Rocky Mountaineer New Equipment

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I feel like we're both saying almost the same thing at this point but one of us doesn't realize it yet?  ^_^

By my way of thinking these are proper domes...

IMG_0588.JPG

^ These examples happen to be separated with shorter cars in between, but even if they were connected directly to each other you'd still get a pretty good view all around.
That the Canadian?

Here are two "full domes" (or more properly "Super Domes") coupled together on an excursion run. Now I wasn't on that train, but can tell that you don't get a full 360* view becuase there is another dome car right there.

The car on the left is a Pullman-Standard built “Superdome”.  The one on the right is a. Budd built “Big Dome” or “Great Dome”, depending on if it was a former ATSF or GN...

That's an ATSF dome. You can tell by the fluting. The GN car is slab sided. And yes Cpotisch that is the Canadian in one of the pictures. Vista Domes domes are the true domes. The CRC domes are an abomination of dome cars in my opinion.

Here's an exMilwaukee  'Superdome' ....CN 'Sceneramic' on the Super Continental at Winnipeg in 1975. Seats were placed too low for goods views forward or rear compared to a Budd Dome (Photo 3 & 4 below)

75-10Scan10002.JPG

Image (5).jpg

IMG_20131202_123223.jpg

22.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
CN eventually modified the 'Sceneramic' dome interiors from conventional coach style seating to a bar and lounge. (But you certainly couldn't beat that rear view from the exMilwaukee 'Skytop' CN 'Skyview' cars used on the Ocean Limited!) 

65-13.jpg

20.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back