Lake Shore returns to normal operation

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any time I've been on a Lake that joined sections, the Boston unit(s) did do the Chicago run. I know Albany is "home" for the DM's, and a good amount of their work is done there, I don't know what P42 stuff happens there.

Heck, the LSL New York section in its full size (including Slumbercoach and all) was pulled by a single FL-9 too. That was all of 1800HP and 89mph max speed.

Just to give you some idea of what is possible day in and day out for operation at 80mph. in India the EMD WDP4 Class Diesel routinely a single unit powers 24 (75' car) car trains, which would be like 21 85' cars. And this is not even over flat track profile.
Kind of like this?

http://discuss.amtraktrains.com/index.php?/topic/73530-steam-locomotives-and-a-trans-continental/page-2&do=findComment&comment=772236

2 F40-3's pulling 26 cars over the Rockies?

Last edited by a moderator:
Any time I've been on a Lake that joined sections, the Boston unit(s) did do the Chicago run. I know Albany is "home" for the DM's, and a good amount of their work is done there, I don't know what P42 stuff happens there.
In the older monthly reports, there was a section from the CMO regarding locomotive projects; as I recall Albany did a fair amount of accessory work (cooling, electrical, etc) but no major engine rebuild or repair.

448 & 449 can run with whatever is needed to move for power. One, two, three, or four P42s are not unheard of as that is the way power is ferried for Boston, New Haven, and Maine. 100, 101, 103-111 have been assigned to Albany as their backshop for a long time. One in that series is there now receiving a main engine change. So its normal for the 48/49 power to run through on 448/449, and its also very normal for all kinds of combinations of P42s on and off in Albany.

In other LSL news... The eastbound LSL of the 5th magically time traveled to the future.. And departed SOB at 5:02am.. It's currently a little after 2:30am eastern time..
default_laugh.png

Now THAT'S high speed rail!
default_laugh.png

http://dixielandsoftware.net/cgi-bin/gettrain.pl?seltrain=48&selyear=2018&selmonth=09&selday=05

I am taking the LSL Boston-Erie next week in business class and was just curious about how it works. What is the typical location of the BC/Split cafe car in the consist? Also any trouble with the soft drinks, as in will you be cut off?

The split business/cafe car will be located next to the Boston sleeper, meaning it will be the the third car from the front of the train. As to how many drinks they'll let you have, that usually depends on the crew, but I imagine they won't give you a hard time if you don't go crazy on 'em.

On 448 the other day, they said we were entitled to unlimited non-alcoholic drinks and one free alcoholic drink. They also gave out an amenity kit, I left it in the plastic bag so I'm not sure what is in it. I recommend staying alert for the first boarding call since if you are one of the first 6 BC passengers to board, you can get yourself one of the single seats on the right side of the car.

On 448 the other day, they said we were entitled to unlimited non-alcoholic drinks and one free alcoholic drink. They also gave out an amenity kit, I left it in the plastic bag so I'm not sure what is in it. I recommend staying alert for the first boarding call since if you are one of the first 6 BC passengers to board, you can get yourself one of the single seats on the right side of the car.
Thanks so very much for the information all, I really appreciate it!

Units 100-111 are known as "Yankee Units" they are held captive mostly to NHV-SPG as well as the ALB services. They'll sneak out to Chicago here and there. But that's about it.
That should be "Red Sox" units
default_smile.png
Go Nation!
default_smile.png

The amenity kit was at a guess one of the passenger comfort kits.

If you want to be sure you get a single seat, get a Red Cap in Boston. They'll get you on board long before the general boarding call.

If you want to be sure you get a single seat, get a Red Cap in Boston. They'll get you on board long before the general boarding call.
Yes, that is what they called it. I opened it out of curiosity today and found a small blanket, inflatable neck pillow, sleep mask and earplugs which came in a small drawstring bag. We also got treated to overhearing some loud phone calls which seemed designed to announce to the whole car that the speaker is, in fact, a a titan of business
default_smile.png

Yes, that is what they called it. I opened it out of curiosity today and found a small blanket, inflatable neck pillow, sleep mask and earplugs which came in a small drawstring bag. We also got treated to overhearing some loud phone calls which seemed designed to announce to the whole car that the speaker is, in fact, a a titan of business
default_smile.png
Hmm. I didn't know that they ever gave out those comfort kits for free to any passengers. I thought you were saying that you had gotten one of the new sleeper amenity kits at first, which might make sense, but not those comfort kits.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back