Westbound single-levels deadheading on the Builder

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NW cannonball

Conductor
From what I could find on here, probably going to California? I've seen one coach Wednesday here in MSP at Saint Anthony, and a coach and diner more than a week ago. In all cases the deadhead cars between the engines and the bag car had their interior lights on which made it difficult for my old eyes to tell the outside numbers and even the shape -- probably Horizons? A bit less tall than the Viewliner II bag car for sure.

Anybody know if they are refurbished on a time cycle or new additions to the San Joaquins or Surfliners?

Seems to me that if they're going to California, they'd be on #5 or #3; only because it's a more direct routing. The PNW doesn't use single-level equipment AFAIK. It's Talgo or Superliner country.

Washington and Oregon are presently using some Horizon cars since AMTRAK didn’t do sufficient training with their engineers and thus we are short one set of Talgos.

Amtrak did say they would replace the lost set, but I certainly won’t hold my breath waiting on that with the present CEO.

Washington and Oregon are presently using some Horizon cars since AMTRAK didn’t do sufficient training with their engineers and thus we are short one set of Talgos. Eighty in a thirty usually goes very bad.

Amtrak did say they would replace the lost set, but I certainly won’t hold my breath waiting on that with the present CEO.

Wouldn't it make more sense for the Cascades to just use some of the Superliners which are already on the west coast? Weren't they doing that up until a handful of months ago?

Wouldn't it make more sense for the Cascades to just use some of the Superliners which are already on the west coast? Weren't they doing that up until a handful of months ago?
Do we know the spare count of superliners on the west coast?

No, but they seemed to have enough earlier this year.
There were enough to fill in for a single set of talgo cars. There probably aren’t enough to add two round trips from Seattle to Portland for the holidays.

Last edited by a moderator:
One of the Vancouver, BC, trains is regularly switched out for Superliner equipment in the off-season, and it is apparently not running with Talgo equipment now because there isn't Business Class availability. I'll be in Bellingham next week, and will see the actual consist.

They swap the Superliners when Talgos need heavy maintenance on the 516-519 pair because that trainset is captive to Seattle-Vancouver and doesn't go through the rotation through the rest of the schedule that the other trainsets do. That way they can take rotate all the Talgos through major servicing without impacting the inventory of any other trains except 516-519.

The usual Superliner replacement consist is a coach/bag, a Sightseer Lounge (although one year they put in a Diner-Lounge), and a coach. Last year was a Sightseer.

The Portland-Seattle-Vancouver train 517-518 consists are part the schedule rotation, so pretty much always has Talgos.

I don't know which I like better. I like the Superliners for the views, especially when there is a Sightseer. It is a good route for that. But I like the Talgos too and I like Business Class.

The PNW doesn't use single-level equipment AFAIK. It's Talgo or Superliner country.

Not to be pedantic, but Talgos *are* single-level equipment. I'm sure you knew that, but just clarifying for those who might be unfamiliar with that equipment type. But yes, the typical Amtrak east coast/midwest single-level corridor fleet is not generally used in the PNW, with the exception outlined elsewhere in this thread.

I think Amtrak Cascades runs Holiday extra trains using Horizon cars, they have at least in the past
Perhaps, but that's more than a month away from now. Seems like a long time to have equipment sitting around gathering dust. The holiday extras haven't even been announced yet, and in the recent past have simply been one or two extra trains in either direction between PDX and SEA. Nothing worth gearing up for this early.

A slight possibility may be the Superliners are being prepared for the Thanksgiving - Christmas holidays ? Or maybe the Talgos being prepared for the same time frame ?

Washington and Oregon are presently using some Horizon cars since AMTRAK didn’t do sufficient training with their engineers and thus we are short one set of Talgos.

This has NOTHING to do with what is going on right now....both series 8s are out of service at the moment. Hopefully to be back in service within a few weeks.
Also, Amtrak is under contract to replace that trainset, so Anderson doesn't have much say in it.

WASDOT has supposedly been talking about it again this year, but I haven't heard anything certain.
I like the Superliner lounges, but these Horizons are horrid.

One of the Vancouver, BC, trains is regularly switched out for Superliner equipment in the off-season, and it is apparently not running with Talgo equipment now because there isn't Business Class availability. I'll be in Bellingham next week, and will see the actual consist.
Which brings me to confirm, there is one Horizon set (with a lone Amfleet I, and a Viewliner bag) currently running 516/519. There is also another all Horizon set running 511/513/508, PDX-EUG, with a train transfer to continue north on 508.

This has NOTHING to do with what is going on right now....both series 8s are out of service at the moment. Hopefully to be back in service within a few weeks.
Also, Amtrak is under contract to replace that trainset, so Anderson doesn't have much say in it.

WASDOT has supposedly been talking about it again this year, but I haven't heard anything certain.

Which brings me to confirm, there is one Horizon set (with a lone Amfleet I, and a Viewliner bag) currently running 516/519. There is also another all Horizon set running 511/513/508, PDX-EUG, with a train transfer to continue north on 508.
You think the Horizons are bad there? Imagine what we deal with in Michigan! We don’t usually get a lot of Amfleets out here, but the ones we do get are the refreshed versions. Horizons desperately need a tune up.

You think the Horizons are bad there? Imagine what we deal with in Michigan! We don’t usually get a lot of Amfleets out here, but the ones we do get are the refreshed versions. Horizons desperately need a tune up.
I'm just judging it based on the cafe workspace and set up. Over all from a passenger's perspective I still prefer Amfleets the most, but Horizons aren't terrible.
The Horizons definitely look tired, though.

So, three days ago. the deadhead car on the westbound EB was a superliner coach.

I didn't watch the last 2 days for personal reasons -- cold weather.

Getting back to the OP (me) --

Why so many Westbound non-revenue cars -- on the EB -- last few weeks?

Triley explained

I see no responses from the Pacific Northwest members -- two Horizon trainsets replace a crashed talgo -- what's going on out there -- yes I can read the online schedules.

Trying to get a clue about the Cascades next month or two -- any help?

Wanna commute SEA - PDX - OLY for a week or so.

How may schedules change nov-dec?

So, three days ago. the deadhead car on the westbound EB was a superliner coach.

I didn't watch the last 2 days for personal reasons -- cold weather.

Getting back to the OP (me) --

Why so many Westbound non-revenue cars -- on the EB -- last few weeks?

Triley explained

I see no responses from the Pacific Northwest members -- two Horizon trainsets replace a crashed talgo -- what's going on out there -- yes I can read the online schedules.Trying to get a clue about the Cascades next month or two -- any help?

Wanna commute SEA - PDX - OLY for a week or so.

How may schedules change nov-dec?
I work the Cascades service, so...you can take what I've said for truth. Last I heard both series 8s are expected back in service in able 2 weeks. Ticketing is selling business class tickets again as of 11/11, so we shall see.

Either way, service between Seattle, Portland, and Olympia wouldn't be affected by the current Horizon sets anyway, aside from the night that 508 will probably run with the Horizon set back to Seattle on the last night it's used.

Back