Galesburg to Springfield connection not working?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaulDobbs

Service Attendant
AU Supporting Member
I have been doing advanced planning for a trip next summer and seeing a problem. When I ask for a route from Salt Lake City to Fort Worth, the Amtrak web site can’t find one. The route I’ve used in the past (Salt Lake-train 6-Galesburg-bus-Springfield-train 21-Fort Worth) doesn’t show up, even though it still looks good on the schedules. What’s going on?

Since Amtrak manually enters all connections, there are times when the desired connection isn’t going to have been loaded. I would suggest calling the 1-800 number to ask if it can be added for you.

I just talked with AGR about a Winter trip from AUS-SPI on #22/ AmVan Thruway SPI-GBB/# 5 GBB-SAC/#14 SAC-SEA and the Connections are still Guaranteed per the Agent.

As was said Call Amtrak and get them to book this Routing,you can't do it On-Line.

Last edited by a moderator:
Similar situation here, the shuttle leaves daily and is timed to connect the TE to the SWC. So heres my situation at Christmas. Were leaving our car at Galesburg taking the the SWC to LAX. On way home were taking the SSL/TE Lax to SPI. The SPI GBB shuttle would have been perfect to get back to our car in GBB.

Amtrak wont sell it to us because were not connecting to the SWC and the shuttle company cant sell tickets as Amtrak charters all the seats on their van. Another lost revenue and customer service let down for Amtrak:( still looking forward to our 5 nights on the train.

Truth be told it turned out for the better. Enterprise will pick us up at SPI rent us a one way car rental for the 77 dollars tax included and the Enterpise is in the Amtrak parking lot in GBB. Im assuming its alot cheaper then the shuttle for 3 even though I couldnt even get a price quote.

I just talked with AGR about a Winter trip from AUS-SPI on #22/ AmVan Thruway SPI-GBB/# 5 GBB-SAC/#14 SAC-SEA and the Connections are still Guaranteed per the Agent.

As was said Call Amtrak and get them to book this Routing,you can't do it On-Line.
Is this a van connection or a bus? Asking out of curiosity.

Is this a van connection or a bus? Asking out of curiosity.
I took it with my parents in 2016. It's a van, and really that's all the capacity needed on this run at least to my limited experience.

Similar situation here, the shuttle leaves daily and is timed to connect the TE to the SWC. So heres my situation at Christmas. Were leaving our car at Galesburg taking the the SWC to LAX. On way home were taking the SSL/TE Lax to SPI. The SPI GBB shuttle would have been perfect to get back to our car in GBB.

Amtrak wont sell it to us because were not connecting to the SWC and the shuttle company cant sell tickets as Amtrak charters all the seats on their van. Another lost revenue and customer service let down for Amtrak:( still looking forward to our 5 nights on the train.

Truth be told it turned out for the better. Enterprise will pick us up at SPI rent us a one way car rental for the 77 dollars tax included and the Enterpise is in the Amtrak parking lot in GBB. Im assuming its alot cheaper then the shuttle for 3 even though I couldnt even get a price quote.
You do not need to connect to the SWC to take the SPI-GBB shuttle. You probably just hit another city pair that won't give you the option of taking the Thruway. You are just required to have a train on one or another end of the Thruway. Since you're taking the Texas Eagle to SPI, that is a legal connection. I just tried a dummy booking from FTW to GBB, and it puts you on the SPI-GBB Thruway. It looks like going from LAX, though, it wants you to take the SWC directly or take the CZ. There's another legal connection at Bloomington and you can take that bus to GBB, but that results in a longer layover in BNL. So if you really want the shuttle from SPI to GBB, you'd have to call or try the multi-city option.

The GBB - SPI connection is usually a van, but it can change, depending on the number of passengers booked. I rode it once in a limo when I was the only westbound passenger. The driver was the company president, and he told me that they also had a 50 passenger bus with a trailer for luggage that they used when lots of people were booked.

I just purchased tickets FTW to SLC and back for next July. According to the agent, Amtrak is not protecting the connection from train 6 to the bus at Galesburg, and the return had to be booked as two separate trips: SLC-GBB and GBB to FTW. Naturally, this makes it cost a lot more points.

The first agent I talked to was new. He asked me what state Salt Lake City is in.

I just purchased tickets FTW to SLC and back for next July. According to the agent, Amtrak is not protecting the connection from train 6 to the bus at Galesburg, and the return had to be booked as two separate trips: SLC-GBB and GBB to FTW. Naturally, this makes it cost a lot more points.
The first agent I talked to was new. He asked me what state Salt Lake City is in.
I guess your only other option is to spend a night in Chicago. Hopefully you'll make the connection. If not, hop a Lincoln Service train to STL and give me a holler.

Back