Train Jam 2019: CZ (5) March 14-16, 2019

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back in 2015 Train Jam did not fully book the train.  They have for several years now.  Heck 2015 might of been the only year that they did not book the entire train.  Very popular event, big backers, good underlining plan, and good people to shepherd it though.
I think in 2016 they worked with Amtrak to add a dedicated Sightseer Lounge  for their group, but the train was still a mix of Tain Jam and regular riders. 2017 and 2018 they booked out the whole train. 

If this is something you so desperately want checked, why can't you do it yourself? And considering we've got more than four months until Arrow will even show availability for mid-March of 2020, what even is your point? You're saying that we should just shut up now, stop talking about this, and then several months from now, check the reservation system? Sheesh.
Son, I say two words: “Foghorn Leghorn.”

On 12/7/2018 at 4:27 PM, cpotisch said:
If this is something you so desperately want checked, why can't you do it yourself? And considering we've got more than four months until Arrow will even show availability for mid-March of 2020, what even is your point? You're saying that we should just shut up now, stop talking about this, and then several months from now, check the reservation system? Sheesh.
Son, I say two words: “Foghorn Leghorn.”
What does that mean, dad? (I know the character, but don’t get the reference)

Hey everyone - I'm Adriel, the founder and organizer of Train Jam. I've seen these threads pop up over the last few years, and I just wanted to finally say hi and see if you all had any questions for me about Train Jam! Train Jam has gotten so much larger over the last few years than I ever really expected it to, and it's been super fascinating to learn about Amtrak (and trains, in general, honestly) as I've been able to work more closely with them.

Organizing Train Jam is one of the highlights of my whole year, and something that I hold very close to my heart - the California Zephyr route is so incredibly beautiful, and I love that Train Jam has allowed me to share it with so many new people every year.

Hey everyone - I'm Adriel, the founder and organizer of Train Jam. I've seen these threads pop up over the last few years, and I just wanted to finally say hi and see if you all had any questions for me about Train Jam! Train Jam has gotten so much larger over the last few years than I ever really expected it to, and it's been super fascinating to learn about Amtrak (and trains, in general, honestly) as I've been able to work more closely with them.

Organizing Train Jam is one of the highlights of my whole year, and something that I hold very close to my heart - the California Zephyr route is so incredibly beautiful, and I love that Train Jam has allowed me to share it with so many new people every year.
Welcome! Might I ask how far out Amtrak requires you to book for an entire-train event like this?

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome! Might I ask how far out Amtrak requires you to book for an entire-train event like this?
I start talking to them almost immediately after Train Jam is over, and lock in my group reservation's dates dates right away...so, that all gets finalized (with a deposit paid and everything) about a year in advance of the next year's Train Jam.

And Amtrak opens ticket sales for its trains to the general public 11 months in advance.

So maybe it IS impossible for someone to get bumped from TrainJam.

P.S. Foghorn Leghorn’s most famous expression is “I say, son, it’s a JOKE, son.”

For those readers not familiar with previous threads at this time of year, here’s a reminder that the westbound California Zephyr departing Chicago on 14 March is completely sold out for its entire journey to Emeryville.

All tickets were purchased via TrainJam several months ago, within 24 hours of going on sale.

I checked out the prices on the TrainJam journey and they look pretty decent. If true its surprising that Amtrak would permit one organization to buy out the entire train and not leave anything for other travelers. There are periodic travel groups on the Western trains but we have never encountered a situation like this. 

I checked out the prices on the TrainJam journey and they look pretty decent. If true its surprising that Amtrak would permit one organization to buy out the entire train and not leave anything for other travelers. There are periodic travel groups on the Western trains but we have never encountered a situation like this. 
How'd you figure that? Fares for TrainJam are well above anything Amtrak charges. $490 for ONE BED in a Roomette? Those prices are just absurd for anyone who doesn't plan to actually take part in the event, so I don't see why Amtrak would have much of an issue.

While the Coach fare from Train Jam is indeed $27 more than Amtraks low bucket coach fare of $173, none of the the other are.  Roomettes are the same, whereas Family Bedrooms are $164 less  and Bedrooms are $111 less than Amtraks low bucket fares.

