Amtrak Siemens Charger locomotive (SC44, ALC42, ALC42E)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Marc has been adding Marc logos on the nose of their chargers slowly. It looks way better then when they arrived.

http://railpictures.net/photo/663978/

Photo Credit to my good friend Matt Donnelly.
Oh wow. Way better. Looking at some "before and after" pics now, the Chargers looked pretty weird initially. Surprising how big a difference a little thing like that can make.
It was definitely odd to say the least. But the one thing that’s for sure was it needed something. And the Marc logo is perfect for it.
IMHO - The MARC Chargers look just fine IRL. The silver really pops. When coupled to an MP36, they do look smaller. However, they also look more modern. MARC has said that they are reliable and will share the higher speed duties with refurbished HHP-8s north of Baltimore. The logo is a nice addition, but the MP36s have always had them. Maybe just an oversight?

Last edited by a moderator:
As I've said before, I'm still not totally sold on the Charger look. The front window looks too small, and I don't like how the nose looks like it was chopped off. It just doesn't look quite right.

As I've said before, I'm still not totally sold on the Charger look. The front window looks too small, and I don't like how the nose looks like it was chopped off. It just doesn't look quite right.
Judging looks is always so personal. I remember standing as a small boy watching the New York Central steam locomotives at the old Elyria, Ohio passenger station. To this day, the NYC look is still my favorite. But I know it is just because I saw it first.

Judging looks is always so personal. I remember standing as a small boy watching the New York Central steam locomotives at the old Elyria, Ohio passenger station. To this day, the NYC look is still my favorite. But I know it is just because I saw it first.
I'll be honest I've only ever seen a Mohawk I was attempting to restore once and I love the NYC look as well. But I think the Hudson is the epitome of a steam locomotives. Partially due to Lionel.

I watched very closely as MARC Charger 87 went by my Green line Metro Rail train today. The Charger was pushing a train south on the Camden Line toward DC as I headed north. I could see the MARC on the nose but you had to look carefully. This change will improve pictures from the front but appears to have a relatively small effect on the overall look. I like the Chargers in MARC silver-orange-blue better than any other current color scheme. I’m looking forward to the dynamic Coaster livery and wondering if ACE will take advantage of its unique colors. Amtrak standard blue and silver could be okay with the right pattern, if Amtrak buys Chargers for the non-state routes.

I watched very closely as MARC Charger 87 went by my Green line Metro Rail train today. The Charger was pushing a train south on the Camden Line toward DC as I headed north. I could see the MARC on the nose but you had to look carefully. This change will improve pictures from the front but appears to have a relatively small effect on the overall look. I like the Chargers in MARC silver-orange-blue better than any other current color scheme. I’m looking forward to the dynamic Coaster livery and wondering if ACE will take advantage of its unique colors. Amtrak standard blue and silver could be okay with the right pattern, if Amtrak buys Chargers for the non-state routes.
Or, perhaps, if they could afford it, Phase IIIb.

That makes me wonder. Will anyone ever do a rendering of the Charger in regular Amtrak Phase V or maybe even Phase IIIb paint?

Or, perhaps, if they could afford it, Phase IIIb.

That makes me wonder. Will anyone ever do a rendering of the Charger in regular Amtrak Phase V or maybe even Phase IIIb paint?
Amtrak bought none for themselves so probably not. I doubt the State owners are willing to shell out money to paint them in livery that has nothing to do with them.

Marc has been adding Marc logos on the nose of their chargers slowly. It looks way better then when they arrived.

Oh wow. Way better. Looking at some "before and after" pics now, the Chargers looked pretty weird initially. Surprising how big a difference a little thing like that can make.
It was definitely odd to say the least. But the one thing that’s for sure was it needed something. And the Marc logo is perfect for it.
IMHO - The MARC Chargers look just fine IRL. The silver really pops. When coupled to an MP36, they do look smaller. However, they also look more modern. MARC has said that they are reliable and will share the higher speed duties with refurbished HHP-8s north of Baltimore. The logo is a nice addition, but the MP36s have always had them. Maybe just an oversight?
I really hope they keep the hippos captive to certain trains, otherwise, either the Charger-hauled trains will all be late, or the hippo-hauled trains will be early and have to sit, or simply be run at a lower speed than they're capable of.

I really hope they keep the hippos captive to certain trains, otherwise, either the Charger-hauled trains will all be late, or the hippo-hauled trains will be early and have to sit, or simply be run at a lower speed than they're capable of.
Why would the charger trains be late? They're rated for 125 mph. If anything the MP36 unit would make trains late, and they already do. The MP36 units are painfully slow to accelerate to high speeds. They aren't really made for service along the NEC.

