Upcoming Site Software Change

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PRR 60

Engineer
AU Supporting Member
Gathering Team Member
Amtrak Unlimited Forums presently uses Invision Community as the site software. Soon, the site will be moving to XenForo software. XenForo is a widely used forum software package with a look and feel like Invision.

When we have an idea with timing, we will let you know.

I guess I will be the first one to ask questions here.  I understand that Angie (the admin that works for the forum owner and who has used XenForo) will be answering our questions.

Will we be getting BBCode back?

Will we still have the opportunity to "like" others' posts?

Will we still be able to have signatures underneath each post?

Will we still have "titles" based on our post count (Engineer, Conductor, OBS Chief, etc)?

For future reference (and I get that there's a 99.9% chance that someone will have remembered this anyway), here are all the different member groups, colors, associated post counts, and titles:

Screen Shot 2019-02-26 at 4.25.24 PM.png

EDIT: I realize I omitted the Gathering Team Members group from there. They are green.

Last edited by a moderator:
I second DA’s gratefulness for the advance warning.
Will the mobile app continue to be functional?

I've created a free demo site (valid for 30 days until 1 March) that I'm playing with.  Looks decent.

If anyone wants access, shoot me a PM.

HALLELUIAH!!!!

Screen Shot 2019-02-26 at 5.24.26 PM.png

I've created a free demo site (valid for 30 days) that I'm playing with.  Looks decent.

If anyone wants access, shoot me a PM.

HALLELUIAH!!!!

View attachment 12677
8Lyh.gif

I have not checked out the test site created, so I don't know how it is set up or how it will relate to the settings that will be done during the transfer and the few days after when tweaks are applied.

I have used bb code in signature, or in notices.    

Levels of membership as shown in that chart can be set up.     Most love that images can be easily uploaded or copied and pasted into a post/message.    Private Messages are called conversations, but most still say PM when wanting to privately talk to someone.

That Rocketry Forum is another one I Admin on.   It's a fun group of people but dedicated to the technicalities of Rocketry.   You'd probably relate to that.  

Signatures are a yes.  

Likes are yes.   I have one forum that had me take the likes away and that was hard to do, as I like likes.

And I don't know the exact day of transfer yet, but looking as if somewhere at the end of next week.

Likes are yes.   I have one forum that had me take the likes away and that was hard to do, as I like likes.
Can we get dislikes included as well? 

Without genuine choice each like and thank you begins to feel more hollow and pointless.

If there is concern over abuse maybe turn off voting for new members until they reach a certain level.

• There are no dislikes in the software we use.   If you do not like something, just do not LIKE something.  That withholds your approval.

• There are no dislikes in the software we use.   If you do not like something, just do not LIKE something.  That withholds your approval.
You seem to be misunderstanding the problem.  I'm not looking for a faster/easier method to show disagreement with the posts of others.  I merely desire to provide a simple and easy method for busier and/or less vocal people to express a larger range of single-click reactions toward my own posts.

You seem to be misunderstanding the problem.  I'm not looking for a faster/easier method to show disagreement with the posts of others.  I merely desire to provide a simple and easy method for busier and/or less vocal people to express a larger range of single-click reactions toward my own posts.
Don't make a rod for your own back!  :D

Ed.

Don't make a rod for your own back!  :D

Ed.
Encountering adversity is part of living in the real world.  It may not be rational but at least it's genuine.  What we have now is a kindergarten reaction system that gives you a choice between head pats and participation trophies.  That description may be slightly exaggerated but hopefully you can see where I'm coming from.  That's not to say I don't appreciate it when people agree with me, but when we withhold the option for negative reactions it dilutes the meaning and relevance of all other reactions.  Or at least that's my view on the subject.

Once the change is done, I'll see if I can find a special emoji just for you.

I like the look, but I am concerned about integration with Facebook.

I do not go near Facebook and will have nothing to do with it.

If integration is mandatory, as much as I love AU, I would have to leave.

Will it be mandatory? If not, is there any guarantee that something I post will not get on there somehow anyway?

Also, will our old PMs stay? Or be deleted?

I like the look, but I am concerned about integration with Facebook.

I do not go near Facebook and will have nothing to do with it.

If integration is mandatory, as much as I love AU, I would have to leave.

Will it be mandatory? If not, is there any guarantee that something I post will not get on there somehow anyway?

Also, will our old PMs stay? Or be deleted?
I too would like some clarification on Facebook integration. As someone who does not use Facebook, will I still be able to be an active member here? Or will I be relegated to just reading?

The content of the site does not automatically go to FB page.   

Here is the Facebook page for the AU Forum, it is basically ignored for some time.

And just because that test forum was set up by Ryan, we don't use thinks like Facebook and Twitter feeds, etc.    You're content here is safe.

I want to double check about the PM's.  

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back