30th street updates (lounge and food)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm pretty sure I saw a post on FB recently about there being new furniture in DC.  Must have happened right after you left Penny, because I wondered if you had seen it.

I was in the PHL lounge on Friday. It is no longer called "ClubAcela".. It is once again the Metropolitan Lounge. I had a conversation with Kim who is the morning attendant in the lounge who IMO is way better then Tad, and way more Friendly and outgoing as well. Her name is Kim. In past conversations with her I found out she worked in the CTEC office. 

Even she complained about the lack of luggage storage now. I want the old stuff back please.  

I was in the PHL lounge on Friday. It is no longer called "ClubAcela".. It is once again the Metropolitan Lounge. I had a conversation with Kim who is the morning attendant in the lounge who IMO is way better then Tad, and way more Friendly and outgoing as well. Her name is Kim. In past conversations with her I found out she worked in the CTEC office. 

Even she complained about the lack of luggage storage now. I want the old stuff back please.  
at one time, before they had cabinets, the attendants would store luggage behind the front desk.  I wonder if that will happen again.  I sort of doubt it.  

We were in the Club Acela in DC on Wednesday (14th) where we observed and used the new furniture.  The first chair I used had a vinyl or something similar covering and was slippery and not conducive to sitting without effort.  A second with a different shape and covering was fine and the third was better than the first and not as good as the second.  It did appear new and clean

The PHL furniture looks much worse than this.

I had a conversation with Kim who is the morning attendant in the lounge who IMO is way better then Tad, and way more Friendly and outgoing as well.  
That's 'cause you're a guy :p --I think Tad turns on the extra charm for us ladies :) .

(I did leave my suitcase and jacket with him when I went down to Saladworks, but there was hardly anyone in there, so there was room.)

That looks even more uncomfortable than the worlds' worst chairs in the general waiting area of WAS.  But 'easy clean' and zero armrest padding is the new norm, apparently.

So when I’m in PHL on Saturday, is there now even an option to leave my bag in the lounge as I explore the station?

So I guess all four ClubAcelas are turning into Met Lounges. That's a shame. I rather liked the name and look of ClubAcela. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
So when I’m in PHL on Saturday, is there now even an option to leave my bag in the lounge as I explore the station?
I would think so--just ask the attendant. They realize there is no closet space now, so I'm sure they will keep the bag at the desk for you. It just may not be out of sight, but they are right there, so it should be okay.

It may depend on the attendant.  Some make up their own rules.  My guess is Tad will permit you to leave your bag, but the attendant that was there one Friday afternoon in August may not.

It may depend on the attendant.  Some make up their own rules.  My guess is Tad will permit you to leave your bag, but the attendant that was there one Friday afternoon in August may not.
That's a good point, Penny. I think Tad is there both weekend mornings until about 1:30, but I am not completely sure about Saturday. So the poster could run into another attendant.

While re-reading this thread, it just occurred to me that the 'new' (3 year old?) lounge in Los Angeles does NOT have a baggage storage room.  Until this past April when I was last there, bags  were stored in a corner near the door and front desk.  This April, the conference room (as far from the door as possible and still be in the lounge) was appropriated for baggage storage.  I can't wait to see them attempt to wipe out the baggage storage area in the Chicago lounge!!

While re-reading this thread, it just occurred to me that the 'new' (3 year old?) lounge in Los Angeles does NOT have a baggage storage room.  Until this past April when I was last there, bags  were stored in a corner near the door and front desk.  This April, the conference room (as far from the door as possible and still be in the lounge) was appropriated for baggage storage.  I can't wait to see them attempt to wipe out the baggage storage area in the Chicago lounge!!
I was at LAX in Sept. They had the bags behind the desk. Guess it varies, or maybe depends on how much luggage there is. I was there early, so there were only a few other pieces when a put mine there.

The Philly Pretzel Factory has replaced Auntie Anne's. Pretty brutal.  At least you can get a real egg breakfast at Jersey Mike's sub.

The Philly Pretzel Factory has replaced Auntie Anne's. Pretty brutal.  At least you can get a real egg breakfast at Jersey Mike's sub.
I'm actually ok with the Pretzel Factory to an extent. They don't serve true Philly Soft Pretzels there though. Just things like twists etc. As for breakfast I get a bacon egg and cheese at Milkboy it's top notch! 

Speaking of Cinnamon Buns, the Cinnabon has closed. The spot remains vacant. There's a Nathan's there but it hasn't been opened the last few times I've passed through. I admit, it was around 10am but they used to serve breakfast.

Speaking of Cinnamon Buns, the Cinnabon has closed. The spot remains vacant. There's a Nathan's there but it hasn't been opened the last few times I've passed through. I admit, it was around 10am but they used to serve breakfast.
The Cinnabon has been closed for sometime. But I can say that it wasn't open very long. IIRC it was only there about 6 months. 

As for that Nathan's Hot Dogs. That place is an oddity to me. I haven't seen it open in a long time. And I'm going through during peak lunch and dinner hours. I want to guess that it's been closed. 

I'll be at the PHL lounge this weekend and will try to remember to sneak a few pics of the furniture. I was there on the 14th and found it to be character-less utilitarian "mod" furniture. Serviceable, but not something I would want to try to get overly comfy in for too long. 

I'll be at the PHL lounge this weekend and will try to remember to sneak a few pics of the furniture. I was there on the 14th and found it to be character-less utilitarian "mod" furniture. Serviceable, but not something I would want to try to get overly comfy in for too long. 
I look forward to seeing your pictures.    I hope that it is not 'character-less utilitarian "mod" furniture'  because that would be quite a downgrade.  :eek:

Back