Viewliner II Part 2: Dining Car Production, Delivery, Speculation

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There still are a few more Diners yet to be delivered. The ones that were skipped.
Including Dover - if they deem to be kind enough to deliver it. (had to get that in before TR7 did
default_mosking.gif
)
Surprising that something from Delaware .... etc. .... etc.
default_help.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Got a glimpse of Springfield and Tallahassee being pulled to Ivy City with the rest of 161 late last night: IMG_2511.jpg

I would guess they’ll likely go on the back of one of the silvers today?

I still wonder what they will do with these dining cars. They could add them to diner lite service on the Cardinal. If they want to use it as a lounge for the Star, they'll need one more.

I still wonder what they will do with these dining cars. They could add them to diner lite service on the Cardinal. If they want to use it as a lounge for the Star, they'll need one more.
Selfishly, my vote is for the Cardinal. I’ve only been in one of the new cars once - breakfast on an abbreviated ride LYH-WAS on the Crescent. It was a heck of a nice car. If they put it on the Card - I’ll be able to enjoy it this fall on one of my autumn trips to the Windy City.

Here are a few shots if the new cars. 97 at Winter Park had in all 9 Viewliners today and 6 Amfleet IIs. It was a long train

Bag Dorm

IMG_5112.jpg

Tallahassee

IMG_5114.jpg

Springfield

IMG_5116.jpg

Bag Dorm

IMG_5120.jpg

Concord

IMG_5121.jpg

I have a very good video of it arriving. I will share it when I get a chance soon.

Here is the video I promised:

https://youtu.be/LpBcN5EFtS8

One thing I noticed is that even the newest cars have Columbia Casting (ex-Buckeye) components in their GSI trucks. This implies that Columbia Casting may have fulfilled its contract for the trucks of the entire Viewliner II order before going out of business.

Did Amsted buy the rights to the GSI designs? Perhaps the later ones were done by them, which would (partially) account for some of the delays when they took the line. I'm just speculating, I do see the GSI designs offered on their website now, and we know they aren't coming from CSC. Curious...

That new rail-car smell is refreshing. The bag-dorm rooms are very nice. They are going to put the Viewliner I rooms to shame.
That would be nice, no rattling, doors that stay close, but the location of the bathroom will be a issue.The great bathroom debate will be restarting in 5-4-3.....
People can and will have to get over the bathrooms. The concept has worked all this time on the Superliners. The new debate will be the room door locks.
What’s happening with the door locks?

Conductors have been issued sextants and they will be using that window to shoot sights at high noon, GMT. They have found that the GPS units were too sloppy and could be off by several meters, so they have decided to go back to the more accurate celestial navigation methods.

What is that extra upper window on the bag-dorms for?

In looking at the picture again, do I see 5 lower and 6 upper? i was figuring 5 per side for 10 mods (8 room mod 1 toilet mod one shower mod ) which would make one extra visible. But not knowing the actual layout, that's just a guess. Has anyone seen an actual floor plan or been inside?

Back