Amtrak Siemens Charger locomotive (SC44, ALC42, ALC42E) (2015 - 1Q 2024)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Camden line is very, very different than the Penn line. Penn Line ridership is roughly 4x the Camden line. More frequent service. All day service, longer trains.
Yeah. You just have to watch Penn line videos to know it is a different world. You probably don’t see the GP40WH-2 on the Penn line except in a dire emergency.

Supposedly, it is only around for work and rescue duty, but we all know never say never......
I saw it as the lead locomotive on what seemed to be a scheduled Camden Line train on May 10th ahead of an MP36 with multilevel cars. Possibly officially a “rescue.” I’ve got a blurry picture to remind me.

Per TRAINS, July 2018:

The Michigan Services (specifically Wolverine and Blue Water) won’t be seeing the Charger soon. Delays in coordinating Siemens’ and Wabtec’s PTC software have prevented tests from being done. Once the component needed is installed, tests can begin. This means that P42s will be on MI services for the foreseeable future with replacement dates no earlier than Fall 2018.

Additionally, delays have jammed up the Lincoln Service as well, restraining the service to 79 MPH due to the fact that the Chargers were delivered with PTC screens but not cab signals. After trackwork along the line is completed and the new PTC-compliant system is up and running, 110 MPH should return to the service.

Last edited by a moderator:
The HSP46 doesn't meet Tier 4 standards. Assuming MPI responds to the RFP they would probably offer the MP54, which is currently in production for GO Transit.
Did you say, "MP54"?
To me, THIS is an MP54....
default_biggrin.png

https://www.google.com/search?q=prr+mp54&rlz=1C1CHZL_enUS739US739&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=p1eAcEBbasQMuM%253A%252C3Ul3x2RXM138hM%252C_&usg=__qRPPcNdyFT4tsYMqVH6yuijzSdQ%3D&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjI6Jfmr6HcAhXvct8KHa0UDTMQ9QEIQDAC#imgrc=p1eAcEBbasQMuM:
I did Penn Station to North Philadelphia on a holiday extra composed of 12 of these. We missed our intended train. Warned my grandmother to wait another 30 minutes for one of the DC trains. Ignored because I was 6, it took nearly 4 hours to go the 86 miles. Literally EVERY stop between New York and Philly, passed by 4 express trains, no bathrooms.
It was the last time my family didn't take my train advice. [emoji16]

One of the MARC Chargers didn’t do too well this morning on the Penn line. Aside from all the other issues this a.m. due to weather it seems that it died about 1000 feet after leaving WAS and had to back to the station.

By the sound of it they had a technician try and get it working but no luck.

Per TRAINS, July 2018:

The Michigan Services (specifically Wolverine and Blue Water) won’t be seeing the Charger soon. Delays in coordinating Siemens’ and Wabtec’s PTC software have prevented tests from being done. Once the component needed is installed, tests can begin. This means that P42s will be on MI services for the foreseeable future with replacement dates no earlier than Fall 2018.

Additionally, delays have jammed up the Lincoln Service as well, restraining the service to 79 MPH due to the fact that the Chargers were delivered with PTC screens but not cab signals. After trackwork along the line is completed and the new PTC-compliant system is up and running, 110 MPH should return to the service.
Interoperability appears to have only recently been acknowledged as a major PTC headache. It has now been added to the FRA PTC Dashboard (https://www.fra.dot.gov/app/ptc) and is the subject of various meetings. https://www.railwayage.com/cs/ptc/rssi-ptc-forum-interoperability-the-final-hurdle/

Chargers are definitely running on the Pere Marquette. I have photos of them (somewhere).
I did say specifically the Wolverine and Blue Water. We’ll probably bid farewell to the ITCS P42s in October or November, in time for the Thanksgiving travel season, if there aren’t more delays.

Another F59PHI left on the Southwest Chief last night, likely going to its new home in Chicago. Any updates on when the new Pacific Surfliner Chargers will enter service?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back