Getting from Chicago Union to Chicago O'Hare?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are there Lifts going down to the Blue Line at the Lasalle Station?  t\They have one that goes up to the Rock Island line.  It is about 1/2 mile from CUS.  The North Central Service line out of CUS does not run on weekends does it??

Last edited by a moderator:
Are there Lifts going down to the Blue Line at the Lasalle Station?  t\They have one that goes up to the Rock Island line.  It is about 1/2 mile from CUS.  The North Central Service line out of CUS does not run on weekends does it??

No to both questions.

The only Blue Line subway stations with elevators are Jackson, Clark/Lake, Logan Square, and O’Hare.

There is a pedestrian tunnel that goes from the South Concourse at Union Station to the (CTA) bus transit center at Canal and Jackson. If you wanted, you could walk through the tunnel and take the elevator up to the bus area. Then, you could hop on a bus to Clark/Lake and take the escalator (or elevator) down to the Blue Line.

It's not immediate/direct, but it's easier than walking up/down stairs with bags, and the service is more frequent than Metra. I'm not ashamed to say I've done this when it's pouring rain or -20 and I don't want to walk to the buses.

No to both questions.

The only Blue Line subway stations with elevators are Jackson, Clark/Lake, Logan Square, and O’Hare.
Not quite correct but functionally so for this purpose. Jackson and Clark/Lake *are* the only accessible downtown Blue Line stations, and the next one between downtown and O'Hare is Western Avenue, which is nowhere near downtown for these purposes. But there *are* more accessible Blue stations between Clark/Lake and O'Hare than Logan Square: Western, Addison, Jefferson Park, Harlem, Cumberland, and Rosemont.

Actually, mentioning Jefferson Park gives me an idea for a third alternative if accessibility is an issue but the Metra North Central doesn't work: Metra UP Northwest from Ogilvie (north of Union Station) to Jefferson Park, then an accessible transfer to the Blue Line to O'Hare. Much less frequent than the subway, but a better schedule than North Central, including weekend service. At Jefferson Park, there's a ramp down from Metra track level to ground, and an elevator inside CTA fare control from ground down to subway track level.

Not quite correct but functionally so for this purpose. Jackson and Clark/Lake *are* the only accessible downtown Blue Line stations, and the next one between downtown and O'Hare is Western Avenue, which is nowhere near downtown for these purposes. But there *are* more accessible Blue stations between Clark/Lake and O'Hare than Logan Square: Western, Addison, Jefferson Park, Harlem, Cumberland, and Rosemont.

Actually, mentioning Jefferson Park gives me an idea for a third alternative if accessibility is an issue but the Metra North Central doesn't work: Metra UP Northwest from Ogilvie (north of Union Station) to Jefferson Park, then an accessible transfer to the Blue Line to O'Hare. Much less frequent than the subway, but a better schedule than North Central, including weekend service. At Jefferson Park, there's a ramp down from Metra track level to ground, and an elevator inside CTA fare control from ground down to subway track level.
You’ll note that I used the word “subway” in my response.  None of the stations you mentioned are in a subway.

I don't know why almost everyone on this forum always suggests using Clinton to get to Union Station, especially considering that most people will have luggage.

Given, it's the closest L stop.   But, as noted by others, not the best suited for travelers.

The old joke in Chicago is that if you ask five people for directions, you'll get five different ways of going someplace.   Everyone has a best way of their own.

That said, I'll give you the best way from O'Hare to Union Station!

Take the Blue Line.   You won't stand out, as a traveler, at all.   Lots of other people, including numerous flight attendants, will also be riding and hauling luggage.   Yes, you might need to tuck a bag in by the seat or in the aisle next to you.   Everybody does this.   It is reasonably safe riding the L.   Thousands of people do it every day.   Travelers are no more susceptible to attack.   Though, someone walking through cars with a sob story seeking money from passengers might consider one a slightly better mark.  Just ignore them or politely wave them away.

Alight at Jackson.   Take the elevator to the platform level.   Then the elevator outside the paid area to street level.  You'll be on Dearborn, outside the Federal Courthouse.   Walk a half block to Adams.   There you can board numerous buses, all of which will take you across the street from Union Station.  (Just ask the driver to alert you to the stop, if needed.)

This is easy peasy.

An interesting routing, from a railfan perspective.   But includes dragging luggage up and down stairs on Metra cars, additionally.   In practice, I don't know why anyone would make such a change to get downtown.   Though it certainly works for other destinations, especially in the Northwest burbs.

Yeah. You have to walk all the way to Dearborn to the Blue Line Washington Station in that direction.

Or to Jackson on the South side, if one must avoid Clinton that is.

Or take the loop from Quincy or Washington/Wells to Clark/Lake and change there to the Blue.

In general IMHO transit connectivity to Union Station borderline sucks.
I actually think that transit connectivity there is pretty darn good.   One, simply, needs to be willing to take a short connecting bus ride, with the numerous routes that run up and down Jackson and Adams, if seeking to get to the L or elsewhere.

I don't know why almost everyone on this forum always suggests using Clinton to get to Union Station, especially considering that most people will have luggage.

Given, it's the closest L stop.   But, as noted by others, not the best suited for travelers.

The old joke in Chicago is that if you ask five people for directions, you'll get five different ways of going someplace.   Everyone has a best way of their own.

That said, I'll give you the best way from O'Hare to Union Station!

