Former Amtrak CEO Joe Boardman Dies at Age 70

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's sad to hear - mom and I met Joe on the westbound Zephyr several summers ago.  He was a wonderfully personable guy and let us tour his office car.  Although not everyone agreed with all of his decisions, he seemed to be respected by many in the company.

Any reports of this development from a source having a claim to be called "recognized media"?

That's very shocking and sad news this Thursday morning. He was a very nice man who was always willing to show his kindness. I remember he had taken me for a tour of his office car on a station stop in Columbia once.

I'd like a source on this too. If so, a terrible loss.

But I hope that the Mark Twain quote is true in this case.

Any reports of this development from a source having a claim to be called "recognized media"?
My source for this is Brian Gallagher who is Joe's right hand man and also his family friend and a friend of mine. I have very good reason to trust Brian, way more than most of the recognized media, specially on this matter. ;)

According to Brian, Joe suffered a massive stroke while traveling in Florida on the 5th of March and was in intensive care since then. He passed away early this morning around 1:45am.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is really sad and shocking. I spoke with him at length about 5 months back. He was always passionate in his advocacy for an Amtrak National System and a set of corridors linked by the national network. His contribution to passenger rail spans NYDOT, FRA and then Amtrak. While at times we may have disagreed on various matters, on the whole his contribution was net positive and more than considerable. May he rest in peace. Condolences to Joe's family, and the Amtrak family.

This is very sad news.  Heartfelt condolences and prayers to the Boardman family on their loss.  In Joe's passing Amtrak passengers lost a strong supporter.  Even in his retirement Joe never ceased to be a positive voice for Amtrak.    R.I.P. Joe,  you will be missed.

Terrible news this morning of Joe Boardman’s sudden passing at age 70.
Sorry to hear this.  I may not have agreed with everything Joe did when he was managing Amtrak but he seemed to be settling into post-retirement advocacy for the national network and I appreciated that effort.

I'm sorry to hear about the untimely death of Mr. Boardman. I may not have agreed with every one of his decisions, but I think he had the best interests of Amtrak at heart. He certainly wasn't afraid to criticize the current administrators. He will be missed.

Very sorry to see this news this morning. He was a good man and also a champion of defending Amtrak as a National System  against Amtraks current misguided managment. I understand that he was Amtraks second longest serving CEO. 

I emailed him one time concerning the future of the Southwest Chief. To my surprise, he replied to me personally from his phone from a train. We had several emails back and forth and it was just nice to get some information straight from the man himself. I even emailed him a few months later and he again replied to me personally.

Like someone else said, did not agree with everything he did, but it did seem to me he was genuine and did care about the future of Amtrak.

I'm glad I had the chance to spend time with him and personally thank him (many times) for his times, whether we agreed or not.. He was the most approachable and talkative boss you could possibly have.  Far from aloof and distant, he made time for everyone and was passionate about his views...for better of for worse. ^_^

Most people would be lucky to have a boss like Mr. Boardman.

I'm glad I had the chance to spend time with him and personally thank him (many times) for his times, whether we agreed or not.. He was the most approachable and talkative boss you could possibly have.  Far from aloof and distant, he made time for everyone and was passionate about his views...for better of for worse. ^_^

Most people would be lucky to have a boss like Mr. Boardman.
Hearing you say that really makes me glad that I have a boss who is approachable. 

I once saw a news piece that featured Joe and how he would always talk to the employees and passengers any time he was traveling along. 

I truly respected the man for the things he did at Amtrak. Even more so taking leaps and bounds that hadn't been seen in years as far as purchasing new equipment. 

While Amtrak's safety record fell apart under his watch I'll never forget watching him at a news conference after the 188 incident. His face just described how he felt as the head of the company. He looked like he hadn't slept in days and looked truly distraught over the entire incident. I respected how he handled the media after that. Knowing that their were some serious answers that needed to come out. 

I'll always respect his directness towards congress. While he didn't do somethings that he should have, he knew what Amtrak was for and what it's purpose is. 

Back