Why would the charger trains be late? They're rated for 125 mph. If anything the MP36 unit would make trains late, and they already do. The MP36 units are painfully slow to accelerate to high speeds. They aren't really made for service along the NEC.
There is some discussion of this subject at two separate places in the poorly edited MRAC April minutes at https://mta.maryland.gov/sites/default/files/MARCRAC_Minutes_20178-04-19.pdf . Remember that MARC’s HHP-8s are being refurbished.
I also guess that Siemens could have done some renderings in typical Amtrak paint schemes to try and sell the long distance options. But the public probably won’t see those for a while, if ever. Train simulator renderings might exist.

Siemens is the odds on favorite to replace the Genesis. There is an unidentified customer that has options for Chargers with larger fuel tanks.

It was rumored that Amtrak was going back to Phase 3 livery and we that with the VL II order. Now whether the livery plans change with Anderson at the helm remains to be seen. Amtrak may debut a new livery that willl grace the new Chargers.

Siemens is the odds on favorite to replace the Genesis. There is an unidentified customer that has options for Chargers with larger fuel tanks.

It was rumored that Amtrak was going back to Phase 3 livery and we that with the VL II order. Now whether the livery plans change with Anderson at the helm remains to be seen. Amtrak may debut a new livery that willl grace the new Chargers.
I would certainly hope that Amtrak continues with the Phase III scheme on the long distance Services. They’ve already started the Amtrak America brand, might as well finish it out, and give the corridor services the Vb on new equipment.

If it works like the corridor locomotives, there are 150 long distance options available to essentially anyone associated with a government in the USA. Is this different or is it someone who may exercise the existing options? Also, does anyone know when the ability to exercise the current options expires? I know that they aren’t available forever, but I have been unable to find the date.

About the options. Who is the controlling agency for the options ? Midwest coalition ? To dole out the options is any money involved ? Maybe just the amount that the controlling agency paid for each option ? Any dates known for each option's expiration ?

As a note on the Charger nose shape. I thought that the lower section had a reverse slope and curve to discourage anything the locomotive hit from riding up the front and entering the engineer’s cab. It may not be conventional but safety trumps looks. You see this reverse slope on various modern locomotives including the British Classes 68/88 and many Alstom European locomotives.

^^^ What he said.

Chargers are going to help solve the problem that MARC has had for years with diesel trains on the Penn Line.
Because they're still diesels, each with half the horsepower rating of an HHP-8.

^^^ What he said.

Chargers are going to help solve the problem that MARC has had for years with diesel trains on the Penn Line.
Because they're still diesels, each with half the horsepower rating of an HHP-8.
But isn't it that even for the horsepower it has, the MP36s are relatively slow to accelerate?

Raw power availability does not always translate directly.... different motors have different characteristics, and things such as gearing, adhesion and available tractive effort factor in. Also, how much power is lost (if any) to HEP load. The electrics (as a group) will generally accelerate a comparable load faster. Hopefully, someone like JIS will step in, he has an excellent manner in breaking it down into more clearly understood concepts. Control systems factor in also.

^^^ What he said.

And they’ve been tested at 125 MPH on the NEC. Your point in baseless.

It isn't just an equation of maximum speed rating, it is very important to look at how long it takes to get to a given speed while hauling a given load. This is especially important in operations where stations may not be that far apart. acceleration rates (regardless of available power) are tempered by consideration of passenger comfort and adhesion...

Raw power availability does not always translate directly.... different motors have different characteristics, and things such as gearing, adhesion and available tractive effort factor in. Also, how much power is lost (if any) to HEP load. The electrics (as a group) will generally accelerate a comparable load faster. Hopefully, someone like JIS will step in, he has an excellent manner in breaking it down into more clearly understood concepts. Control systems factor in also.
See http://cs.trains.com/trn/f/111/t/75858.aspx for a quick refresher of the Physics. It should be then obvious how they relate. If it is not, ping me, and we can go over it.

^^^ What he said.

And theyve been tested at 125 MPH on the NEC. Your point in baseless.
I think you're missing MattW's point. While they will perform better than your typical diesel, they would be hard pressed to accelerate faster than the HHP's and that is the key to commuter service. It is a sprint, not a marathon.

^^^ What he said.

And they’ve been tested at 125 MPH on the NEC. Your point in baseless.
Unfortunately it is not only top speed that determines a train’s time between stations. It is also how quickly the train can get up to its top speed or the maximum speed allowed for the track. A higher horsepower locomotive will get up to speed quicker. Its average speed will be higher even if it’s maximum speed is the same. Higher average speed means shorter times between stations. Closer stations make acceleration more important.
8,000 hp > 4400 hp. An HHP-8 (or ACS-64) can really haul out of a station. The MARC Rider Advisory Council minutes say that MARC is going to use Chargers and refurbished HHP-8 on the higher speed sections north of Baltimore (a stretch with fewer stops). http://perryvillemd.vt-s.net/sites/perryvillemd/files/file/file/marc-train-map.gif

Back