Take the Blue Line.   You won't stand out, as a traveler, at all.   Lots of other people, including numerous flight attendants, will also be riding and hauling luggage.   Yes, you might need to tuck a bag in by the seat or in the aisle next to you.   Everybody does this.   It is reasonably safe riding the L.   Thousands of people do it every day.   Travelers are no more susceptible to attack.   Though, someone walking through cars with a sob story seeking money from passengers might consider one a slightly better mark.  Just ignore them or politely wave them away.

Alight at Jackson.   Take the elevator to the platform level.   Then the elevator outside the paid area to street level.  You'll be on Dearborn, outside the Federal Courthouse.   Walk a half block to Adams.   There you can board numerous buses, all of which will take you across the street from Union Station.  (Just ask the driver to alert you to the stop, if needed.)

This is easy peasy.
Oh, and since I see that you're going TO O'Hare...

First, stop by the ticketing area for Metra.   There, you can purchase a single use CTA ticket (good for the first ride and two transfers within two hours of initial use.)   

Now, head up to the concourse level via the escalator by the south (even numbered) tracks.  (I believe there is also an elevator near there, which may allow you to get to street level, avoiding the escalators altogether.   But, I always use the escalator.)  Walk ahead, staying to the right, on the mezzanine level.   Then, take the escalator you'll encounter up to street level.   Exit Union Station. 

Some guy may offer to hold the door for you or assist with your bags.   He's hustling for tips.  (I'll always accept the open door, but decline any bag help.  "I've got them, thanks!")

Enjoy a brief view of the Chicago River, if you like. Or, gaze up at the Willis (formerly Sears) Tower, for a moment.

Now, cross Jackson, at the light.  You'll find the bus stop is right there, just steps away.   Take any bus.   Any bus other than the 151 will let you off at the corner of Dearborn and Jackson.  Cross Dearborn and Jackson, then walk ahead (north) a half block along Dearborn to the Blue Line elevator.

Ta Da!

Now, a minor variance.   If the bus you catch happens to be the 151, it will turn on Dearborn.  Not to worry.  It actually will drop you at the next stop right by another entrance to the Blue Line.  However, there is no elevator there.  So, you'll have to walk back (south) a block.

Others take note:  Of course, these buses will also get you within a block of the Red Line, Brown, Pink, and Orange Lines, Purple Express, with an easy transfer to the Green Line, too.  You can transfer to other north/south even east/west routes easily on Clark, Dearborn, State, and Michigan.  The 151 will take you directly to the Chicago Theater, the Magnificent Mile, the Lincoln Park Zoo, and all kinds of other interesting locales on the north side.  The 28 will take you to the Art Institute, Symphony Center, Grant Park, Museum Campus, University of Chicago, Museum of Science and Industry, and other points south.

I know CTA operates a light rail train that goes to the airport and the closest stop is a few blocks from Union Station. 
BTW (rail geek alert, though something which might be of interest here, despite it having no practical bearing upon your travels) CTA's L train is actually considered heavy rail:

http://designlightrail.com/lightrailcompare/

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passenger_rail_terminology

Though, the Yellow Line (former Skokie Swift) is looked at, historically, as being something of a prototype for light rail in the U.S.

https://www.chicago-l.org/operations/lines/yellow.html

BTW (rail geek alert, though something which might be of interest here, despite it having no practical bearing upon your travels) CTA's L train is actually considered heavy rail:

http://designlightrail.com/lightrailcompare/

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passenger_rail_terminology

Though, the Yellow Line (former Skokie Swift) is looked at, historically, as being something of a prototype for light rail in the U.S.

https://www.chicago-l.org/operations/lines/yellow.html
Well, of course, all of the CTA's rolling stock is descended from a PCC based model..... So... Could it be called light rail? Inspired?

Well, of course, all of the CTA's rolling stock is descended from a PCC based model..... So... Could it be called light rail? Inspired?
I was thinking the same thing about the 1-50 cars and 6000s.

Don't know if I'd say all is descended from those cars, however.  Much of contemporary rolling stock was based more on 2000 series.   And, now, the 5000 series are next gen.

1@NorthShore[/USER] 1@Metra Electric Rider[/USER] Wait, the L equipment is based off a 70 year old streetcar type? :huh:  

How exactly did this:                                                                                                                                                                                
02222012_22letters_trolley-8191447.jpg

...turn into these:

HCRY-Chicago-48.jpg
DIAct2gU0AIwWKN.jpg

1@NorthShore[/USER] 1@Metra Electric Rider[/USER] Wait, the L equipment is based off a 70 year old streetcar type? :huh:  

How exactly did this:

...turn into these:

This article offers a pretty good summary.  Essentially, early life PCC streetcars were stripped of everything, then new carbodies built with all the PCC parts.   These remain the most memorable and beloved of CTAs historic and retired rolling stock by many Chicagoans to this day.

https://www.chicago-l.org/trains/roster/6000.html

http://americanhistory.si.edu/america-on-the-move/essays/cta-6719

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/6000_series_(CTA)

And Chicago's PCCs weren't orange.  They were green and white/cream or, the early ones from Pullman, blue and white/cream, with cool nicknames related to their color and paint schemes.

https://news.wttw.com/2016/06/01/ask-geoffrey-look-back-chicagos-streetcar-era

Question:

There's been many discussions, including this most recent, on how to get to-from ORD and/or MDW to CUS. And lots of good info. and lots of off-topic wandering.

Does anyone have a better idea for how this site could organize the best and most useful info -- and there's a lot, if a casual user can find it -- but the search  function isn't real useful, as far as I know.

?ideas? move this to the site functions discussion?

How to make it better?

Back