Guess who's coming to dinner?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Recently I had the displeasure of sharing a table with a racist ignorant woman who would not shut up. Usually I enjoy interacting with my tablemates from all walks of life.
Fortunately I have never been seated with a racist loudmouth, but last year on the Meteor we noticed the guy in the table across from us had a t-shirt covered in swastikas. I pity the other people at that table...
The guy wearing a red MAGA hat two years ago wasn't much better. Loudish single issue dining companion for sure.
I've only been on I think seven LD trains since that "thing" announced his candidacy, but I've seen way way way too many MAGA hats onboard.
default_mad.gif
Well, I wouldn’t suggest saying that in the rural parts of Montana...
A check of the county level voting should demonstrate the areas where I wouldn’t suggest expressing that opinion...
I'm not going to go around saying this in the south, but I'm a bit sick of people on Amtrak wearing MAGA hats who won't shut up about it.

On my most recent EB trip from Seattle, I met a North Dakota oil field worker returning to his job from his home in Eastern Washington. He willingly answered my questions about his job during our dinner and provided a perspective on those who do such work that I never considered. Bottom line: certainly very good money, but the work is demanding and pressure-packed and their time off work and at home is reduced considerably by having to travel to/from their jobs.

Most unusual fellow diner was a woman who was traveling alone, but whose trip had been planned where her Mother would be her traveling companion. Before the trip could take place, her Mother passed. She decided to do the trip anyway. But, throughout two meals with her, the woman kept referring to "how much my Mother is enjoying the trip" and kept speaking as if her Mother was sitting next to her at our Dining Car table.

I have met many others in the Lounge and Dining Cars from many areas of the world, usually the English-speaking countries. And, some have been very well traveled folks with stories that we shared.

I also "acquired" on a trip on the Cardinal from Cincinnati to Chicago in the Sleeper, a gentleman who wanted to be my "new best friend". (This started while we waited for a late Cardinal at Union Terminal.) Knocked on my Roomette door soon after we had departed Cincinnati, wanting to talk; found myself sharing my breakfast table with him; and again another visit or two before arrival in Chicago. I was "dismayed" to learn that we were both connecting with the CZ. Fortunately, I was wise enough not to truthfully tell him, when he asked, my Sleeper Car Number and my Roomette Number--"I forget, I said." Every time I went to the SSL and to the Diner, I wondered if "my new best friend" would be there. But, he wasn't. Maybe he missed the train or de-trained somewhere after Chicago? While being overly friendly, I have come to believe he was just lonely.

I'm not going to go around saying this in the south, but I'm a bit sick of people on Amtrak wearing MAGA hats who won't shut up about it.
LOL Get ready for 2020 or start DRIVING! MAGA - Keep saving America in 2020.

Last edited by a moderator:
Penny, JIS, Eric, RIP, Alan, RIP, Chris, several other AU'ers. Siemens employees, VPs of Amtrak, a few, very few, obnoxious-know-it-all-and-want-make-sure-you-know-they-know-it-all foamers, a couple of racists, drug dealers, Eagle Scouts, nice families. I hate the fact that the bag-dining will change that, and people will opt for an empty table, rather than sitting with a stranger. Not me, if you see me in the "diner" on the Cap or LSL, join me!

I have met many fascinating people in the diner over the years. One of the most fascinating was a young woman who was currently living in and working in a restaurant in Peru. She was from all over, really, as her parents, very much well off, owned a yacht and lived all over the world. She was reroute to New York to visit them, as that's where their yacht was anchored at the time. One of the more unusual was a scientist of some sort (I don't remember which field as it was 14 years ago) who lived in a town very close to where I grew up. She gave me a blank look when I mentioned the town in question and told me she'd never heard of it! The two towns are close enough that the public school districts border on each other. My town is to the south of the other, and she said she didn't get that way too often. Obviously!!!

The worst, by far, was a lady my uncle and I sat with at breakfast on the Coast Starlight. She came storming in to the diner, furious that they hadn't made the first call for breakfast at 7am. It was, I kid you not, 7:02 am. And she was furious that we were three hours late. This was due to all rail traffic having been halted in the Bay Area, following the discovery of a body on the tracks and the subsequent investigation. That explanation did not mollify her one bit. Because my uncle and I were wearing railroad apparel she thought we worked for Amtrak. And refused to believe me when I told her I was a stocking clerk/janitor at a grocery store. My scintillating occupation ranks approximately 11,842nd in the list of exciting careers, running only slightly ahead of Maytag repairmen. So I think I'd have found a better occupation to lie about than that. But, nope, I was lying and she was an attorney and she was reporting me to Amtrak. So there!! She droned on and on about how rotten Amtrak was...and on....and how rotten the service was....and on....to the point my....and on...uncle, not the most diplomatic....and on.....person to begin....and on...with, suggested that if...and on...she was so unhappy....and on....with Amtrak, maybe....and on....she should just....and on....get off at....and on...the next stop...and on. At that point, she was so furious that Amtrak was going to be sued....and on....and I was going to be fired by Amtrak...and on. She got off in a huff... and on....and demanded to sit by herself. Good riddance!!!....and on.

Penny, JIS, Eric, RIP, Alan, RIP, Chris, several other AU'ers. Siemens employees, VPs of Amtrak, a few, very few, obnoxious-know-it-all-and-want-make-sure-you-know-they-know-it-all foamers, a couple of racists, drug dealers, Eagle Scouts, nice families. I hate the fact that the bag-dining will change that, and people will opt for an empty table, rather than sitting with a stranger. Not me, if you see me in the "diner" on the Cap or LSL, join me!

