Overnight from San Antonio to Houston & return (where to stay)?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jet Peddler

Train Attendant
I'd like to ride Amtrak from San Antonio to Houston and back in the next month or so. Problem is I have to spend the night in Houston as the train doesn't go back and forth in the same day.

Any advice on where to stay and what to do inexpensively while there? Anything of interest around the Amtrak station?

Thanks in advance.

If you're up to walking 0.5-0.6 miles at each end, you can consider the Houston International Hostel. You would walk 0.6 miles (about 15 minutes) from the Amtrak station to the MetroRail station at Preston, take the light rail south towards the Medical Center, and then the hostel is about a ten minute walk from the Museum District station. I've never stayed there, but it looks hard to beat the price.

The Museum District is chock-full of attractions within walking distance of the hostel. At the Amtrak station end there's not so much, but Landry's Downtown Aquarium (and restaurant) is just three blocks from the station and has amusements, rides, the aforementioned aquarium, and some very good if quite pricy food.

The OTOL fest was there in July. Many of us stayed at the Doubletree Hotel, taking an Uber to get there from the Amtrak station. During the day, we rode Houston MetroRail.

The last time I did this I rode all the way to New Orleans and back. It was a nice enough trip but we got in several hours late and that sapped my energy levels. The scenery is also a lot less interesting than heading West or North (IMO). Houston is so spread out you not only need a car you also need a lot of time to get around. Or at least that has been my experience across several visits. In the past I've considered using Amtrak to reach long haul flights and basketball games but the schedule, timekeeping, and location are just too impractical for that sort of thing. If I was on another joyride I might consider a Lake Charles turn over Houston, but that's just me.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Club Quarters @720 Fannin Downtown is Nice( I've stayed there Several times) and around $100 a Night.( Good,Price for Downtown Houston Hotels)

Close to the Light Rail Line, Minute Maid Park(Astros),Theater District,Toyota Center(Rockets,Concerts etc),the,Montrose Entertainment District etc.Plenty of Clubs and eating joints around too!

I can't comment on the Hostel but have stayed in them all over and they're usually great deals!

Back