Viewliner II Part 4: Sleeping Car production, delivery, deployment

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Taking the toilets out of service is very easy. Just bolt the covers shut. It really is yet another case of AU solutions looking for a problem, which actually creates more problems than it solves. :lol:

I doubt that they will let people choose like that, since it would be extremely confusing to have two different varieties of Viewliner Roomettes available. It would also almost certainly result in cases of angry passengers getting the "toilet configuration" they don't want due to cars being bad-ordered.

What I really think makes the most sense here is to replace one Roomette with the two shared toilets like the V-IIs, but to still leave the en suite toilets in the other 11 Roomettes. That way, they don't have to go to the trouble during the overhaul of taking all the toilets out (which means the cars can be put back into service faster), all sleepers will have exactly 11 revenue Roomettes, and passengers riding in V-Is will have be able to use the bathroom in their room OR at the end of the hall. As to how they would now have to advertise the amenities of Roomettes since some will have the en suite and some won't, they could just leave it as a "surprise" to those who end up in a V-I, since those who don't like it can just use the one down the hall.
Doesn't work for people who have to get up umpteen times during the night to go to the bathroom AND who are not steady enough on their feet to walk down the hallway on a moving train.

jb

We are concerned that just one V-2 sleeper is coming as has been posted.  We are not sure that the one number is correct?.  Hopefully not? .  If the difference in what has happened with the bag dorms can we expect that much delay for the sleepers? 

Sending a single car is normal. Future deliveries will likely be multiples, but the first one is rarely such. 

Doesn't work for people who have to get up umpteen times during the night to go to the bathroom AND who are not steady enough on their feet to walk down the hallway on a moving train.

jb
Well fortunately there is an accessible room that has a toilet, this is why they have that room.

jb
They appear to somehow make it work on Superliners though [emoji57]

22 hours ago, John Bobinyec said:
jb

They appear to somehow make it work on Superliners though
emoji57.png

True, but it was still nice to not have to do that on VLs.

jb
Well fortunately there is an accessible room that has a toilet, this is why they have that room.
The standard Bedrooms also have a toilet (and sink and shower), not just the Accessible.

We are concerned that just one V-2 sleeper is coming as has been posted.  We are not sure that the one number is correct?.  Hopefully not? .  If the difference in what has happened with the bag dorms can we expect that much delay for the sleepers? 
Unless something has changed, it was one diner and one sleeper. They were actually supposed to make the move on Monday but it is a holiday. I haven't had time to follow it.

Unless something has changed, it was one diner and one sleeper. They were actually supposed to make the move on Monday but it is a holiday. I haven't had time to follow it.
Well, that was easy. 

tenor.gif

What isn't easy is these cars are apparently named after rivers.  I may go by the last three numbers but will start with this:

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
[img=[URL="https://api.mapbox.com/styles/v1/mapbox/outdoors-v9/static/url-https%3A%2F%2Fwww.trails.com%2Fimages%2FbrowseByMap%2Fmap-icons%2FFlyFishing.png(-78.06456,38.31243)/-78.06456,38.31243,15/200x120?access_token=pk.eyJ1IjoidHJhaWxzIiwiYSI6ImNpdGwyM2w4aDAwMDUyeW84dTE2Yzkycm4ifQ.Rb2yrBLWc3M3sPtwE2yUtA%5B/img%5D"]https://api.mapbox.com/styles/v1/mapbox/outdoors-v9/static/url-https%3A%2F%2Fwww.trails.com%2Fimages%2FbrowseByMap%2Fmap-icons%2FFlyFishing.png(-78.06456,38.31243)/-78.06456,38.31243,15/200x120?access_token=pk.eyJ1IjoidHJhaWxzIiwiYSI6ImNpdGwyM2w4aDAwMDUyeW84dTE2Yzkycm4ifQ.Rb2yrBLWc3M3sPtwE2yUtA[/img][/URL]
That link doesn't work.

God forbid the railroad calls an extra move on a Holiday.  <_<  I thought the railroad ran 365/24/7? 

So much sarcasm intended in this post it's unreal. ;)  

The standard Bedrooms also have a toilet (and sink and shower), not just the Accessible.
They do indeed! However the Bedrooms have that as a luxury item as opposed to what sounds like a necessity (mobility, etc).

I dont care If they have toilets or not, but there must be a community toilet. If you've ever traveled with your parent, its preferable not to have to wake them up and ask them to leave or have them close their eyes and/or stuff their head into a pillow while you urinate in the middle of the night.

They do indeed! However the Bedrooms have that as a luxury item as opposed to what sounds like a necessity (mobility, etc).

I dont care If they have toilets or not, but there must be a community toilet. If you've ever traveled with your parent, its preferable not to have to wake them up and ask them to leave or have them close their eyes and/or stuff their head into a pillow while you urinate in the middle of the night.
I think most of us 70+ year parents don't mind much if the kids, grandkids, great-grandkids -- have to widdle sometimes. And if I need to  pee, the younger generations politely ignore. In return for me being peed on by them so many times.

But when travelling with non-family - which I've done many times -- that's different.

The one time I was arrested (and later released) the cellmate couldn't or wouldn't use they toilet in the tiny cubicle in my presence, I turned my face to the wall, but not good enough. He called the the jailer wanting me removed from the cell while he used the toilet. The joke was, the toilet and drinking water both broken in the cell we shared :)

So, for me, Amtrak facilities mostly OK. What I've seen of the Bedrooms -- I'd rather use the shared shower down the hall.

God forbid the railroad calls an extra move on a Holiday.  <_<  I thought the railroad ran 365/24/7? 

So much sarcasm intended in this post it's unreal. ;)  
They called the move since NS told them the MON-TUE slot is what works so, they are heading up as we speak.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back