Newbie travelling on Silver line from FL to DC

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Forget McDonalds at WAS. Go downstairs to the fantastic food court!
This!
Are you guys being sarcastic?I've never tried it!
The food court downstairs has lots of options.
There’s also a Walgreens down there for the Pepto - JUST KIDDING about needing Pepto.
default_tongue.png

Is the food court on the same level as the main Metro (not platform) level? From what I'm seeing on the map it might be but does it have direct access from Metro to downstairs food court. Hate to have to drag luggage up another level and them come back down elevators with luggage - direct walk through would be nice.

Is the food court on the same level as the main Metro (not platform) level? From what I'm seeing on the map it might be but does it have direct access from Metro to downstairs food court. Hate to have to drag luggage up another level and them come back down elevators with luggage - direct walk through would be nice.
I'm not super familiar with WAS, but looking at the official layout, the food court is on the lowest level, below the "train concourse".

I'm not super familiar with WAS, but looking at the official layout, the food court is on the lowest level, below the "train concourse".
As it turns out, I 'discovered' the connection from the turnstile-level of the Metro to the food court after spending a night at the hotel 1 stop away on the red line.

I would take my luggage up the escalator and leave it in the Club Acela. Then I would explore the station unencumbered and look for something to eat and bring with you on the Silver Star.

Be aware that there are two exits to Union Station from the metro station. The exit at the north end of the station (where the elevators are located) will take you to the main level right next to the train gates and the club. The exit at the middle of the metro station will bring you directly to the food court level, but there are three or four steps to go up from the train mezzanine to the food court.

I'd stick with Penny's advice to leave your luggage in the club and go exploring.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would take my luggage up the escalator and leave it in the Club Acela. Then I would explore the station unencumbered and look for something to eat and bring with you on the Silver Star.
In my reconnoitering of WAS Union Station that I did in June in preparation for my December Silver Meteor journey, this is my suggestion as well. Union Station is a very interesting place with dining areas on the Mezzanine level as well as the lower level. People watching is fascinating, at least for me. And, if a shopper, there are some shops to explore as well.

Penny - thanks for that suggestion. That's definitely what I will do because I really do want to try and explore around the station. I didn't get to see much upon my arrival so hope to have more time going back.

Yes definitely store luggage and explore. A whole world of food at the station and food court on all levels. If Im taking the Star to Florida I tend to go to Johnny Rockets which is bad but very tasty for lunch.

I pick up a sandwich or salad for my dinner and dessert for the train. Also something for breakfast in my food container which may or may not go in my small cooler depending on my purchase. Going to West Palm Beach that only leaves me to grab something for lunch on the train which I keep very light as the train usually arrives in time to go out to a nice dinner with whoever is picking me up.

I believe there is also a Potbellys in the station (I have not discovered that one yet, but someone else here can point you to it, I'm sure). Several of us on AU really like their chocolate milkshakes, which are just the right size (not too big, not too little), delicious, and come with a cute little vanilla cookie wrapped around the straw
default_smile.png
. They also have healthy sandwiches to make you feel better about getting the milkshake
default_tongue.png

Forget McDonalds at WAS. Go downstairs to the fantastic food court!
This!
Are you guys being sarcastic?I've never tried it!
The food court downstairs has lots of options.
There’s also a Walgreens down there for the Pepto - JUST KIDDING about needing Pepto.
default_tongue.png
When I took Amtrak to WAS in January 2017, I went to the downstairs food court and ate lunch at Johnny Rockets.
default_smile.png

When I took Amtrak to WAS in January 2017, I went to the downstairs food court and ate lunch at Johnny Rockets.
default_smile.png
Yes definitely store luggage and explore. A whole world of food at the station and food court on all levels. If Im taking the Star to Florida I tend to go to Johnny Rockets which is bad but very tasty for lunch.