I imagine that people will be encouraged to sit with strangers. Really no different than sharing a table or other seating next to strangers in a SSL. In fact if someone thinks he or she is going to get a four-top table as a solo that's not likely to happen.

We've come to learn ways to deal with pax in a SSL who stack up everything they own in a vacant seat, or claim to be saving a seat, to have it all to themselves. The diner/lounge should be no different.

We were on the Silver Meteor on our way to FLL when we were seated with a couple, about our age. We soon discovered that we were on our way to the same HAL cruise. Great conversation about cruising and train travel when the couple across the aisle from us joined in the conversation as they too were on their way to a cruise. We've met many fellow cruisers on our Silver trips. Lots of happy faces eager to share their trips.

Didn't Amtrak, or was it Carnival, at one time have some sort of promotion, that if you took Amtrak to your Carnival cruise, there was some sort of discount?

Another time we were seated with an Amtrak exec.

When we told him we ride the silvers, as well as shorter Amtrak trips quite often, he questioned us very extensively about our feelings and experiences on Amtrak. I can say that the dining crew was very happy to see him.

Likely the most memorable for wrong reasons occurred during July 1968 a board SP #9, Cascade, from Fairfield to Oakland.

I had just completed my "one year all expenses paid grand tour of a small country in Asia" and had been cleared to be on my way from KSUU by about 630A. Only having a one yo SP Timetable, I couldn't be sure if it was still an "on day" (tri-wkly) and if it was anything resembling on time.

A nice cab driver took me to the station, and still in uniform, bought a ticket and boarded the on time Cascade. It still had a three unit Cascade Club in consist, and not having any real food in two sunrises, headed for the Diner.

Soon this "fiftysomething" gal sat down. She's telling me how her Son split to Canada and if I wasn't such a coward I would have done same. And so it went on about killing babies (indirectly I'm sure I was party to some killed) and whatever.

And so it went; next leg to Ogden on #102, City, and a quick peek at Hill AFB (next DY station). I fell asleep (now in civvies) somewhere around Auburn and didn't wake until opening the shade over Great Salt Lake.

Likely the most memorable for wrong reasons occurred during July 1968 a board SP #9, Cascade, from Fairfield to Oakland.

I had just completed my "one year all expenses paid grand tour of a small country in Asia" and had been cleared to be on my way from KSUU by about 630A. Only having a one yo SP Timetable, I couldn't be sure if it was still an "on day" (tri-wkly) and if it was anything resembling on time.

A nice cab driver took me to the station, and still in uniform, bought a ticket and boarded the on time Cascade. It still had a three unit Cascade Club in consist, and not having any real food in two sunrises, headed for the Diner.

Soon this "fiftysomething" gal sat down. She's telling me how her Son split to Canada and if I wasn't such a coward I would have done same. And so it went on about killing babies (indirectly I'm sure I was party to some killed) and whatever.

And so it went; next leg to Ogden on #102, City, and a quick peek at Hill AFB (next DY station). I fell asleep (now in civvies) somewhere around Auburn and didn't wake until opening the shade over Great Salt Lake.
Thanks for your service!
I flew back from sf after being being transported from Travis following my all expense paid SE Asia tour. We were told to change to civies as soon as we got to the airport but still had to endure harassment from the bus to the restroom!

Please remember those who are right now serving, many in not so pleasant places, so that we may have the freedom to exercise our rights.

Last edited by a moderator:
A semi professional wrestler from Chicago on his way to St Louis for a match.

Don't know if this counts, but during my only dining experience (so far) on the Silver Meteor in July 2017, I met a really nice retired couple during breakfast. They reminded me of my aunt and uncle (one of my mom's older sisters and her husband). They had boarded the train in Charleston and were going to Miami. I had boarded in Richmond and was going to Orlando.

We had a nice conversation about different things.
default_smile.png

Lots of interesting people. Even a very nice couple from California who invited me to stay one night at their lovely home! And I still correspond with an Assistant Professor of Anthropology from Baltimore. I had a few beers and coffee with her in Chicago. Lovely woman! Lots of Amish people as well, which is a little bit 'exotic' for me as a European traveler. But always very nice encounters with the Amish. "You get a real feeling of this country and the people in it when you're on a train." Harry S. Truman.

"You get a real feeling of this country and the people in it when you're on a train." Harry S. Truman.
Somewhat off topic, but we should note, Harry S Truman was the last Former President we have had that did not "cash in", or least to any measurable step, after leaving office.
We also should note that he was the final Former President to leave Washington by rail (Jan 1953) after his successor (Ike) was sworn in.

The New York Times reported that he left on the B&O National Limited for St. Louis - and in line space at that!! They further reported that he got off to walk around at several service stops to mingle.

Continuing on to Independence, the MP made a Business Car (PV in currentspeak) available to his party.

We visited President Carter's home town in Georgia a while back, Rosie wanted to visit the house where he was born.

The tiny home reminded us of where Elvis was born, very very modest. His current/then home nearby also looks pretty modest for a former president, it almost looked like the security installations had dwarfed where he lived.

We visited President Carter's home town in Georgia a while back, Rosie wanted to visit the house where he was born.

The tiny home reminded us of where Elvis was born, very very modest. His current/then home nearby also looks pretty modest for a former president, it almost looked like the security installations had dwarfed where he lived.
You can actually take a train from the interstate at Cordelle to his boyhood farm on weekends.

I have visited Plains, GA as well and I found it to be an interesting experience regardless of one's political affiliations and opinions of the Presidency of Jimmy Carter. An eye-opening view for me was the need of a Secret Service booth outside the entrance to President Carter's home.

He and Rosalyn are still helping to build houses in their 90s. Live very modestly. Every now and then he surprises us with a political opinion, often right on mark.

Back