98 getting stabbed MIA-HOL

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anderson

Engineer
So, over the last few weeks I've noticed [1] that train 98 has lost 40-50 minutes between Miami, FL and Hollywood, FL on several occations I'm counting the same delay showing up four times. On three of the four occasions, this occurred in spite of 98 leaving Miami on time (on the fourth occasion, 98 was already down close to an hour leaving Miami). Since I think "four times in two weeks" counts as a pattern, does anyone know what's causing this (e.g. is it construction work for the Tri-Rail link to Miami Central)?

[1] Mainly because I happened to be on two of the four iterations of 98 leaving RVR, which led to some very *ahem* interesting mornings. Many thanks to the CEO for facilitating an enjoyable morning wait on the back porch of the station...

Most of the time, it had some equipment problem almost immediately out of the gate, stopped to correct the problem, continued and arrived at the next stop late.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any construction work required for Tri-Rail to get to Miami Central would be taking place south of the Amtrak station so it shouldnt have any effect on the Meteor or Star.

Any construction work required for Tri-Rail to get to Miami Central would be taking place south of the Amtrak station so it shouldnt have any effect on the Meteor or Star.
That is correct. All construction work needed to get Tri-Rail to Miami Central is at Iris south of Amtrak Miami, and has been completed several months back. The Iris connection has been in service for at least a couple of months now. The holdup is getting Tri-Rail equipment equipped with the FECR EATC cab signal and PTC. EATC is different from the I-ETMS (and ironically similar in principle to ACSES) that is used on the ex-CSX Tri-Rail trackage as Tr-Rail gets its PTC act together.

Further north, the connection between Tri-Rail and FECR north of West Palm Beach has been completed for the southbound Tr-Rail to FECR connection, and the construction on the northbound to FECR connection is yet to begin.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back