Wine Question (packed in carry-on bags?)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We'll be traveling on the Empire Builder and the Lake Shore Limited in May. We plan to visit several wineries on our trip and plan to bring some wine home. We'll be in roomettes on the Empire Builder and Business Class on the Lake Shore Limited. If we leave the wine in our carry-on bags and keep the bags closed, do you think will we have any problems? I'd rather not pack the wine in the suitcases we'll check on the way home.

Thanks!

I can't imagine you would have any problem.  I've never had any bags I've brought on board being searched.

I don't think there is any restriction on carrying alcohol aboard a train?
Indeed. You can always transport booze on Amtrak, and since they’re in a sleeper, can consume it onboard (in their room) as well. The only restriction is that non-sleeper passengers can not consume their own stock onboard.

From experience, I see no concerns in any ability to bring multiple bottles of wine in your carry-on, as long as you follow good safe-luggage precautions like you mentioned.

Likely other "temptations" will prevail over the possibility of theft.
When my wife and I travel anywhere, we always make it a point to try to visit at least one local winery/wine store to sample the tastes of the region.  We always intend to bring several bottles home, but it's rare that our entire stash makes it.  Something about a relaxing evening on a train (in a roomette/bedroom of course) that just makes you want to open a bottle.  We now include a pair of polycarbonate wine glasses in our train case, since we know the temptation will usually win out.

~ ATE

Thanks for the reassuring responses!

Years ago we made a goal of visiting a winery in every state; in some states like Alaska and Hawaii we couldn't get to a winery, but, we did buy wine from a local winery in a store near where we stayed in the state. On this trip we plan to visit a winery in the last 3 states we're missing!

I think the biggest 'problem' transporting wine in carry on luggage is the possibility of a too-strong 'whack' on the side of the suit case, breaking a bottle.  So be sure to wrap each bottle in some clothing to protect the bottles from damage.

One other 'rule' I follow when packing liquids...NO electronics in the same suit case!   I think I'd cry if my Windows 7 laptop got a bath in some liquid I foolishly packed with it!  Wiping out an expensive DSLR and lenses would be a significant loss, too!  

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the biggest 'problem' transporting wine in carry on luggage is the possibility of a too-strong 'whack' on the side of the suit case, breaking a bottle.  So be sure to wrap each bottle in some clothing to protect the bottles from damage.

One other 'rule' I follow when packing liquids...NO electronics in the same suit case!   I think I'd cry if my Windows 7 laptop got a bath in some liquid I foolishly packed with it!  Wiping out an expensive DSLR and lenses would be a significant loss, too!  
Don't forget that the sleeping car attendant will be in your room to set up the beds at night and put them away in the morning so you will need to store the bottles of wine in a spot where they would not be easily knocked over and broken.

I've carried up to six bottle of wine on board Amtrak's Empire Builder. The wine was in a carrier that I got from my local wine store. I put the carrier in my backpack which I stored on the luggage rack on the first floor of the Superliner car. No problem encountered.

At this very moment, my suitcases are sitting in the luggage rack on the Acela, and they contain opened bottles of Carpana Antica vermouth and Agonstura bitters (the rye was consumed during the weekend, Manhattans were very popular) and Pusser's Brtish Navy recipe rum  (the hot buttered rum wasn't as popular.  Of course, being in open seating, I dare not open the bottles and finish them off, but then, I'm in First, and Amtrak is providing me with all the booze I want.

As long as the bottles are packed so they don't break and leak, I've never had any problems transporting booze on the train.

I've carried up to six bottle of wine on board Amtrak's Empire Builder. The wine was in a carrier that I got from my local wine store. I put the carrier in my backpack which I stored on the luggage rack on the first floor of the Superliner car. No problem encountered.
Now that I feel we'll be OK bringing wine on the train with us.....We actually have a padded carrier that holds 12 bottles of wine; it has wheels and looks like a normal weekender. I hope to use it for one of our carryon's, putting each bottle of wine in a large ziplock bag and the electronics in the other carryon.

I've successfully transported vintage Champagne and well aged single malt Scotch with large format bubble wrap. 

Looks a little silly but works surprisingly well.

BlueBubbleWrap.jpg

I've successfully transported vintage Champagne and well aged single malt Scotch with large format bubble wrap. 

Looks a little silly but works surprisingly well.  
The real question is how do you keep yourself from ruining that bubble wrap by happily popping all the bubbles? :p

Two words I agree with: Bubble Wrap.

Two words I agree with: Bubble Wrap.
Depends.  The tiny bubbles probably won't protect a glass bottle well.  It's harder to find the bigger ones, but I've had stuff packed in 1/2" wide bubble wrap before.  However, there are special cushion wrap protectors designed for wine/liquor bottles.

https://www.amazon.com/Protector-Sleeves-Cushioning-Airline-Transport/dp/B074NBFY2D

71qwQ5Wn0BL._SL1500_.jpg

These apparently need some sort of pump.  I've got a small air mattress inflator that I use for camping.  I thinking maybe even a handheld ball pump.  I remember buying one at Dollar Tree for $1.  Something like this one:

https://www.dollartree.com/tool-bench-hardware-upright-manual-air-pumps/206060

Back