Service disruption on 21 today (10/24) in Texas

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frequentflyer

Conductor
The Eagle is over 7 hours late and now service disruption. It used to be common for the TE to be 2 hours late at its worst. Now with its string of 4,5,6 hours or more lately, I am sure it will have an impact on bookings.

If TE does not make it to SAT, then the SL will have to continue without the TE's cars. Unless there are still a Superliner coach and sleeper still sitting on a side track in San Antonio for protection.

It looks like #21 is now 7+Hours Late leaving Marshall. Lately #21 has been running Late to Very Late thru Missouri,Arkansas and East Texas for various reasons, but usually can make up a Couple of Hours by the time it arrives into SAS.

A 3 Hour Late #21/#421 into SAS would result in #1 ( 245am Scheduled Departure)becoming Late to Very Late leaving for LAX after the Switching of the Cutout Cars from #21/#421 to #1.

Last edited by a moderator:
If TE does not make it to SAT, then the SL will have to continue without the TE's cars. Unless there are still a Superliner coach and sleeper still sitting on a side track in San Antonio for protection.
Do you have any new firsthand information on the protect cars being moved or abandoned? If not why do you continue to keep implying something has happened to them?

Delays were caused by track work and freight train congestion in the vicinity of TXA, which I'm assuming is Texakarna.

Even if there were an extra Superliner coach or sleeper in San Antonio, the passengers on #422 still wouldn't be on it. I guess people traveling exclusively west of San Antonio wouldn't be affected, but Eagle pax would still be screwed.

Do you have any new firsthand information on the protect cars being moved or abandoned? If not why do you continue to keep implying something has happened to them?
They used to sit by the old Southern Pacific Station, and the last time I was there a few months ago they were gone. More recent pics and videos of the area do not show them there.

Even if there were an extra Superliner coach or sleeper in San Antonio, the passengers on #422 still wouldn't be on it. I guess people traveling exclusively west of San Antonio wouldn't be affected, but Eagle pax would still be screwed.
They could be put on a bus to make the connection...

They used to sit by the old Southern Pacific Station, and the last time I was there a few months ago they were gone. More recent pics and videos of the area do not show them there.
The Superliner protect cars haven't sat next to the station in years. They now sit North of the station on separate siding that previously connected with the steam engine track. This location has been repaired and refurbished with new pavement and hotel power for just such a purpose. In the last few months I've personally witnessed the two protect cars ready and waiting around twenty separate times, the most recent example being earlier this week.

The Superliner protect cars haven't sat next to the station in years. They now sit North of the station on separate siding that previously connected with the steam engine track. This location has been repaired and refurbished with new pavement and hotel power for just such a purpose. In the last few months I've personally witnessed the two protect cars ready and waiting around twenty separate times, the most recent example being earlier this week.
Yes, between Center and Commerce. Good to know they are still there. Did not see them when I drove by there this summer.

Earlier Amtrak tweeted that there was a broken rail that needed to be repaired. Then we can all imagine the resulting freight congestion.

Also, aren’t the “protection” cars used every week on the days that only one SL comes through? Otherwise the NB TE wouldn’t have a sleeper or one of the coaches on the WB SL days.

Last night's #21/#421 Arrived into FT. Worth @ 945pm and will be turned to become today's (10/25) #22.

Passengers for Points South of FTW were Bustituted and Today's Passengers for #22 will be Bustituted to FTW from Stations between SAS and FTW.( Amtrak.com Showing "SOLD OUT for today)

No Information on the Status of the Thru Passengers between SAS and LAX on today's #1/#421 is Available.

Earlier Amtrak tweeted that there was a broken rail that needed to be repaired. Then we can all imagine the resulting freight congestion.

Also, aren’t the “protection” cars used every week on the days that only one SL comes through? Otherwise the NB TE wouldn’t have a sleeper or one of the coaches on the WB SL days.
Sorry, say that again? I'm a little confused about what you're asking.
default_smile.png

default_smile.png
Sorry, I guess that wasn’t very clear. I was just saying/verifying the “protection” equipment is actually used weekly. On Thursdays the TE arrives SAS and connects the sleeper and coach to the SL westbound. On those days there isn’t an eastbound SL to return the equipment for the next mornings TE. Then Friday the westbound SL comes in and the TE will have its full train arriving into SAS so no extra equipment is needed, so it’ll sit for 6 days unless it’s needed to cover a mechanical.

default_smile.png
Sorry, I guess that wasn’t very clear. I was just saying/verifying the “protection” equipment is actually used weekly. On Thursdays the TE arrives SAS and connects the sleeper and coach to the SL westbound. On those days there isn’t an eastbound SL to return the equipment for the next mornings TE. Then Friday the westbound SL comes in and the TE will have its full train arriving into SAS so no extra equipment is needed, so it’ll sit for 6 days unless it’s needed to cover a mechanical.
Ah, I see. Then yeah, that's correct.
default_smile.png

Last night's #21/#421 Arrived into FT. Worth @ 945pm and will be turned to become today's (10/25) #22.

Passengers for Points South of FTW were Bustituted and Today's Passengers for #22 will be Bustituted to FTW from Stations between SAS and FTW.( Amtrak.com Showing "SOLD OUT for today)

No Information on the Status of the Thru Passengers between SAS and LAX on today's #1/#421 is Available.
I have a friend who is now on 22, boarding in Dallas about 2 hours late. Apparently the bus from SAS to FTW was late.

Back