Drugs moving by Amtrak - Southwest Chief? Texas Eagle?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When anyone buys an Amtrak ticket you provide government with your ID and much of your personal info. With that they can easily do an FBI background check, find out where are traveling, where you have traveled, for how long ,how many times etc etc. The credit card you use gives a history of your buying habits..Amtrak also asks that passengers keep their eyes open.. Add in the sniffing dogs for contraband and its a tight security system. Point is that government has a profile and statistics on Amtrak passengers and its easy to catch anyone predisposed to criminal activity.
Being "predisposed to criminal actiivity," or being considered so by police, is not in and of itself a crime. Nor does it suspend one's legal right to move freely about the country unhindered by unreasonable search and seizure.

Perhaps I've just put myself on a watch list.
default_mad.gif
Perhaps predisposed or profile was an incorrect way to describe it but I only observe and do not define the security process. I do agree with you on the implication of your statement that it is imperative for government to respect the constitutional and civil rights of all but does it work that way? Have you taken an airline flight of late? The TCA (government) treats everyone like a criminal at the airport. This is why we have not flown in 15 years. We refuse to be treated that way.

It seems like a self-fulfilling prophecy that if they only search men who are traveling alone, then of course everybody they catch will fit that profile. That reinforces the perceived need to target that group. I don't really see how gender profiling can be acceptable when racial profiling is illegal.

It seems like a self-fulfilling prophecy that if they only search men who are traveling alone, then of course everybody they catch will fit that profile. That reinforces the perceived need to target that group. I don't really see how gender profiling can be acceptable when racial profiling is illegal.
It's illegal. They do unfortunately target women travelling alone too, though. :-(

Unfortunately there is no law against harassing people who buy one-way tickets. Should be.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's illegal. They do unfortunately target women travelling alone too, though. :-(

Unfortunately there is no law against harassing people who buy one-way tickets. Should be.
Especially considering that it might not *exactly* be one way, but might be :"open jaw" travel on different carriers. I could fly one segment, take the train for the next, and the bus for another, rent a car for another, and then be back to my origin by going "round the country."

Not fair if I'm hassled because it's not a direct round trip.
default_angry.png

Back