Winter Storm Scott Adjustments 3/3/19-3/4/19

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thirdrail7

Engineer
The Keystones are operating on the "S" schedule on Monday. I'd keep an eye out for changes.

https://www.amtrak.com/alert/amtrak-modifies-keystone-service-in-advance-of-winter-storm.html

Modified Pennsylvanian and Keystone Service in Advance of Winter Storm

March 02, 2019 4:45 PM ET

Amtrak will operate a modified Keystone Service (New York – Philadelphia – Harrisburg) and Pennsylvanian (New York – Philadelphia – Pittsburgh) schedule on Sunday, March 3 and Monday, March 4, due to forecasted winter weather. Full scheduled service will be restored pending improved conditions.

Canceled service for Sunday, March 3, includes:

Pennsylvanian Train 43 with no alternate transportation

Canceled service for Monday, March 4, includes:

Keystone Service Trains 605, 609, 647, 651, 639, 642, 646, 656 & 620 with no alternate transportation

Pennsylvanian Train 42 with no alternate transportation

Northeast Corridor service between Boston and Washington, D.C. and points south will continue to operate as scheduled.

Anyone planning to travel should check their train status on Amtrak.com or our smartphone apps prior to departing, allow extra time to get to the station and be extremely careful in stations and on platforms.

Customers with reservations on trains that are being modified will typically be accommodated on trains with similar departure times or another day. Amtrak will gladly waive additional charges for customers looking to change their reservation during the modified schedule by calling our reservation center at 800-USA-RAIL. 

Anyone can subscribe to automated email or text message notifications if Amtrak trains are behind schedule at specific stations. Notifications can be given for up to six trains and stations by either text or email and delivered when you choose - on a single day, every day, or just certain days of the week. Create a subscription at Amtrak.com/DelayAlerts.

To be notified of service disruptions on the Northeast Corridor (including Acela Express, Northeast Regional and other corridor services), follow @AmtrakNECAlerts on Twitter. Customers with travel plans can review refund information on Amtrak.com. Service Alerts, Passenger Notices and other announcements are posted at Amtrak.com/Alerts.

Amtrak regrets any inconvenience. This information is correct as of the above time and date. Information is subject to change as conditions warrant.

Watching the weather forecast for the Philly area this evening they are calling for anywhere between 3-6 inches in a very defined area. West towards Lancaster and Harrisburg may get about a foot. As always take this with a grain of salt. 

But any reason for the 42/43 cancellation? It's very rare for them to cancel the train? I know that NS is going to be doing some Signal Cutovers on the Pitt Line tomorrow. Perhaps that factored into things? 

But any reason for the 42/43 cancellation? It's very rare for them to cancel the train? I know that NS is going to be doing some Signal Cutovers on the Pitt Line tomorrow. Perhaps that factored into things? 
Perhaps. They were probably concerned about 42(4) so they canceled 43(3). Whatever the reason, it may have paid off.

https://www.amtrak.com/alert/amtrak-service-between-philadelphia-and-harrisburg-is-temporarily-suspended.html

Amtrak Service Between Philadelphia and Harrisburg is Temporarily Suspended

March 04, 2019 6:00 AM

Amtrak Service Between Philadelphia and Harrisburg is Temporarily Suspended

All Amtrak service between Philadelphia and Harrisburg is temporarily suspended on Monday, March 4 due to issues with the overhead wires west of the Elizabethtown, Pa. station. Scheduled service will be restored pending repairs.

Northeast Corridor service between Boston and Washington, D.C. and points south will continue to operate as scheduled.

Anyone planning to travel should check their train status on Amtrak.com or our smartphone apps prior to departing, allow extra time to get to the station and be extremely careful in stations and on platforms.

The grain of salt is needed!

I guess it is completely out of the question short turning push-pull trains at Lancaster, on a modified schedule if necessary?
That was what they were originally doing but the timing of the manipulations interfered with and  impacted the NYP-PHL, the busiest portion of the route. 

That was what they were originally doing but the timing of the manipulations interfered with and  impacted the NYP-PHL, the busiest portion of the route. 
There are plenty of other Amtrak trains that run NYP-PHL, but nevertheless that became the priority over the LNC-Philly section, which had no other rail options west of Thorndale? In a perfect world, SEPTA could have a run a couple of its Thorndale trains out to Lancaster to pick up/drop off stranded passengers, but that is far too outside the box for anyone to even suggest, I'd imagine.

I doubt SEPTA would have enough qualified staff to run to LNC. It was Amtrak's to run and as is generally expected these days, they didn't show up to play..
Yeah, you're probably right. I used to see SEPTA trains layover at LNC when SEPTA went as far west as Parkesburg...but that's probably been a good 15 years since they truncated back to Thorndale, and would typically have no reason to run west of there. 

There are plenty of other Amtrak trains that run NYP-PHL, but nevertheless that became the priority over the LNC-Philly section, which had no other rail options west of Thorndale? In a perfect world, SEPTA could have a run a couple of its Thorndale trains out to Lancaster to pick up/drop off stranded passengers, but that is far too outside the box for anyone to even suggest, I'd imagine.
Those plenty of other of reserved trains are pretty much already full between NYP-PHL, the heaviest portion of the NYP-WAS route. Keystone are typically priced cheaper along that portion of the route and carry significant ridership between the points. Aside from a few possible mid day trains, most couldn't absorb the impact of the loss of the keystones.

I doubt SEPTA would have enough qualified staff to run to LNC. It was Amtrak's to run and as is generally expected these days, they didn't show up to play..
Septa employees are only qualified 1 train length west of Park interlocking.  43(4) is going to have a photo finish at PGH. This may impact 42(5).

Back