How to find out which Amfleet is used?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

troo troo tcrane

Train Attendant
Trying to decide between a few possibilities between DC and Boston. I read the Amfleet II is more comfortable? Is that true?

Thanks!

Would business class make a major difference then?.
On all but one of those trains that are the exact same set up as the coach cars, except they seat 62 instead of 72 passengers, have foot rests, and generally have no kids (so I'd always recommend it on weekends).

You also get an unlimited availability of most non-alcoholic beverages in the cafe car, simply by showing your ticket. So if you're someone who doesn't want to pack all kinds of drinks, I would keep this in mind as well. The cost of beverages can add up real quick, if you're riding from DC to Boston.

Trying to decide between a few possibilities between DC and Boston. I read the Amfleet II is more comfortable? Is that true?
You are correct that the AM-IIs are much more comfortable than the AM-Is, with the main benefit being the seating. While each Amfleet I coach holds 80 passengers (which I would note still offers plenty of space), each Amfleet II holds only 60 passengers, which means that you get a tremendous amount of legroom - slightly more than you get in Amfleet I Business Class. The other benefits of the AM-IIs are that each seat has leg rests, window curtains, and significantly larger windows.

The easiest way to identify the different car types are the doors. While Amfleet Is have doors at both ends of the car, Amfleet IIs only have doors at one end.

Amfleet I:/monthly_2018_12/E529992C-F253-4B71-B46E-562F4F4F4260.thumb.jpeg.c5408021aeb4a4775d9df01c22455b88.jpeg

Amfleet II:/monthly_2018_12/BB91698A-5FC6-4067-8CF2-B66B0046B889.thumb.jpeg.973c036a02f5a97326465308ac0d2850.jpeg

Now here is the break down of all the trains running between NYP and WAS and the equipment they use (I am omitting any train that doesn’t serve WAS):

Amfleet II only: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, Crescent, Cardinal

Amfleet I only: Northeast Regional, Carolinian, Vermonter

Amfleet I and Amfleet II: Palmetto

Not Amfleet at all: Acela Express

Attachments

• E529992C-F253-4B71-B46E-562F4F4F4260.jpeg
    E529992C-F253-4B71-B46E-562F4F4F4260.jpeg
    157.9 KB · Views: 0
  • BB91698A-5FC6-4067-8CF2-B66B0046B889.jpeg
    BB91698A-5FC6-4067-8CF2-B66B0046B889.jpeg
    178.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited by a moderator:
I think the AM-1 are 72
Sorry, you’re right. Apparently they had 84 seats when they were first built, but then Amtrak had three rows removed, making it 72.

I think the AM-1 are 72

OP stated DC and Boston, that pretty much says AM-1, AM-1 BC, or Acela, barring a change of trains....
Argh, would have sworn they said between New York and D.C. So yeah, unless the OP gets lucky and happens to be on an NER with an AM-II (they do occasionally make an appearance on the Regionals), it is AM-I or Acela. :(

You are correct that the AM-IIs are much more comfortable than the AM-Is, with the main benefit being the seating. While each Amfleet I coach holds 80 passengers (which I would note still offers plenty of space), each Amfleet II holds only 60 passengers, which means that you get a tremendous amount of legroom - slightly more than you get in Amfleet I Business Class. The other benefits of the AM-IIs are that each seat has leg rests, window curtains, and significantly larger windows.
Comfort is subjective.  While this is a moot point since the OP is traveling to Boston, I find the AM-1s in their current form to be more comfortable. While the AM-2s have all of he traits listed above, the AM-1s were just refreshed. As such, I find the actual seats, with their new cushions to be more comfortable. 

For what it's worth, I was in row 19 (76 seats) aboard Amtrak #141 a week ago in the first car behind the cafe (not the quiet car) and had legroom almost comparable to business class!  Seat recline was restricted, however,  as it bumped into the bulkhead abutting the electrical cabinets.  Apparently, there's variations between the number of rows in each AM I car, probably depending upon where they were refurbed/got all new restrooms/made ADA compliant 10-15 years ago.  I should have checked if they had removed seats up front to accomodate wheelchair passengers.  My guess is that the car was an anomaly to the rest of the fleet. 

And being the last row, the ride was definitely a bit noisier from the truck bolster and a bit bouncier than the middle of the car.  Normally I wouldn't sit there, but my friend and I spent 30 minutes or so in the cafe enjoying our coffee and when we came back to our seats in the middle of that car (before New Haven), someone was sitting in his spot...he neglected to leave anything on the seat, so the seat check was the only evidence of his being there.  So we moved to vacant seats across the row from each other that we could each have to ourselves. Obviously, not everyone looks for seat checks when deciding where to sit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Comfort is subjective.  While this is a moot point since the OP is traveling to Boston, I find the AM-1s in their current form to be more comfortable. While the AM-2s have all of he traits listed above, the AM-1s were just refreshed. As such, I find the actual seats, with their new cushions to be more comfortable. 
True, but I expect that will change once the AM-II refresh you alluded to, happens...?

Back