Kindly check the facts before posting such drivel.
I think he's right, actually; Train Jams' tickets are for one bed in the sleeper rooms, not the entire thing.

In any case, it sounds like the organization just bought out the whole train; having it be sold out could be an annoyance to others but LD trains sometimes sell out organically anyway. It's not like they're booting anyone off to accommodate this travel group. 

I think he's right, actually; Train Jams' tickets are for one bed in the sleeper rooms, not the entire thing.
Are you saying Train Jam can sell the other bed to somebody else?  Anybody else?  Wait! Yes they can!! 

My apologies - didn't read past the fares the first time and failed to notice this:  

All bedroom prices are PER PERSON, and we will work with all attendees to ensure that everyone is comfortable with their roommate

<tucks tail between legs and slowly exits the discussion>

Are you saying Train Jam can sell the other bed to somebody else?  Anybody else?  Wait! Yes they can!! 

My apologies - didn't read past the fares the first time and failed to notice this:  

<tucks tail between legs and slowly exits the discussion>
It’s all good  :) , though I do have a bit of advice for you in the future:

Please use some prudence when posting stuff on the interweb - it can come back to haunt you. 

Some comments...

It could be worse.  Sharing a roomette on a Viewliner with a stranger could be challenging at times (like at 2am for me  :D   )..

It might be good that Train Jam has the entire train.  I would not like being the only passenger on the train, not associated with the event.

Isn't there also an east coast train ( a Silver? ) that is entirely used to host a single event?

And while the Superliner family rooms have beds for two adults and two child-sized persons, I think TrainJam only sells the two adult beds in that room, which might be a good deal, space-wise, for the occupants.

And while the Superliner family rooms have beds for two adults and two child-sized persons, I think TrainJam only sells the two adult beds in that room, which might be a good deal, space-wise, for the occupants.
Yep. I like how they don't even make any pretense of there being more than two:

Family Bedroom ($575USD): This ticket includes one space in a Family Bedroom. These rooms have two beds, fit two adults, and include meals in the restaurant car, as well as access to showers and other such pleasurable amenities. These are much more spacious than the Superliner Roomettes, so you’ll have a bit more wiggle room!

All tickets were purchased via TrainJam several months ago, within 24 hours of going on sale.
The videogame nerd/geek crowd might not ride their train to GDC 2019 which is to be held in San Francisco, if the Donner Pass/Sierra tracks are not cleared before the 14th, or another avalanche/white out/wash out/tree/snowbound conditions occur in a way that will prevent 5 (14) from running (i.e. the tracks must be passable to traffic by/before then, and the CA Zephyr running), which has been a recent issue.

Last year it was the first train across that route after a major snow event.  At some point a set of snow plows were leading the train. Also the organizer leave a extra day scheduled in case of delays or reroute.

Hi, Train Jam organizer here!

We do a lot of things just to keep the organization simple since a lot of the folks who come onto the train have never ridden a train before (let-alone a long distance Amtrak train, specifically), and many are traveling from abroad (so they aren't familiar with American trains at all). One of the major things I do is to just cap each room at 2 people. Doing this stops a lot of confusion for people in terms of pricing, space, ticket type, etc (both for the folks coming on the train AND for me keeping track of 342 people).  We also use a combination of the tickets and sponsor money to cover all snacks in both (yep, two!) lounge cars, so pricing might look a bit strange to those of you who are used to Amtrak's regular pricing.

I know it's a little strange to have us take over an entire train once a year, but so many people who attend Train Jam get such a joy out of being able to travel across the country, see the amazing sights, and work with a diverse set of people from all over the world....all while doing the thing they love - creating games. We have people from almost every continent of the world who have never been to the US before, who get to immediately experience some of the absolute best scenery the US has to offer, and I really appreciate how much Amtrak has embraced us over the years to do such a weird thing in such an amazing place.

If you want a little taste of what Train Jam is like, here's an article that was written about us a few years ago (before we were big enough to take over the whole train), which I think really captures the spirit of why we do this every year: https://www.polygon.com/features/2016/4/8/11376970/train-jam-2016

I'd love to answer any questions y'all might have about us!

Back