New Canadian Schedule Effective 6/26

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am not familiar with the route...so they have to leave the mainline to go into and out of Charny as well?

If that is the case, isn't there some place along the mainline at its closest point to Quebec City where they could establish a station, to eliminate that move, as well?
With money from who or what? [emoji6]

I am not familiar with the route...so they have to leave the mainline to go into and out of Charny as well?

If that is the case, isn't there some place along the mainline at its closest point to Quebec City where they could establish a station, to eliminate that move, as well?
With money from who or what? [emoji6]
I don't have the answer to that...perhaps some of the time and expense for the current 'detour' over the bridge and back?

Even St Foy's platform isn't big enough for the Ocean. It's routinely a double spot. Or at least that's what they were doing when I ride the ocean this December.

Even St Foy's platform isn't big enough for the Ocean. It's routinely a double spot. Or at least that's what they were doing when I ride the ocean this December.
But at least you can double spot at a through station like St. Foy. It is kind of hard to do that at a terminal station like Palais.

But at least you can double spot at a through station like St. Foy. It is kind of hard to do that at a terminal station like Palais.
Exactly. I was just pointing that out for a factual basis that even its a flawed station in some regards. It's just less flawed.

Via's information posted on their website has apparently been both incorrect and inconsistent up until now. They have now posted both the current and the new schedule PDFs with the current schedule now posted as running through 7/25 and the new schedule starting 7/26, running through 10/7. What happens after 10/7?

However, the interactive schedule inquiry still shows the new schedule for all future departures, as it has from the start, although the booking engine is consistent with the PDFs. Via's rollout of this schedule on their website has been an absolute cluster. So 2 out 3 ain't bad?

They have found a way to make Amtrak's website look good.

True, was just looking at the heading. I looked at the schedule itself and it has the normal heading at the the top saying (following Via's odd custom of starting the week on Monday):

Oct 8, 2018 - April 27, 2019 1234567

Days

April 29, 2018 - Oct 7, 2018 1234567

Apparently they couldn't be bothered with putting the actual start date on the new schedule, just left the date from the old schedule. They've been quite sloppy and unprofessional on this whole thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
One further update, last evening's Train 2 left Vancouver at 20:35 (scheduled at 20:30), not noon, yet interestingly enough, most of the current trains are running reasonably close to schedule today. Yes, VIA's admin leaves a LOT to be desired.

One further update, last evening's Train 2 left Vancouver at 20:35 (scheduled at 20:30), not noon, yet interestingly enough, most of the current trains are running reasonably close to schedule today. Yes, VIA's admin leaves a LOT to be desired.
Welcome to AU!
default_smile.png

Welcome to AU!
default_smile.png
At first glance, it looks like he just joined, but has actually been a member since last August.

VIA RAIL MODIFIES THE SCHEDULE OF THE CANADIAN BETWEEN TORONTO AND VANCOUVER
Friday, June 22nd 2018
MONTREAL, June 22 2018 – Effective July 26, 2018, the schedule of the Canadian, VIA Rail Canada’s (VIA Rail) train, which travels between Toronto and Vancouver, will be modified. This important mid-season modification was necessary in order to address significant and recurring delays in recent months, and provide passengers a more predictable route, both at departure and on arrival. This change also takes into account the opportunity for passengers to see the changing Canadian landscape during the daylight hours.

Since the beginning of peak season in April, the Canadian has been subject to major delays that eventually forced the exceptional cancellation of two trips in May. This situation confirmed the necessity for VIA Rail and CN, the owner of the infrastructure, to revise the schedule. In addition, CN has begun significant work to increase the capacity of its infrastructure in Western Canada, which will improve the flow of its freight and VIA Rail passenger trains. The introduction of the new schedule was also guided by the desire to ensure that the trains pass at the best time of day for travellers to appreciate the beauty of the landscape.

“We hope that with the new schedule, as well as the important infrastructure investments by our partner CN, our travellers will experience a more predictable service, both at departure and on arrival, and a better opportunity to appreciate the greatness and beauty of our country at daylight. We appreciate CN’s support in improving the travel experience of thousands of Canadians and international tourists who, every summer, experience the trip of a lifetime by choosing to discover the vastness of Canada through a trip by rail. Just as importantly, this change will increase the reliability of schedules as sought by the various communities served along the route,” declared Yves Desjardins-Siciliano, President and Chief Executive Officer at VIA Rail.

“We continue to work closely with VIA Rail to provide their passengers with a more predictable and reliable travel experience,” said JJ Ruest, interim president and chief executive officer. “We are investing $400 million in new capacity on the busy corridors across Western Canada, used by VIA’s Canadian and the many freight trains carrying goods vital to moving our nation’s economy, to provide safe and efficient rail service.”

The modified schedules will come into effect on July 26 for train #1 from Toronto and July 27 for train #2 from Vancouver. The number of weekly departures remains the same.

