just okay.  You might look into Falling Sky or ColdFire Breweries, which are along the path outlined above.

This plan is a bit of a gamble, as you allude to. According to Amtrak Status Maps, you would have missed that "connection" 14 times during calendar year 2018. That doesn't count days that the CS was canceled north of SAC. While that leaves a respectably high percentage of "made" connections, you also want to factor in how important it is to spend any meaningful time in EUG, because there are plenty of other times you would have made the connection but only had an hour or two to spend in Eugene, instead of the 4+ hours you'd get if 14 is on time.

Another thing that makes this challenging is that there is no easy way to bail on 14 if it runs into trouble, since it takes three full hours to get from Chemult (the previous stop) to Eugene. You could leave Chemult with a minor delay and still not make it to Eugene in time to make the same-day turn. And if you decide to bail in Chemult...well, hope you enjoy truck stop beer because that's about all there is there. And you'd miss the most scenic daytime portion of your route.

One option to consider would be to fly to PDX and catch the southbound train from there. You could also fly into EUG, but there are far fewer flights to choose from.

I'm on a bit of a budget now since I haven't started this new job, and I'm trying to avoid air travel or an overnight stay.  It's just something I wanted to do before I started.  I have enough points for it, but I'm trying to limit my outlay of cash to meals and beverages.

Can you schedule it so you have an extra day for on the end, "just in case"? If you can, that might work just fine.
I'm not trying to make the trip so I have to work the day after I get back.  I figure if there's a problem I could find a place to stay (Eugene has hostels?) cheap and modify my reservation for the next day.  I know that's a 20% point penalty, but I have no problem with it if there's no other choice.

I'm on a bit of a budget now since I haven't started this new job, and I'm trying to avoid air travel or an overnight stay.  It's just something I wanted to do before I started.  I have enough points for it, but I'm trying to limit my outlay of cash to meals and beverages.
If I were going be coach I would be tempted to try this.  The odds are strongly in your favor of making this connection although you might not have much quality time in Eugene.

That would be another story if I were in a roomette.  I am not sure how the penalties would work with the roomette fare or points if I missed the connection but I don't think they would be favorable.  

If I were going be coach I would be tempted to try this.  The odds are strongly in your favor of making this connection although you might not have much quality time in Eugene.

That would be another story if I were in a roomette.  I am not sure how the penalties would work with the roomette fare or points if I missed the connection but I don't think they would be favorable.  
I'm not really looking for quality time.  Last time I took the CS was out and back as a day trip to Salinas.  Just went to the Steinbeck Center, ate at some local restaurant, and watched a movie (the theater had a cheap matinee).  Then I ran out of things to do and just walked around the main drag until I found a fast food place.

Four hours is fine if I can walk, grab a bite to eat (maybe some beer too) and get right back to the station.  I really haven't been on a train in a while and I'm looking more for train time than destination time.

I'm not trying to make the trip so I have to work the day after I get back.  I figure if there's a problem I could find a place to stay (Eugene has hostels?) cheap and modify my reservation for the next day.  I know that's a 20% point penalty, but I have no problem with it if there's no other choice.
From here:

• If modifying a non-sleeper ticket within 24 hours prior to departure, or a sleeper ticket within 14 days prior to departure, an additional "close-in" penalty of 10% of the points redeemed will be collected (waived for Select Executive).
So there will be a 10% penalty on what you paid so long as you modify it before the CS departs Eugene (if you don't modify it before then, you just forfeit the ticket). If the new price is lower than what you paid originally, there will be a 10% penalty on the amount returned back to you, and if the new price is higher than what you paid, you just have to pay that points difference.

From here:

So there will be a 10% penalty on what you paid so long as you modify it before the CS departs Eugene (if you don't modify it before then, you just forfeit the ticket). If the new price is lower than what you paid originally, there will be a 10% penalty on the amount returned back to you, and if the new price is higher than what you paid, you just have to pay that points difference.
Well if that is the case I think it is well worth the risk.  And I don't think I mentioned - That run through the Cascades is pretty special, i.e. I think I could do it every day of my remaining life and not find it tiresome.

You can fly one-way SFO to Portland on Alaska for $89 and take the CS back overnight. Or take the CS overnight north and fly Alaska back for $89.

I would take the flight north and train back, so a very late train doesn’t cause you to miss all flights back from Portland that day of the CS arrival in Portland

You can fly one-way SFO to Portland on Alaska for $89 and take the CS back overnight. Or take the CS overnight north and fly Alaska back for $89.

I would take the flight north and train back, so a very late train doesn’t cause you to miss all flights back from Portland that day of the CS arrival in Portland
This is what I would recommend.  If you hunt around, you can get really cheap flights out of Oakland to PDX.  Fly up early in the morning, then take the Red Line downtown ($2.50).  You'll have enough time to see the waterfront, hit up Deschutes Brewery for a beer, grab some food at a food cart and hop on the train for your return.

