Fire Richard Anderson Campaign?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have to say a lot of times I think people assign complex motives and good intentions to others because they themselves have good motives and just assume others in the human race naturally have them to. Unfortunately, in my experience you have to understand that some people in positions of power actually don't want to improve what they are responsible for. They are just there because they like power for the sake of it and it feeds there ego. If it means destroying what they are in charge of. So be it.

I hope I am wrong about Anderson, but I haven't seen any hard evidence of him being committed to passenger rail. I don't think he has some deep motivation to increase funding and service by threatening cuts. He just seems to enjoy cutting because he can.

Maybe I am wrong. I will be happy to admit my mistake and be his biggest supporter if Amtrak service is greatly improved and expanded under his tenure.

Big oil wan't too happy when Delta bought an oil refinery to help it with its jet fuel costs.
Big oil (Phillips) sold it to them. It was a win-win because Phillips wanted to unload it and Delta looked at it as an innovative fuel hedge strategy.

"It also depends on what is the definition of "improve", ""

Well my definition of improve is on time, faster and more frequent Amtrak trains on the current routes plus expanded service to new routes and places with new equipment and good customer service. I think most passengers would agree with that definition.

The real issue is whether the Board and Congress agrees with our most likely minority opinion as far as new routes etc. go. But we labor on nonetheless as we always have. I am not very confident that more of the same is actually a wise and viable course, and I don’t think the enthusiasts are necessarily ready to take a fresh look at what needs to be done differently. Mind you I am not suggesting that what the current regime is doing is the right thing. But I am not sure what the previous regime was doing was the right thing either.

Big oil wan't too happy when Delta bought an oil refinery to help it with its jet fuel costs.
Big oil (Phillips) sold it to them. It was a win-win because Phillips wanted to unload it and Delta looked at it as an innovative fuel hedge strategy.
There is no evidence that "Big oil" (whoever that is) "wasn't too happy"- if you have any, I'd love to see it.

Let me explain the full context of the remark, that seems to be missed: Earlier in this thread a poster listed reasons for Anderson's behavior. One of them (which he considered possible but unlikely) was being in bed with big oil. I was pointing out that he has a track record of taking an action to benefit his organization, not the leaders of an other industry. Oil companies as a group would have no reason to be happy with an action that increases supply and lowers or stabilizes pricing over time. It also removes some pricing power. Nothing sinister, a normal reaction. Certainly not something people would want to be too vocal about or put in writing.

Let me explain the full context of the remark, that seems to be missed: Earlier in this thread a poster listed reasons for Anderson's behavior. One of them (which he considered possible but unlikely) was being in bed with big oil. I was pointing out that he has a track record of taking an action to benefit his organization, not the leaders of an other industry. Oil companies as a group would have no reason to be happy with an action that increases supply and lowers or stabilizes pricing over time. It also removes some pricing power. Nothing sinister, a normal reaction. Certainly not something people would want to be too vocal about or put in writing.
I have always been curious about why oil companies, as well as gas and electric utilities, seem to encourage energy efficiency. It that all just "good public relation's"?

And electric utilities also seem to encourage people to install solar panels, and sell back to the 'grid' excess. Same reason? Or does it save them from further infrastructure investment to meet peak demands?

I have always been curious about why oil companies, as well as gas and electric utilities, seem to encourage energy efficiency. It that all just "good public relation's"?

And electric utilities also seem to encourage people to install solar panels, and sell back to the 'grid' excess. Same reason? Or does it save them from further infrastructure investment to meet peak demands?
A bit off topic but...

Oil companies are about get a roll back of efficiency standards for cars.

Power utility are pushing back on the idea of buying excess solar power. In Hawaii you must have a battery collector, and can not send power into the grid. Other states such as Arizona are no longer required there utility to buy excessive solar electricity. Arizona did a complete change with no grandfather of current providers.

Here in NY you can have 10kw of solar and the electric company is required to buy your extra power. For now.

A bit off topic but...

Oil companies are about get a roll back of efficiency standards for cars.

Power utility are pushing back on the idea of buying excess solar power. In Hawaii you must have a battery collector, and can not send power into the grid. Other states such as Arizona are no longer required there utility to buy excessive solar electricity. Arizona did a complete change with no grandfather of current providers.

Here in NY you can have 10kw of solar and the electric company is required to buy your extra power. For now.
The beauty of solar power, from an electric company's perspective, is that it's at peak production during times of peak demand. But they'd generally rather own the means of production themselves, instead of buying solar electricity from homeowners. Many state governments have required net metering because the public-interest case for broadly distributed electric-power production is compelling (unless you're a market ideologue, in which case the purported magical power of the "free" market idol trumps everything).

I am sure big oil politics and solar generation has a lot to do with firing Richard Anderson. But I am still figuring out how.
default_wink.png

Wow. That's pretty ballsy. Not sure that is going to last long there. If the cop put it on, he could be reassigned. Best keep politics and your job separate.
It might not be a good idea, but its still pretty sweet. Kudos to him for having the nerve to speak his mind like that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Closely related: Amtrak has declined to operate the annual Toys for Tots train, saying it “doesn’t fit with the business model”. They appear to have ticked off the Marines in the process.

https://wnyt.com/news/no-toys-for-tots-train-amtrak/5015460/

Say what you want about Anderson, but this is a low blow no matter how you dice it.
As far as I'm concerned there is a special place in hell for Richard and Stephen over this one. A train that doesn't take passengers just toys for disadvantaged children.

I can see red over this one. I might just email both of those men over this one

I think Anderson doesn't understand that Amtrak is ultimately a political creature in a way that cannot be avoided. It is subject to direct political pressure and influence in ways that most companies, including Delta are not.

He's going to get schooled. From a PR and political support standpoint this is just stupid.

Very bad public relations move for Amtrak, but I am confident that some other corporate sponsor(s) will be glad to pick up the ball and run with it....

The Toys for Tots train would fall under his BS no chartered movements if I had to guess. But I’m sorry that is despicable to cancel such a train that is for the people that are less fortunate. He keeps ticking me off on new levels everyday. I can’t wait for this (insert choice words here) to be removed.

Now the sad thing is that whoever takes over for him will have a hell of a lot of work to do to make Amtrak credible again. Aka the David Gunn term.

Very bad public relations move for Amtrak, but I am confident that some other corporate sponsor(s) will be glad to pick up the ball and run with it....
Let's just say the PV community has been mobilizing since this news broke this evening. We're going to try and resurrect it. But in all seriousness write your congressmen even if they are from different states and tell them about this. Especially if your congressmen served in the armed forces especially the marines.

Especially because the Marine Corp is one of the main sponsors of Toys for Tots. If I was running a political campaign against Gardner or Anderson I can see several ways you can spin this for a negative campaign ad.

But I will say that everyone I've talked to tonight is actively trying to do something. We're waiving the charter fees for our two cars, and likely will eat the deadhead because it's a good cause. I'm sure several others will as well.

#sendgardnerbacktothegarden

#saveamtrakfireanderson

Closely related: Amtrak has declined to operate the annual Toys for Tots train, saying it “doesn’t fit with the business model”. They appear to have ticked off the Marines in the process.

https://wnyt.com/news/no-toys-for-tots-train-amtrak/5015460/

Say what you want about Anderson, but this is a low blow no matter how you dice it.
I don’t see that quote in the article. Where is it from?
Marine Toys for Tots organizers tell NewsChannel 13 Amtrak has informed them it no longer fits within their business model.

Back