Amtrak Train handling

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is my first post on this form so excuse me if I’m on the wrong topic. I was just wondering how Amtrak engineers manage coupler slack when starting their train? I’ve seen some of my engineers on trains use the independent brake then notching the train up but most engineers I’ve asked can’t really explain it because it just becomes a habit to them. Thanks for the info! 

This is my first post on this form so excuse me if I’m on the wrong topic. I was just wondering how Amtrak engineers manage coupler slack when starting their train? I’ve seen some of my engineers on trains use the independent brake then notching the train up but most engineers I’ve asked can’t really explain it because it just becomes a habit to them. Thanks for the info! 
I've wondered that myself.Also noted that they approach some Mainline stations quite fast and look like they do a full application quite late like a commuter train would

First off, Welcome! 

Each engineer is different. When they say it becomes a habit, they're not kidding. 

Some engineers will use the dynamic brake on the Electric motors then take air when they're ready to stop. It's really hard to explain without watching how someone does it. 

There isn't a lot of  comparative slack involved with Amtrak trains, especially after the ended the mail and roadrailer  service.

Back