Last edited by a moderator:
Again, I'm still on a tight budget at least until my first paycheck, so I'm trying to only use accumulated points.  I haven't made a redemption (the minimum 800 points each way) in about 2.5 years and I haven't had any points activity since 2017 when I had points post from a hotel stay.

I figure it would be an adventure.  I haven't been on Amtrak since my last redemption.  Even if there are delays I get I'll have to spend a little bit more for a place to stay but it's not my first choice.  I definitely don't want to pay for transportation right now.  My biggest worry would be getting stuck somewhere where I can't get cellular access and modify a reservation.

BTW - is it possible to modify a rewards reservation via the Amtrak app?  The website?  Or does it need to be called in?  I've reserved reward tickets that I later cancelled, but cancelling was an easy option.

You won't have cell access a lot of the time during the night, due to the terrain. You will have it in the morning briefly at Mt. Shasta, and then pretty much full-time as soon as you get up out of the canyon and forest. If you can see Highway 97, you are almost certain to have cell access. There's a good stretch south of Klamath Falls where you are right alongside the highway, and I frequently use that stretch to make calls. Good reception past K Falls all the way to Chemult. You should have plenty of time to make any changes.

I think the only risk is if a long delay happens after Chemult, in a spot without cell service in the mountains, in which case you may be out of luck.

You won't have cell access a lot of the time during the night, due to the terrain. You will have it in the morning briefly at Mt. Shasta, and then pretty much full-time as soon as you get up out of the canyon and forest. If you can see Highway 97, you are almost certain to have cell access. There's a good stretch south of Klamath Falls where you are right alongside the highway, and I frequently use that stretch to make calls. Good reception past K Falls all the way to Chemult. You should have plenty of time to make any changes.

I think the only risk is if a long delay happens after Chemult, in a spot without cell service in the mountains, in which case you may be out of luck.
I've taken the CS overnight once from Seattle to Emeryville.  I do remember being there south of Eugene where it was twilight and it was solid forest on both sides.  I've driven in highways in Oregon that were like that, although a single track through the forest is obviously narrower.  Definitely no cellular access.

Reminds me of the passenger who was arrested for apparently going something like 18 straight hours on the phone after being told to quiet down.  I was wondering how she managed to stay on the phone given the terrain.

However, I'm not sure if there might not be some way to be accommodated if that's an issue.  One time it was my fault I missed a stop with a nice beer buzz going.  The conductor (who knew me as a regular passenger) wrote up a note asking that I be accommodated on the way back.  The first train that arrived was a San Joaquin and they looked at the note and said I was fine.  It's my understanding that they have a little bit of leeway to ask for special accommodations if there are extenuating circumstances.

I started thinking about it and maybe I could work it on a weekend.  I was thinking maybe even as far as Seattle with my kid where we have relatives - just one day off from school.  Or maybe just Portland for two nights, with one day rental car to maybe go to Multnomah Falls and then a day around Portland.  They've got pretty good public transportation?  I was thinking of maybe getting their card, including one for my kid.

If you're willing to spend a couple hours at Multnomah Falls, you don't even need to get a car.

Columbia Gorge Express
Saw that.  Not quite sure I want to deal with their limited schedule.  Not sure why it's only 3 buses per day.  My 8 year old would get antsy waiting that long.  Plus, my kid is fascinated by cars and was really happy looking up what rental cars might be available.  I think it might also be better to get to some restaurants I've been looking up on Yelp that are dispersed.

But yeah - once I can make it back to downtown Portland I think the public transportation should run often enough that I won't be waiting too long with an 8 year old asking what's taking so long.

Saw that.  Not quite sure I want to deal with their limited schedule.  Not sure why it's only 3 buses per day.  My 8 year old would get antsy waiting that long.  Plus, my kid is fascinated by cars and was really happy looking up what rental cars might be available.  I think it might also be better to get to some restaurants I've been looking up on Yelp that are dispersed.

But yeah - once I can make it back to downtown Portland I think the public transportation should run often enough that I won't be waiting too long with an 8 year old asking what's taking so long.
Haha, there is plenty to do at Multnomah Falls -- don't miss the trail up the left-hand side to the top of the falls. Good way for a kid to work off some of that extra energy. But I totally get the point about the antsy 8 year old.

Saw that.  Not quite sure I want to deal with their limited schedule.  Not sure why it's only 3 buses per day. 
To be fair, that's three more buses per day than there were just a couple of years ago, when the service did not exist at all. Additionally, the summer schedule is much more robust...I want to say in the neighborhood of 10 r/t per day. Summer is definitely peak season in the gorge. I'm actually surprised they run a winter schedule at all.

That being said, renting a car is a perfectly legit thing to do, and would certainly open things up quite a bit.

Well - possible change in plans because now my wife wants to be in on it.  I also realized that my kid has a whole week off from school so we won't need to ask for a personal day off.

Possibly even going to the Seattle area where my BIL lives.  Then I suppose a couple of days in Portland followed by a trip back to the Bay Area.

Back