Current Amtrak documentation on max daytime sleeper accommodations?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Technically, that is the way things are. Only ticketed sleeper passengers are allowed in the sleepers. Some SCA's enforce it more than others. If I rode where someone was doing an obvious and disruptive tag team I would talk to the SCA about it, and if no action was taken, to the conductor. Luckily, I've never been in a situation something that disruptive occurred.
I thought of that, but also came to the conclusion it would be at least highly inconvenient, if not simply futile.

By the time I got dressed enough to go wandering for a SCA, the disruption would be over. If I could get the SCA to check, all he'll find is one or two people claiming to be sleeping in the subject roomette. At that point, it becomes my word against theirs; a no win (unless someone else sticks their head of their roomette to support me). I doubt the SCA would then stand guard for the next hour, to see if some coach passenger tries to enter the sleeping car for their turn in the subject roomette.
Since it was the middle of the night and the SCA was off duty, I would report it to the conductor. The conductors are on duty all night and one of them is almost always in the dining car throughout the night, so it wouldn't be necessary to run him down. The conductor has the manifest, and if one (or both) of the people in the roomette were not on the manifest, he could deal with it. That is not to say that he'd disturb the people in the roomette, but he might and he certainly has the authority to. I'd hand off the problem to him.

This is not meant as a criticism of you. You coped with a bad situation as best you could. All I am saying is that there are people who are up, on duty, and have the information (the manifest) and authority to deal with it 24 hours a day, and that reporting that situation would be well within anyone's rights.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unless there is a unique situation, I really think it should be a rule that only ticketed sleeping car passengers are permitted in the sleeping cars. No visitors.

Most of my sleeping car travels have been solo. I'm not paying for 2 people, I'm paying the price of my room and paying the price for my base fare.

If you research it you will find that the cost for one person used to be about half the cost for a bedroom. Along the way Amtrak decided if one person used the room they would have to pay for two. So the second person is already paid for in actuality except for the base fare for travel. And in day time another person you are traveling with can also occupy the sleeper for day or none sleeping use.

Regardless of what was, or what people want to believe is fair, the current rules charge once for the accommodation, and anyone using the room under whatever formula applies (berth or non berth) is required to pay the applicable rail fare. Another person you are traveling with can only occupy the space if they have paid the appropriate fare and are noted as such. An open sleeper ticket properly applied to your room, may be less expensive than a full coach fare, but the full fare passenger is not entitled to be in the sleeper.

At what point do the laws of physics come in to play here? There is a finite amount of space in sleeping accommodations - you would think at some point common sense would come in to play here.

At what point do the laws of physics come in to play here? There is a finite amount of space in sleeping accommodations - you would think at some point common sense would come in to play here.
Selfish human nature will almost always overcome common sense. For many people, if they can even marginally make their ride more comfortable, they will do that, even if it means that they're ripping off Amtrak and making things miserable for other passengers.

Back