Texas Eagle Route

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well it travels up the median of the "Mopac" freeway from Austin to Taylor. I think the section from Taylor to Temple was ex Mopac too.

Last edited by a moderator:
All of St. Louis to Longview is former (1950s) MoPac, as well as Taylor to San Antonio (until you get into San Antonio itself; the former MoPac station was at a different location). Longview to Dallas is former Texas & Pacific (a part of the MoPac system for essentially all of the 20th century). Dallas to Fort Worth is either former Rock Island (mostly, now) or else former MoPac (Texas & Pacific), depending on the vagaries of dispatching that day.  Fort Worth to Temple is former AT&SF. Temple to Taylor, as Bob Dylan correctly notes, was former Missouri-Kansas-Texas (Katy). Chicago to St. Louis was formerly The Alton Route/Baltimore & Ohio/Gulf, Mobile & Ohio, depending on exactly which years you're talking about.

Last edited by a moderator:
Member "ehbowen" provided me the following route info when I traveled the entire distance last summer. It was very helpful.

Chicago to St. Louis: Gulf, Mobile & Ohio (former Alton Route)

St. Louis to Texarkana: Missouri Pacific

Texarkana to Dallas: Texas & Pacific (Missouri Pacific Affiliate)

Dallas to Fort Worth: Rock Island

Fort Worth to Temple: Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe

Temple to (north of) Taylor: Missouri-Kansas-Texas

Taylor to San Antonio: Missouri Pacific

San Antonio to Los Angeles: Southern Pacific

Back