Viewliner II Part 2: Dining Car Production, Delivery, Speculation

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The shower makes complete sense, but I just feel like I'm missing something in my count. Why would there be 6 on one side? That would be 4 on the other side. Keep all plumbing on one side? Just guessing, as I said I have seen neither floorplan or interior shots.

The shower makes complete sense, but I just feel like I'm missing something in my count. Why would there be 6 on one side? That would be 4 on the other side. Keep all plumbing on one side? Just guessing, as I said I have seen neither floorplan or interior shots.
I see what you are saying. 5 roomettes and 1 shower on one side BUT only 4 roomettes on the other side. There is no window next to the vestibule on the 4 window side, so we will assume that is the restroom module? Also we will assume that there is a door and wall between the baggage area and the sleeper rooms that runs perpendicular across the car. So there has to be something across from that shower room. What would it be? Storage? Mechanicals? We need to see a floorplan I guess to see what's there. Bag Dorm.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe the 2 bathrooms take up the space of 1 roomette.

You can see the various rooms here: http://www.railplan.com/caf---amtrak-viewliner-ii.html
From everything I've heard, that's correct. So assuming that all the double windows are roomettes, the single upper window is the shower, and there are two bathrooms, then there is space for *something* else across from the shower. Hmmm...
Could there be a conductor 'office' in that location?

I know it's tongue in cheek, but the Crew doesn't get to eat the Fresh and Contemporary Meals, they provide their own REAL Food![emoji848]
When I was on the OTOl railfest I saw the crew meet somebody from a local barbecue establishment to pick up food for the crew on 1 at new Iberia. One crew member took orders from crew members wanting to participate and called ahead.

I know it's tongue in cheek, but the Crew doesn't get to eat the Fresh and Contemporary Meals, they provide their own REAL Food![emoji848]
When I was on the OTOl railfest I saw the crew meet somebody from a local barbecue establishment to pick up food for the crew on 1 at new Iberia. One crew member took orders from crew members wanting to participate and called ahead.
Happens in Taylor too on the Texas Eagle!The Chicago crews love them some Texas Q!

That sort of thing has been going on for years...in fact, when the diner's had real fresh ingredients, and chef's that knew what to do with them, they would often prepare 'off-the-menu' items for the crew's only, to dine on...not sure if it was "allowed" officially, or not, but it did go on....
default_wink.png

That sort of thing has been going on for years...in fact, when the diner's had real fresh ingredients, and chef's that knew what to do with them, they would often prepare 'off-the-menu' items for the crew's only, to dine on...not sure if it was "allowed" officially, or not, but it did go on....
default_wink.png
Those were the days......it was great...

Just watched this youtube video and it gives a good look at the new Viewliner dinner (2:50 - 4:28). Since it looks like the crew is as usual taking up two tables for setup and their own personal belongings (losing 8 seats) and the huge ADA area now takes up 6 more, the traditional 48 seat diner is now reduced to 34 seats!

No wonder Amtrak is losing money on their food service. This train often has 5 coaches and 3 sleepers full of hungry captive people. This is a setup for failure.

....when the Diners had real fresh ingredients, and chef's that knew what to do with them, they would often prepare 'off-the-menu' items for the crew's only,
"Crew Hash" had been a staple of pre-Amtrak Diners, and I'm sure the practice continued into the Amtrak era.

Just watched this youtube video and it gives a good look at the new Viewliner dinner (2:50 - 4:28). Since it looks like the crew is as usual taking up two tables for setup and their own personal belongings (losing 8 seats) and the huge ADA area now takes up 6 more, the traditional 48 seat diner is now reduced to 34 seats!

No wonder Amtrak is losing money on their food service. This train often has 5 coaches and 3 sleepers full of hungry captive people. This is a setup for failure.

I didn't know diner's had 'ADA' area's....
default_unsure.png

Yes. IIRC, one table at the end of the car has bench seating on only one side. The other is open, to a largish open area at the end of the car, so that someone in a wheelchair can roll up to the table. The open area is also useful for passengers standing while waiting to be seated.

Seems like it would be very difficult to move thru a train in a wheelchair...and now, since the diner fare is hardly worth making the trip, it would seem all the more reason to have attendant get the meal for a person using a wheelchair...

Back