Westbound schedule (train #1) as of July 26 | Departs Tuesdays, Thursdays* and Saturdays

Departs Toronto: 10PM

Arrives in Winnipeg: 8AM / Departs at 10AM

Arrives in Saskatoon: 11:20PM

Arrives in Edmonton: 8:22AM / Departs at 9:37AM

Arrives in Jasper: 4PM / Departs at 7:30PM

Arrives in Vancouver: 6PM (instead of 9:42AM) + 4 days

Eastbound schedule (train #2) as of July 27 | Departs Tuesdays, Fridays and Sundays*

Departs Vancouver: 12PM

Arrives in Jasper: 8AM / Departs at 10AM

Arrives in Edmonton: 4:20PM / Departs at 5:19PM

Arrives in Saskatoon: 4:40AM

Arrives in Winnipeg: 7PM / Departs at 10:30PM

Arrives in Toronto: 2PM (instead of 9:30AM) + 4 days

* In high season only, from May to October

VIA Rail is in communication with the ticket holders for departures as of July 26th. For more information, travellers are invited to contact a sales representative by phone, by dialing 1 888 VIA-RAIL (1 888 842-7245) or 1 800 268-9503 (TTY for deaf or hard of hearing).

Source: https://www.viarail....hedule-canadian

Comment: Plus nine hours going west, plus 12 hours going east by my reckoning.

The first #1 on the new schedule arrived ontime in Vancouver last evening (July 30). It was reported that the arrival actually delayed the departure of Amtrak's Cascade as the Canadian was so long it had to be split in two and backed into the station...blocking the Cascade's track.

At this rate in a year or two they will be taking full 7 days to make it from Toronto to Vancouver.
default_ph34r.png
Hmmm....perhaps they will charge fares by the night, like a hotel, instead of by the mile....
default_tongue.png
Considering what VIA charges for Sleeper Plus and especially Prestige, the nightly rate would be orders of magnitude higher than probably any hotel in the country.

At this rate in a year or two they will be taking full 7 days to make it from Toronto to Vancouver.
default_ph34r.png
Hmmm....perhaps they will charge fares by the night, like a hotel, instead of by the mile....
default_tongue.png
Considering what VIA charges for Sleeper Plus and especially Prestige, the nightly rate would be orders of magnitude higher than probably any hotel in the country.
If you look for discounted fares, the special fares (formerly Tuesday specials but now available for Sleeper Plus all the time) between selected points roughly 4-8 weeks before departure, and shoulder and off-season rates and the exchange rate, you can make it for not a lot more than Amtrak.

My next trip will be just under $1400 USD in an off season fare in November for a roomette Vancouver-Toronto. It isn't a discounted fare either, some tour operator scooped up too much capacity and there is no inventory in discount left. If I was able to get the discount fare, it would have been closer to $1200 USD.

Those prices are in the same rough ballpark as Amtrak is for 4 nights in a roomette. Just don't go in the summer. The train is better ride in the off season anyway, when it isn't 26 cars long and mobbed.

Prestige is a whole different matter. Personally I won't pay like $5000 extra for free booze and hors d'oeuvres (actually more for me since I travel by myself and the Prestige fares are only double occupancy, so it would be more like $11,000 extra). That's an awful lot of booze in 4 days to make up $11,000.

So the Canadian has now been converted almost wholly to a tourist operation with ever diminishing core transportation purpose.
That, and Greyhound Canada abandoning all its routes west of Ontario on October 31st, will mean for many....fly or drive. (A hodgepodge of local bus carrier's have applied to replace them on the most lucrative routes).

The Winnipeg westbound departure is at 3:45 AM.

...doesn't look like I'll be riding the Canadian again anytime soon. That's just sad that they're relegating the timetable that much to sightseeing instead of trying to have some semblance of basic transportation.
What time did it depart Winnipeg before?

[SIZE=10.5pt]Current scheduled departure from Winnipeg 10:00am (previously 11:45am).[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]I have just received new boarding pass from Via for a Sunday 2pm departure from Toronto next June (was originally booked on a Saturday 10pm departure). Now getting into Vancouver 1 day later than planned and I have to arrange an extra night's hotel in Toronto after my already booked flight in from the UK and cancel 1 night of my Vancouver hotel booking.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]I thought I had covered all the bases by giving myself more "dwell" time in Vancouver next year following my somewhat troublesome holiday on Via and Amtrak this year (see my July 2018 comments against the thread I started in January this year headed “Very late running of Via’s Canadian”).[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]I didn’t see this sort of change coming (and presumably the Via rep whom I emailed prior to making my online booking had no inkling of this change).[/SIZE]

Take a look! The westbound 1 has been many hours late the past week or so! The new schedule doesn't seem to be helping on some runs that much.

https://reservia.viarail.ca/tsi/GetTrainStatus.aspx?l=en&TsiCCode=VIA&TsiTrainNumber=1-&TrainInstanceDate=2018-10-05

https://reservia.viarail.ca/tsi/GetTrainStatus.aspx?l=en&TsiCCode=VIA&TsiTrainNumber=1-&TrainInstanceDate=2018-10-02

https://reservia.viarail.ca/tsi/GetTrainStatus.aspx?l=en&TsiCCode=VIA&TsiTrainNumber=1-&TrainInstanceDate=2018-09-30

1. Originating Toronto on Oct 2 is currently 13.5 hours late in Alberta. As far I see, this is the latest of the trains in the past week.

2. Originating Toronto on Sept 29 arrived Vancouver 8:45 late, even with all the padding

3. Originating Toronto on Sept 27 arrived Vancouver 4.5 hours late. Delays mostly occurred in Alberta.

This seems to be just starting recently, but I fear another cycle of "Oh, let's lengthen the schedule again" after having done that a few times already by significant amounts. Combined that with the horribler schedule coming up, this just might be the last straw for the Canadian. Or at least among the last few straws. As long distance trains are in the Americas.

Back