Cruising (Ocean and River)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A great idea, if only Amtrak served Dayton, Ohio and had a more Southwest Ohio guest-friendly schedule from/to Cincinnati.
I understand. Living in the LA area the availability of train service is nice.

For the Snake/Columbia River cruise (the photo above) we took the Coast Starlight and Empire Builder LA to Spokane. The cruise ended in Vancouver, Washington not far from the Amtrak station there. Convenient for catching the southbound Coast Starlight.

I understand. Living in the LA area the availability of train service is nice.

For the Snake/Columbia River cruise (the photo above) we took the Coast Starlight and Empire Builder LA to Spokane. The cruise ended in Vancouver, Washington not far from the Amtrak station there. Convenient for catching the southbound Coast Starlight.
Living in the LA area, gives you a fair choice of cruises, from San Pedro, Long Beach, and San Diego.   And San Francisco is also "within driving (or train) range".   

The problem for those who do have the flexibility to take advantage of last minute cruises, is the often steep last minute air fares to reach them.

Other than overnight ferries with varying amenities, the only "cruise" I've taken was a trip on the Delta Lines passenger-freighter Santa Mariana in the  early 1980s.

It was a two-night trip from Tacoma to San Francisco.  Accommodations and meals were first rate!

I wish I could have traveled onward to Los Angeles---better yet to South America!

Last edited by a moderator:
Travelling by freighter, is a fascination for me, that so far I have not fulfilled.   From what I have read, it is getting harder and harder to find freighter's that will accommodate any passenger's, at least in this part of the world.  There are still some elsewhere, but even those are dwindling in number...

The problem for those who do have the flexibility to take advantage of last minute cruises, is the often steep last minute air fares to reach them.

Exactly!  What one might save on the cruise fare probably would be lost on the air fare.

I've taken was a trip on the Delta Lines passenger-freight Santa Mariana

Ah, yes!  The Santas of first Grace Lines and then Delta Lines!  I remember reading about them, seeing ads for them in travel related magazines, i.e. Holiday  and even requested  brochures from both Grace Lines and Delta Lines.  Alas, they went out of business before I had the opportunity to sail on them.

Travelling by freighter, is a fascination for me, that so far I have not fulfilled.   From what I have read, it is getting harder and harder to find freighter's that will accommodate any passenger's, at least in this part of the world.  There are still some elsewhere, but even those are dwindling in number...

Use a “travel agent” for freight service.

https://www.freightercruises.com/index.php

Never been on a cruise myself.  The closest port is only five or six hours away but it's a long boring drive with very little to see or do along the way.  I know people who love cruises but when I ask about the specifics it seems like there are a lot of arbitrary restrictions and numerous ways to inadvertently waste your money.  Sounds like each year the rules and packages change and you have to change with them.  When I was younger the main appeal of traveling was to visit distant cultures and locations with my own planning and preparation.  I still enjoy the outbound trip but those long haul flights and domestic connections back home have become a real nuisance to me.  Now that I'm getting older I'm wondering if something a little closer and less involved might be worth a look.

I imagine a cruise on a freighter is not going to be remotely as luxurious or comfortable as that of an actual cruise ship, right?

I imagine a cruise on a freighter is not going to be remotely as luxurious or comfortable as that of an actual cruise ship, right?
Absolutely...you pretty much have to provide your own 'entertainment', but for me, just observing a working freighter's operation, would be entertainment in itself.  Sometimes you will luck out and have interesting shipmates to converse with.

You sitll get a private room, and steward service, and the food can be excellent, but very limited in choice.

Absolutely...you pretty much have to provide your own 'entertainment', but for me, just observing a working freighter's operation, would be entertainment in itself.  Sometimes you will luck out and have interesting shipmates to converse with.

You sitll get a private room, and steward service, and the food can be excellent, but very limited in choice.
Is it cheaper than a standard cruise?

Is it cheaper than a standard cruise?
It used  to be a real bargain.  I am not sure now, however.

Another advantage of a trip on a freighter trip, as I understand it, is you get to know the crew well, are invited to participate in crew on board activities, i.e. parties. on deck BBQs, etc., and often there is an "open Bridge" policy where the passengers can visit the Bridge when they wish, expect when a Pilot is on-board.

A disadvantage to freighter travel now is that there are so many container ships.  There usually are fewer passengers aboard and they spend much less time in a port in comparison to freighter travel before containerization became so prevalent.  

There are actually a couple of companies that run combis, ships that are built to carry both a limited number of passengers and freight. Keep in mind that the ocean freight business has changed, the greatest percentage of non bulk (like oil or grain) cargo is moved on containerships, most of which are not geared for, nor have any interest, in carrying passengers. The opportunity to travel on a regular cargo ship still exists, but much less so than in the past. There are a number of good articles online describing both the experience, and the major differences versus conventional cruising. The obvious are destinations, trip duration, on board amenities, lack of a doctor on a ship carrying less than 12 passengers, limited entertainment and meal selection....

I am looking forward to my upcoming full transit Panama Canal cruise (from LA to Fort Lauderdale) on a passenger cruise ship.  I previously did a partial transit Panama Canal cruise and went through the Canal on an excursion on a "ferry."   There were plenty of container ships on the Canal.  I have no idea if any had passengers on board.

I am looking forward to my upcoming full transit Panama Canal cruise (from LA to Fort Lauderdale) on a passenger cruise ship.  I previously did a partial transit Panama Canal cruise and went through the Canal on an excursion on a "ferry."   There were plenty of container ships on the Canal.  I have no idea if any had passengers on board.

Having sailed the entire transit of the Panama Canal more than once, you are wise to do this.  One really cannot understand the massive undertaking that occurred in the early 20th Century to build the Canal without the full transit.

Between the Seas is a book that I strongly suggest you read before your cruise.  It supplies the historical perspective that, I think, will make your transit more meaningful.  Your ship will probably also have a commentator embarked just prior to starting the transit through the Canal.  Their commentary usually are worth one's attention.

Between the Seas is a book that I strongly suggest you read before your cruise.  It supplies the historical perspective that, I think, will make your transit more meaningful.  Your ship will probably also have a commentator embarked just prior to starting the transit through the Canal.  Their commentary usually are worth one's attention.
Thanks.  I checked out the audiobook from the library and have it uploaded to iTunes on my phone.  I plan to listen to it on the train on the way to LA (and on the ship if I have not finished it).

Having sailed the entire transit of the Panama Canal more than once, you are wise to do this.  One really cannot understand the massive undertaking that occurred in the early 20th Century to build the Canal without the full transit.

On my one and only transit through the Canal (USS Missouri 1986), my supervisor wanted me down in the engine room working and not up on deck (I wasn't on watch). Let's just say...I didn't get caught!

Back