I pick up a sandwich or salad for my dinner and dessert for the train. Also something for breakfast in my food container which may or may not go in my small cooler depending on my purchase. Going to West Palm Beach that only leaves me to grab something for lunch on the train which I keep very light as the train usually arrives in time to go out to a nice dinner with whoever is picking me up.
What's so special about Johnny Rocket's???

I believe there is also a Potbellys in the station (I have not discovered that one yet, but someone else here can point you to it, I'm sure). Several of us on AU really like their chocolate milkshakes, which are just the right size (not too big, not too little), delicious, and come with a cute little vanilla cookie wrapped around the straw
default_smile.png
. They also have healthy sandwiches to make you feel better about getting the milkshake
default_tongue.png
Yep!

https://www.potbelly.com/stores/23372

default_smile.png
default_tongue.png
Yep!

Where is it located?

default_smile.png
default_tongue.png
Yep!

Where is it located?
It's on the Street Level (the middle floor) right next to the entrance to the Metro in the West Hall.

default_smile.png
default_tongue.png
Yep!

Where is it located?
It's on the Street Level (the middle floor) right next to the entrance to the Metro in the West Hall.
I'll give them a try this coming Monday. I'm expecting a 'bait and switch' for dinner on Acela 2172 like they did to me out of NYP 10 days ago, so I'd rather be 1/2 full when I board.

Until a couple months ago, my favorite place was a burger joint about the 'middle' of the food court in the basement, but they folded. I much preferred Flamers (burger joint) that was in that spot before them. I wonder what I'll find on Monday, maybe Potbellys will wait 'til I return in November.

default_smile.png

What's so special about Johnny Rocket's???
Its a good burger, fries and malt place with of course many burger options and many other menu items. If you are a burger and fries diner type person give it a try. You shouldn't be disappointed:)

Well, it's been a pretty slow ride home. The #91 seems to stop and sit more than I remember the #98 doing it. Maybe just some traffic or congestion on the line.

Did have a strange thing happen to my computer. Had it plugged in and charging, train slowed and stopped, lights dimmed and now my charger for the computer will not charge any longer. Hope there wasn't a surge or something in the line and it screwed up my charger 'cause I just replaced it acouple months ago. So once my battery dies in the laptop, it's really gonna be a long ride home with nothing to keep me occupied.

Well, it's been a pretty slow ride home. The #91 seems to stop and sit more than I remember the #98 doing it. Maybe just some traffic or congestion on the line.

Did have a strange thing happen to my computer. Had it plugged in and charging, train slowed and stopped, lights dimmed and now my charger for the computer will not charge any longer. Hope there wasn't a surge or something in the line and it screwed up my charger 'cause I just replaced it acouple months ago. So once my battery dies in the laptop, it's really gonna be a long ride home with nothing to keep me occupied.
That sucks. I recommend you ask around and see if anyone else is having a similar issue.

I was talking to the sleeping car attendant while we were outside during the Raleigh stop. He said sometimes things happen to the plugs so when he came back to make up my bed, we hooked everything up again and when I plugged it in, the outlet made a snapping noise. However, now my laptop is charging but I'm gonna take it off power, just to be safe. At least I know it's back working again. Whew!!

I was talking to the sleeping car attendant while we were outside during the Raleigh stop. He said sometimes things happen to the plugs so when he came back to make up my bed, we hooked everything up again and when I plugged it in, the outlet made a snapping noise. However, now my laptop is charging but I'm gonna take it off power, just to be safe. At least I know it's back working again. Whew!!
Thanks for the update. I am glad your laptop is working. I hope you enjoy the difference route on the way home. Years ago, I used to take the Star one way and the Meteor the other way, if it worked with connections and my schedule.

default_smile.png
default_tongue.png
Yep!

Even MSN.COM likes Potbelly grinders! https://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddrink/restaurantsandnews/we-tried-a-sub-from-4-sandwich-chains-%e2%80%94-and-the-winner-was-clear/ss-BBMfkCD?li=BBnb7Kz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back